East Coast Happenings

Started by Diane Amberg, March 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proelkco

Catwoman

Agreed...Absolutely not.  It will be nice to see the Forum return to what it once was.  :D

Wilma

Not a chance that you are to blame, Diane.  I don't see anything negative about your posts.

Diane Amberg

Thank you.I appreciate your good comments.
No more frost here, just a touch that nipped the very tender plants, we stripped the garden just to be sure, but we were a very strange 65 degrees yesterday with 4.6 inches of rain....some system coming up from the south.
Our first Junco arrived, happy to see the seed feeder.

Diane Amberg

We had a great Halloween last night. 43 happy kids with parents waiting by the street as the kids charged up the driveway.
It was perfect Halloween weather. Goul...make that cool... with lots of rustling dry leaves. My wheel barrow full of bones got lots of good comments.The neighbor across the street built a spider web maze that the kids had to navigate to get to the goodies at the house. He had also put out lots of little white spooklets all over the front yard. Really clever.Another friend across the street set up their deck fire pit in the front yard and had "Double double toil and trouble" going on. It looked nice and kept them warm too.I wore my tall black and purple striped witches hat with a big jeweled spider on it and sat out on the front porch with the big basket of candy and pencils.
Our little Civic Association put out a clever computer map with all the houses in our area marked that were involved in trick or treat.I hope you all had as much fun as we did.
Oh, and Al thought the skeleton parrot on it's perch swing was so funny he has now hung it from a ceiling hook in the family room. Looks like Monty Python's very "late" parrot.

Catwoman

Love reading your posts, Miss Diane!!!  ;D ;D ;D 

Diane Amberg

Why, thank you Miss Cat.I always enjoy your posts too.

Diane Amberg

The city leaf truck is working it's way down our street with it's big elephant sucker trunk swinging slowly back and forth rattling the piles of leaves on the curb up into the the big covered truck attached to it. Al got our fallen leaves blown down onto the curb just in time, as Tuesday is our day for pick up. He had already raked good leaf cover over my flower beds and around the new Crepe Myrtle and a few other bushes and shrubs.  Once the truck is full, it detaches and goes up the road a bit where the city has a several acre composting leaf pile area on the edge of town by one of the city water towers. Once the leaves have well composted, the residents can go help themselves to leaf mulch and compost for their gardens.I have one big Maple that is still full of bright green and yellow leaves that hasn't let go of them yet. I'm not sure why it's so slow.
Now its just starting a gentle rain, but at 61 degrees it's still nice out.
Time to go sweep the kitchen floor and decide what to make for dinner this evening.Have a nice day all.

Catwoman

The leaves are holding on here, too...?????  We're closer to Christmas than we are the start of Autumn! lol

Diane Amberg

All the leaves have fallen...except that one stubborn Maple. It's still hanging on for some reason.The yard looks pretty good though. Al raked some, blew some and mowed a lot, so the leaves are under control.
I put a fall colored wreath on the house and hung my funny turkey windsock, so it looks like Thanksgiving here.
I hadn't seen him for several weeks, but the one big fat raccoon showed up last night. He was licking up bird seed from under the feeder when I turned on the deck light. He looked up, saw me, and ran up the deck steps like he was greeting an old friend.I put some chicken scraps out for him.
I think nature has collected the old gimpy raccoon.He wasn't in good shape the last I saw of him and he's been missing for some time now.
We have more Juncos now and they seem to be settled in. We picked up our big seed order for the winter, and got that all tucked away in the garage. Al put up our last two big caged tube feeders, so the little birds can eat, but the squirrels can't reach the seed. They get enough from spillage.
We have several woodpeckers and a couple of nuthatches coming now too. Love to watch them. It's still warm enough that we haven't had to put the water heater in the bird water pan and the bird bath is still up.
My Thanksgiving cacti are starting to bloom so they make a pretty show on the table in the living room where my computer sits.
Oh my .I just heard a cardiac arrest call at my sister's address. Back later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk