East Coast Happenings

Started by Diane Amberg, March 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Another day with the blue tape and punch list. The teachers are slowly slipping in to see when they can move into their rooms and everyone is getting excited. The head janitor hosted a picnic outside in the gazebo to thank his staff for all the extra work they have been doing. Are they ever hard workers!  We did find several rather serious problems, but because we caught them early, repairs can be done before school opens.
That dratted ground hog, or a brave deer, came up on my deck and cleaned out my lettuce window box, parsley and cilantro pots and ate the ripe toms in their big pots. The sweet basil was left alone. Go figure. GRRRR.

sixdogsmom

I had a "critter" that had been digging in my flower bed. Lawrence brought up a game cam and lo and behold I have a big fat armadillo that digs for grubs. Not doing much harm, but I wanted to know if I needed to be on the look-out for patio visitors like the skunk I had last year. That particular critter was in search of water and was visiting the water bowl I kept out there. We don't have that problem this year as there are plenty of water holes around. I just cannot believe all this rain. Life is good!  ;) ;)
Edie

Diane Amberg

Do you know about when armadillos showed up in your area? Daddy said they weren't there when he was growing up in Elk County.
I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing more "visitors" near you.  Many of the young animals are out  now learning the ways of the world and are checking out food sources as well as water. We get little holes in the yard at night when the skunks are teaching their young to dig up worms and grubs. We've seen many possums too, just waddling around checking things out. The darn racoons are teaching theirs to find our bird feeders .One had climbed the tall pole holding it and because the ground is so wet, it just tipped over and he/she got all the seed. Pesky, but I've gotta admit I love watching 'em. I'm glad you've been getting some much needed rain.
    While we were working at the school yesterday, I came to a very scary realization. We've been having a good time being kidded and funnin' back with the workmen, etc. They are going to have to fix all the imperfections we blue taped but they asked us questions too and valued our experience.
Then it suddenly hit me that Al and I were by far the oldest people in the school. Oh my goodness, get me a chair! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ddurbin

According to KDWP&T, armadillos were sighted in Kansas as early as the 1940's, but mostly just in the southern part of the state.  Over the years their range has continued to expand further north and there are now sightings even in Nebraska.

Diane Amberg

Thanks.  He left in 1941 and only visited after that. Never saw any.

Wilma

The first one I saw in Kansas was in Greenwood County north of Severy before we moved to Sedgwick.  I don't remember the year, but we moved in 1979.

Diane Amberg

Speaking of Sedgewick, I heard through the fire service there was a bit of an explosion at a biofuel plant...same place?

Wilma

The biofuel explosion and fire was in a suburb of Wichita.  Wichita is in Sedgwick County and the town Sedgwick is just north of Wichita.  Actually, I think that Sedgwick is on the county line of Harvey County, the county bordering Sedgwick County on the north.

Diane Amberg

Thanks, I understand it was a relatively small plant and nobody was hurt. That's the important part.

Diane Amberg

Good dinner tonight, if you like liver and piles of sweet onions,which fortunately we both do,green beans and mashed taters too. Went provisions shopping this afternoon. Should last for weeks. I have a few more hand outs to count for the camp parents' fire safety program on Tuesday. Had a nice chat with Liz awhile ago. Soon I'll be watching Masterpiece Theater... If I can stay awake. Good night all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk