Location, location, location

Started by ddurbin, July 28, 2013, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin

Here's a question that seems somewhat related to some other current discussions on the Forum:
Why is the Elk County Free Fair held within the city limits of Longton, but the Howard Fair is held outside of Howard's city limits?  Do the locations really matter that much?

ddurbin

Here's a follow-up question.  Why is there a State Football Champions sign located at the entrance to Grenola when the high school is and was at the time located in Burden?  I suppose Ross will see fit to move this over to 'his' thread since it relates to a topic he seems deeply disturbed about.

farmgal67357

I don't think it is called the "Howard" fair, it's the Elk County Fair isn't it? And I think it is held at the county fairgrounds. I've only been here a couple of years, but that's how I thought it was.
Lisa
Lisa

readyaimduck

You are right, Lisa.  Elk County means just that....Elk County is inclusive of   all towns.
Whoever has the best facilities to host will do just that....host the County fair.  <emphasis on COUNTY>
In the 3 counties that I deal with, only 1 county fair is hosted within the city limits.
Perhaps Howard can't live up to all the.....never mind.  That is for another topic.

Location?  Let the Political battle be started.  Gentleman:
Start your propoganda. (sp)

ready

Bullwinkle

I remember having a 4-H fair an grounds they maintained, as well as all the county fairs. Where the facility was located didn't matter. Let's just be glad we still keep them going. Who cares where?

Wilma

True.  It is silly to squabble about where the county fair should be.  The Sedgwick County Fair is held in Cheney which is almost out of the county of Sedgwick.

frawin

Wilma, I think both Fairs are County Fairs, the 4H fair is at Howard one year and then at Longton next. In pulling both Fairs up on the Internet, the Howard Fair is referrd to as the Howard Elk County Fair, the Longton one is referred to as the Longton Free Fair. Somewhere I have one of the old Howard Elk County Fair Posters from the 50s and 60s. I will try to find it.

Wilma

One year in Longton, the next year in Howard, seems like a resonable solution to me.  But, Howard people seem to think that Longton is too far to go and Longton people seem to think the same about Howard.  Has it always been this way?

frawin

Quote from: Wilma on July 29, 2013, 07:01:05 AM
One year in Longton, the next year in Howard, seems like a resonable solution to me.  But, Howard people seem to think that Longton is too far to go and Longton people seem to think the same about Howard.  Has it always been this way?
No it it wasn't to far in my day, Myrna and I used to haul our horses to Longton for their Grand Entry Parade.

frawin

Wilma, in fact in our day the Howard Saddleclub all went to Longton To ride in their Grand Entry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk