Do You Remember?

Started by Wilma, November 06, 2013, 11:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Do you remember when there was a fad of how many people could get into a single vehicle?  Do you know when and where this started?

I was a sophomore in high school in 1946 when one of my female classmates decided to see how many of her friends she could get into her parent's four door sedan.  She was also fond of getting me as close to her twin brother as possible.  So the first one into the car was me, through the driver's door.  I had to move over so her brother could be in the driver's seat.  By that time she had put at least three people in the passenger side, possibly four.  This left at least eight of our group for the back seat.  I don't remember that we went anywhere, maybe because the twin brother refused to drive with so many passengers.  I think we did manage to get the doors closed.

Do you remember?

W. Gray

What I remember is telephone booth stuffing but cannot remember exactly when that occurred.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember watching some of my peers cramming into a telephone booth. I did not want to participate because it looked like someone was going to get hurt. Someone did and then they decided to stop.

I looked around on the internet and one site says the car stuffing started around 1959 as well as 1959 for the auto stuffing. You said 1946, maybe you were the vanguard.

The record for both car and telephone booth was 26 kids according to some info on the web.

I also recall at the circus in Kansas City a really small car came driving out to the ring and a good number of clowns got out. I did not count them but it seemed like the clowns would never end. A story on the web says that the circus cars had no seats and anywhere up to 27 clowns could fit in. A web site says this started with the Cole Brothers Circus in 1950.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

It was 1946.  We were a very small school and most of us had been together for six years or more.  This one friend was a ring leader, not only at school, but with her twin brother and their younger brother.  One nice spring day, she decided that since the seniors had a skip day, that the sophomores could have one, too.  So we six sophomores and most of the freshman class skipped one afternoon.  We took two cars, one for the girls and one for the boys.  At the end of the afternoon, most of us had to get back to school to get a ride home, but my friend and her brothers and the ones that rode to school with them, went on home and the rest of us went back to town.  I don't remember getting into any trouble for skipping.  Neither at school nor at home.  That was a fun time.  None of my other schools were quite as much like family as this one was.

sixdogsmom

When I was a girl, we lived about a block from a Mennonite church where I often attended Sunday School. The pastor and his wife were young people and enjoyed children. They hosted a craft night in their home each Wednesday night, and the pastor picked up kids in his old car. Sometimes we rode three deep and four across in that back seat. Not too much of a problem until somebody had to get out, then it was a scramble to make sure everybody got out, then back in again. I shudder to think what might have happened if there were an accident. I still have one of the items I made in that class as a gift to my mom. Good times and good memories.  ;) ;)
Edie

Warph

Do you remember...?

When little girls and boys

Playing with imaginary toys

Waking up all warm and safe

With their innocence stored in faith

When moms and dads, they held us tight

They taught us love and not to fight

Where your world is a sand box, warm and gritty

And your first true love was a calico kitty

Untouched and pure

Kind and true

Where families held together and parents did too

Can you remember when, way back when?

When hearts weren't shattered into pieces for sport

When lives again and again weren't torn all apart

Where nothing could put them back together again

Not all the kings' horses and all the kings' men

Do you... remember when?

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Wilma

Yes, Warp, I remember, but then I am considered old.  My calico kitty was a persian.  Now he is a gray shorthair, but just as persnickety.

Warph

You're not old, Wilma... just well seasoned and sharp as a tack  ;)
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Wilma

Thank you, Warph, unless that "sharp as a tack" refers to the point on my head.

Warph

Quote from: Wilma on November 08, 2013, 06:29:13 PM
Thank you, Warph, unless that "sharp as a tack" refers to the point on my head.

LOL...  :laugh:
--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk