Desert News

Started by Warph, June 07, 2013, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Guide Dog Killed While Performing Heroic Act

ATLANTA -- An Atlanta family is mourning the loss of a beloved guide dog who left them with one final heroic act.

Seconds after he was struck by a car, Simon, an 80 pound Boxer, pushed his owner's child to safety.

"This is true loyalty and courage," said Dave Furukawa.

Furukawa, who is visually impaired, has counted on Simon as his companion and guide for the last four years.

On Monday, Furukawa was walking his child Will to school. Simon was by their side. As they crossed Brownwood Avenue in S.E. Atlanta, witnesses saw a car run a stop sign and strike Simon, then Dave Furukawa.

Bystanders have told the Furukawa family that Simon's protective instinct kicked in, despite injuries that would prove to be fatal.

"What people have said is that Simon either got up or jumped out, and pushed my son out of the path of the car," said Furukawa.

Witnesses lifted Will and ran him down the street to his mother. Simon went with them.

"Broken leg, gash on his side and internal bleeding, but he followed home," said Furukawa. "Once he was sure Will was okay, he laid down."

Family members rushed Simon to an emergency vet clinic, but the boxer died on the way.

Atlanta police say Calvin Armour was cited with running a stop sign and failing to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Pilot Dogs, Inc., of Columbus, Ohio, provided Simon. The executive director told 11Alive the organization will give Dave Furukawa another guide dog and training.

Furukawa says he will move on with the spirit of Simon.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

NPS Finally Allowing Some Parks To Re-Open... If States Pay For It

(Nancy Pelosi can be seen top-left in picture after pushing 'Granny' off the clift)

States have been offering to pay to keep the parks open since the beginning of the shutdown. But the Obama administration has dragged their feet, seeking to impose as much pain as possible. But now, faced with multiple legal challenges to their "policies of pain", this may be their way of getting out of trouble.

Many of the people with businesses shut down have already paid fees for use of the land and have filed or plan to file lawsuits, simply as an action to survive.

Via Washington Times:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/11/utah-parks-reopen-arizona-still-waiting/

Utah has agreed to pay the federal government $1.7 million to open up eight national parks during the government shutdown, and the National Park Service officials said they would consider similar agreements with other states — but were apparently "dragging their feet" with Arizona.

After being battered for its decision-making during the shutdown, the park service is trying to regain its footing, including opening up monuments in Washington and Philadelphia to First Amendment activities, which in essence makes them open to anyone who knows the policy.

After first floating the potential for a deal for individual states on Thursday, the park service said it had finalized an agreement with Utah on Friday.

"This is a practical and temporary solution that will lessen the pain for some businesses and communities in Utah during this shutdown," Interior Department Secretary Sally Jewell said.

But Utah is the only state to get a deal so far. Arizona has been desperate to get the Grand Canyon reopened, and Republican Gov. Jan Brewer had a conversation Friday with Ms. Jewell. Since then, however, the state said it has heard nothing.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Wyoming Bison vs. Government Shutdown

Bison Vs. Barrycades.
Hint?  Barrycades Lose

Two bison make their distaste for the Obuma shutdown known.

No innocent-bisonstanders here,
they readily own up to their civil disobedience. 
They look at the camera and seem to be saying,
"You talking to me?"

Park Police not too anxious to take on these "trespassers".
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

THE COLORS OF DEATH VALLEY

Photograph by TREY RATCLIFF

In this fantastic capture by world-famous travel photographer Trey Ratcliff, we see the multi-colored landscape of Death Valley. Located in Eastern California and situated within the Mojave Desert, Death Valley is the lowest, hottest and driest area in North America.

Death Valley's Badwater Basin is the point of the lowest elevation in North America at 282 feet (86 m) below sea level. Death Valley's Furnace Creek holds the record for the highest reliably reported air temperature in the world, 134 °F (56.7 °C) on July 10, 1913. Located near the border of California and Nevada, in the Great Basin, east of the Sierra Nevada mountains, Death Valley constitutes much of Death Valley National Park. [Source]

Death Valley National Park is the largest national park in the lower 48 states and has been declared an International Biosphere Reserve. Approximately 95% of the park is a designated wilderness area.
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

***Hero Dog Of The Year***

The nation's top therapy dog, a pit bull named Elle (pronounced Ellie) from Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina who helps teach children about dog safety, reading, and overcoming prejudice and stereotypes – something a pit bull knows too much about – has been named this year's "American Hero Dog" at the 2013 American Humane Association Hero Dog Awards™. Elle and her human companion Leah Brewer were presented with the nation's top honors on October 5th at the star-studded Hero Dog Awards gala at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles.

Elle is saving lives by teaching children dog safety (more than 2 million children are bitten by dogs each year) and making positive life changes for people by helping them overcome their fear of dogs. Since becoming a volunteer, Elle started a therapy dog reading program called "Tail Wagging Tales," helping children enjoy books and improve their reading skills. Elle is also making a difference by creating happiness all around while visiting her friends at an elementary school, a middle school, and a retirement home.

Elle also reaches out to educate families about being responsible pet parents, sharing stories about her job as a therapy dog, and spreading positive awareness about dogs that are misunderstood, including pit bulls. This year's therapy dog category sponsor, as well as the online sponsor, is the leading animal health company, Zoetis.

The American Humane Association Hero Dog Awards were created to honor some of the most extraordinary heroes the world has ever known, the very best of our "best friends" – ordinary dogs who do extraordinary things. These courageous canines have gone above and beyond the call of duty, saving lives on the battlefield, comforting the ill, aged and afflicted, bringing hope to those who have lost it and reminding us of the powerful, age-old bond between animals and people.

The sold-out, star-studded awards honoring America's most courageous canines were hosted by television and movie star Joey Lawrence, accompanied by a galaxy of stars and presenters including Betty White, Jennifer Coolidge, Esai Morales, Ryan O'Neal, Naomi Judd, Pauley Perrette, Lisa Vanderpump, Emmanuelle Vaugier, and many more!

The Hero Dog Awards were created to celebrate the powerful relationship between dogs and people and recognize extraordinary acts of heroism performed by ordinary dogs. The event will be broadcast nationwide by Hallmark Channel on October 30 at 8 pm/7 Central. The 90-minute program will air as part of Hallmark Channel's Pet Project, the network's cross-platform advocacy campaign designed to celebrate the joy and enrichment animals bring to our lives.

We hope you will tune in on October 30 at 8pm on The Hallmark Channel to watch the stories of these amazing canines. You'll laugh...you'll cry...you don't want to miss it!

Warmest thanks,

Dr. Robin Ganzert
President and CEO
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Definition of 'Responsibility'

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Canine Hero: Rescued Pit Bull Saves 4-Year-Old Boy's Life in Minneapolis.
Pit bulls don't get a lot of good press, but here's one pooch doing its part to change the breed's image: Tator Tot, a rescued pit bull from Minneapolis possibly saved a 4-year-old boy's life after he sensed a dangerous drop in the youngster's blood sugar and warned the boy's mother. The dog was scheduled to be put down, but had been taken in as a foster by the family less than a week earlier, reports Fox 9.

Christi Smith says Tater Tot came to her in the middle of the night after he had tried, and failed, to rouse her son, Peyton. "He kept on whining and barking and running between the two of us," she says. "I checked on him, and he was barely breathing." Smith rushed the boy to the ER, where doctors found his blood sugar was dangerously low.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Huge Bear Surprises TV Crew Making A Commerical

Check out what happened to this crew on a photoshoot for the Samsung EcoBubble washing machine.  They were near Manning Park, BC.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

One Happy Fox
--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk