Hunters Outraged

Started by Warph, February 28, 2013, 03:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

LA Health Department Destroys 1,600 Pounds of Donated Venison
Meant for the Homeless, Says Can't Feed Deer Meat to People in Homeless Shelters

Posted By Vicki McClure Davidson on February 25, 2013

This staggering waste of 1,600 pounds of deer meat donated by Hunters for the Homeless has sparked outrage over the Louisiana's health department's actions. Reportedly, nothing was wrong with the meat and it had been processed correctly at a slaughterhouse.

But the high-protein, low-cholesterol meat, valued at $8,000, was thrown out in the garbage and doused with bleach, per a state department mandate following the filing of a complaint about eating deer meat. The complaint was filed by one of the homeless people being helped and fed at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission in Shreveport, Louisiana.

That's all it took.

From Fox News - Health Dept.: Homeless Can't Eat Deer Meat:

Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.

"Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana," said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. "While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public."

That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.

"That's a mild understatement," said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. "Hunters are going nuts over it. It's created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi."

The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Henry Martin, executive director of the mission, told Fox News they've been serving deer meat for years – from deer chili to deer spaghetti.

"This was really good meat," he said. "It's high in protein and low in cholesterol. It's very healthy."

Martin said he was extremely bothered by the way state health inspectors handled the situation.

"You would think we would have due process," he said. "But they meant to destroy the meat – that's for sure."

The mission's chef asked if they could at least return the meat to the processing plant – but the state officials said no.

"They actually took it out to the dumpsters, split the packages open and poured Clorox on it," Martin told Fox News.

He said the rescue mission serves 200,000 meals a year – without a single dime of assistance from the state or federal governments. As a result of the confiscation, he said as many as 3,200 meals were lost.

"It seems like this was a senseless act," he said. "I don't think hungry people who come to our mission appreciate the fact they could have been eating some really good venison and as it is now – no one can eat it."

This video aired a few years ago about other hunting groups that donate deer meat to food banks. In Lebanon, New Jersey, a group called Game Butchers processes up to 1,000 deer annually. Some of the deer meat is donated to a program called Hunters Helping the Hungry. The non-profit group donates the venison to food banks, which then give it to feed the needy:

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Bullwinkle

Sounds like one of those kids who turned up their nose at the food at school grown up. They should have told everyone in the shelter what this spoiled brat of a homeless person did and let nature take it's course.

Wilma

Brilliant.  Judgment by their peers.

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on February 28, 2013, 11:03:40 AM
Brilliant.  Judgment by their peers.

The court of public opinion.  Go figure. 

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Jane

Happened in Topeka with St Francis hospital. The hospital would take food that had been cooked but never used to the Rescue Mission, the food had  been wrapped and transported to the mission by the hospital. Someone became sick, sued the hospital and won. 

jacksonpollochjr

It is unfortunate that this type of thing happens and I know it does happen. The part about the Mission having to pour bleach on the meat triggered my this story is exaggerated. I tried to verify this and was unable to do so. I first heard about this from radio host Alex Jones. I sent an e-mail to both the Health Dept. and the Rescue Mission. So far no response. That being said I have no doubt this happens. There is a lot of wasted game and restaurant food that could be used to feed those that are hungry. Just an example of how we get in our own way. We could test the venison and those 20 minute old fast food to feed those in need instead of trashing it.

Warph

'Where McDonalds' Meat Comes From'

Is this video truthful? You decide. Keep in mind, however, that this isn't necessarily describing the
slaughterhouse conditions, rather, the meat processing plant's sanitation.

ORIGINAL DESCRIPTION (prior to 11/16/11):
Hearing all rumors about what McDonalds puts inside their meat, like worms and cow eye, where they get it from, I decided to investigate. It turns out, for the past 25 years, McDonalds buys the majority of its beef from Lopez Foods, located in the USA (although, they import some beef from Australia). The facility is very clean, USDA inspected, and their procedures for handling the meat seem very sanitary. Lopez Foods buys beef from other slaughter houses, and processes it to the Hamburgers. Thats it.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

jacksonpollochjr

I have a big phobia against dirty restaurants, so much so that I often have them give me a tour of the kitchen. My favorite Indian restaurant was lucky I didn't take a tour before I started eating there. As you go past the kitchen to the bathroom the floor is littered with food and dirty pans etc. The rest of the place is pristine. The bathroom is a disaster. If the food wasn't so good I would report the place to the Health Dept. Then there was the time I was on a fishing trip at a remote in Canada. After the trip I found that that funny red meat in the fridge was horse meat. I felt like I had eaten my cat fluffy and my dog sparky. It all tasted fine. If I were homeless I would eat it again. So long story short if. you are hungry you can eat many things. Plus it can be eaten safely. We waste a lot of food, it has to be cheaper to make sure it is safe to eat than throwing it away and not feeding someone.?

upoladeb

why would pouring bleach on the meat hurt ?They dump it in our water all the time.It was designed to be a poison gas on our enemys,but its cheap so they use it on us

Jane

You know the old saying. "You can judge the restaurant kitchen by how clean the bathroom is".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk