community welcome basket

Started by indygal, January 11, 2007, 09:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

To all the fine folks of Howard and Elk County, Terrell and I express our thanks for the lovely welcome basket from the Chamber of Commerce. All of the thoughtful gifts and gift certificates are greatly appreciated and most certainly will be put to good use. We already feel very much welcome in the community, and the gifts simply confirmed our impression that Howard is going to be a great place to call home.

My only regret is that I wasn't able to meet Marjean, as I was visiting family in Illinois and Indiana that weekend. Please be sure to stop by again soon to say hello, won't you?

Janet Harrington

Well, Hallelujah.  I am so glad to hear that someone got a welcome basket.  I've heard about those, but never knew that they were given out.  In my first marriage, while living in El Dorado, I got a welcome basket.  That was one of the neatest things to get.  I'm glad our Chamber does this.

MarineMom

I did not know there were welcome baskets in Howard is it a new thing? Nobody gave me a welcome basket when I moved here 2 years ago :'(
does that mean I was not welcome  :-\  :o :laugh:

Wilma

I didn't get a basket, either, but we had been part time residents since 1993 and I don't think anybody realized that I had moved here permanently until I had been here for several months.  In other words, I was not a newcomer to the community.

Joanna

Marty and I received a welcome basket too, and what fun we had going through it that night.  It is great seeing all the participating merchants & businesses ~ some we didn't even know about till then!  There were some great goodies in there, and lots of helpful business cards & brochures.  Thanks so much to the Howard Chamber for going to the effort of making them up and Marjean especially for delivery!

Even though Marty grew up here, a lot has changed (in xx years!); and when we need anything from a hair cut to a building contractor, how do we know who to call?  The phone book is about the only resource, and it's not a lot of help!  I know that only a fraction of the stores in Howard & Elk County participate (it's like that everywhere), but the others don't know how much cheap advertising and PR they are missing!  When I need something now, the first folks I'm going to think of are the ones I learned about with that welcome basket.

Our boys remembered that when we moved back to the farm 12 or 13 years ago, we received a welcome basket also.  They were about 7 and 13 year old at the time and loved going through it and looking at all the "goodies".  We were only here about a year, then moved again for Marty's job, but our famiy sitting on the floor pouring through that basket is a great memory.

MarineMom, I'm sure they didn't have them when you moved here, or somehow you slipped by them on accident.  I know Marjean had several other baskets in her vehicle when she stopped by (my dog tried to catch a ride with her), so I'm sure they never leave anyone out intentionally.

Small town Chambers work off volunteer labor, like most of the groups that actually 'get things done'; and someone has to have the vision and energy to visit each of the business, talk them into participating, pick up their contributions (sometimes it takes several visits!), bundle it up nice, then find out the new arrivals and load up for delivery ~ it is surely exhausting.  I really do appreciate the effort AND all the goodies.  "Thanks" again.

MarineMom

Quote from: Joanna on January 12, 2007, 08:07:54 AM
MarineMom, I'm sure they didn't have them when you moved here, or somehow you slipped by them on accident.  I know Marjean had several other baskets in her vehicle when she stopped by (my dog tried to catch a ride with her), so I'm sure they never leave anyone out intentionally.

I know I just had to tease a little. :-[ I have been made to feel very welcome here by everyone I have met and I really enjoy living in Howard.

Joanna

Yeah, I knew you were just teasing.  If we all didn't have good sense of humor, we'd have no reason to read half this forum.  I LOVE it!

hhjacobs

Hi there all of you , It is nice to know the baskets were appreciated. I am havng trouble finding some of the new ones home. I'm thinking maybe they are not here full time. I'm sure the businesses would like to hear personally from you that you really enjoyed the baskets.
Marine Mom,I just stared doing this a year ago, but when we bought our house in 2002 we got a small basket.Nothing like whats being given now.
Indygal.I would be pleased to met,you we live at 344 E. Randolph if you would like to drop by.
Marjean

hhjacobs

Hi, Humbolt transplant and Indgal, Would you mind if I sent your nice comments to the paper? I will be including your names but not your pictures. I really hope you will say yes. Our paper needs more input from Howard.

genealogynut

" Our paper needs more input from Howard."  (Quote from Marjean)

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk