Elk County Commissioners doing changes

Started by Janet Harrington, February 16, 2013, 12:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

I was told that the Elk County Commissioners are doing lots of changes. I have heard that Mr. Hebb has said he was going to "clean out the courthouse". I have heard that Mr. Ritz doesn't care if we have an ambulance service or not.

Wow. If these are these changes that the commissioners are going to do, I'm pretty sure it is not a good thing.

Commissioners need to remember that they are elected officials just as the sheriff, the county clerk, the county treasurer, and the county register of deeds are elected officials.

All county elected officials should be aware that there is a law called, "Official misconduct" K.S.A. 21-3902.

Commissioners are guided by law of their duties by Kansas statute 19-212: Powers of board of commissioners. The board of county commissioners of each county shall have the power, at any meeting:
      First. To make such orders concerning the property belonging to the county as they may deem expedient, including the establishing of regulations, by resolution, as to the use of such property and to prescribe penalties for violations thereof.

Second. To examine and settle all accounts of the receipts and expenses of the county, and to examine and settle and allow all accounts chargeable against the county; and when so settled, they may issue county orders therefor, as provided by law.

Third. To purchase sites for and to build and keep in repair county buildings, and cause the same to be insured in the name of the county treasurer for the benefit of the county; and in case there are no county buildings, to provide suitable rooms for county purposes.

Fourth. To purchase an existing building and the site upon which it is located for the purpose of providing additional space for county offices and to remodel and equip the same.

Fifth. Apportion and order the levying of taxes as provided by law.

Sixth. To represent the county and have the care of the county property, and the management of the business and concerns of the county, in all cases where no other provision is made by law.

Seventh. To set off, organize, and change the boundaries of townships in their respective counties, to designate and give names therefor, and to appoint township officers for such new townships which officers shall serve until the next general election; to fix time and place of holding the first election therein.

Eighth. To establish one or more election precincts in any township, as the convenience of the inhabitants thereof may require.

Ninth. To lay out, alter or discontinue any road running through one or more townships in such county, and also to perform such other duties respecting roads as may be provided by law.

Tenth. To enter into contracts with any landowners for the construction and maintenance of underpasses, bridges and drainageways under and across any county road in connection with the locating, opening, laying out, construction or alteration of any county road running across or through such landowner's land, whenever in the judgment of the board of county commissioners such contract is to the best interests of the county. Any such contract entered into by the board of county commissioners shall be binding upon subsequent boards of county commissioners and shall not be terminated without the written consent of said landowner or his heirs or assigns.

Eleventh. To contract for the protection and promotion of the public health and welfare.

Twelfth. To acquire, own and operate a county airport.

Thirteenth. To perform such other duties as are or may be prescribed by law.

History:   G.S. 1868, ch. 25, § 16; L. 1911, ch. 141, § 1; R.S. 1923, 19-212; L. 1953, ch. 139, § 1; L. 1963, ch. 151, § 1; L. 1972, ch. 70, § 1; July 1.

Commissioners need to pay attention to their own office and let the other elected officials do their job. The commissioners need to be well-versed on the wage and hour laws and on FLSA which is the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Just saying.

Ross

I'm entitled to my opinion!

ROFLMAO

I just posted to see if anyone comments.

This way I get notified by e-mail.

Keep rolling..

Patriot

Janet, in the FYI department...

First, "I heard.." is often a predictor of rumor rather than knowledge based in fact.

Second, in watching the commissioner's actions, I've seen nothing that might constitute misconduct or a failure to appropriately execute their duties per K.S.A. 19-212.

Third, it sounds as if you might be parroting the feelings of a very narrow segment of the local population who were/are rabid supporters of the actions of the prior board, or certain members thereof, one of whom the voters (in significant numbers) recently decided to replace.

Fourth, remember that it's possible this board (unlike the prior boards) may be operating with advice of legal counsel.

Finally, how about we let the new board drive the bus for a bit before we attack... or let's at least make logical arguments against the decisions they make or the actions they take.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Oldtimer

Janet, keep on posting and telling it like you see it and hear it. You have a lot of people that agree with you.

Patriot

In the course of reviewing the many questions raised over the last 2+ years on this forum, I would suggest a few folks now or previously serving in local government consider your reference to the official misconduct statute.  In particular...

K.S.A.  21-3902 Official misconduct. (a) Official misconduct is any of the following acts committed by a public officer or employee in the officer or employee's public capacity or under color of the officer or employee's office or employment:

(3)   Using confidential information acquired in the course of and related to the officer's or employee's office or employment for the private benefit or gain of the officer or employee or another or to maliciously cause harm to another. As used in this section, "confidential" means any information that is not subject to mandatory disclosure pursuant to K.S.A. 45-221, and amendments thereto.

(4)   Except as authorized by law, knowingly, willfully and with the intent to reduce or eliminate competition among bidders or prospective bidders on any contract or proposed contract: (A) Disclosing confidential information regarding proposals or communications from bidders or prospective bidders on any contract or proposed contract; (B) accepting any bid or proposal on a contract or proposed contract after the deadline for acceptance of such bid or proposal; or (C) altering any bid or proposal submitted by a bidder on a contract or proposed contract.

Translation:  Take care, as the blade on that knife cuts both ways.

ELK@KC

I don't know of anyone on the Forum that has repeated more hearsay than you and Ross. Ross has made more inaccurate statements than anyone.

Patriot

Quote from: Janet Harrington on February 16, 2013, 12:41:47 PM
I was told that the Elk County Commissioners are doing lots of changes. I have heard that Mr. Hebb has said he was going to "clean out the courthouse".

On the lighter side...

There are some windows in the building that could use a Windex treatment and ledges above the doors that have dust bunnies.  Hebb is tall enough to reach many of them without a step stool.... and probably not afraid to do the work.
;)

Patriot

Quote from: ELK@KC on February 17, 2013, 10:28:36 AM
I don't know of anyone on the Forum that has repeated more hearsay than you and Ross.

Seems to me that quoting printed matter, citing personal observations, and referencing data that can be verified by any 3rd party who isn't too lazy to do so are something less than hearsay.  Neither is the simple presentation of questions for open debate a 'repetition of hearsay'.

Janet Harrington

What I was told was not heresay. Just saying.

Now, if you all want to sit and watch your EMS department go bye, bye, then just sit there and watch it happen. I live the majority of my time in Montgomery County and I know they have EMS there. I hate to see everything that has been accomplished with Elk County's EMS go by the wayside. A comment by Mr. Doug Ritz saying that he doesn't care if we have a service or not should be raising some flags with the citizens of this county that rely on this service.

However; if you want to see our EMS that has 2 paramedics at this time go back to the dark ages of snatch and grab, then just keep sitting there.

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Patriot on February 17, 2013, 10:17:36 AM
In the course of reviewing the many questions raised over the last 2+ years on this forum, I would suggest a few folks now or previously serving in local government consider your reference to the official misconduct statute.  In particular...

K.S.A.  21-3902 Official misconduct. (a) Official misconduct is any of the following acts committed by a public officer or employee in the officer or employee's public capacity or under color of the officer or employee's office or employment:

(3)   Using confidential information acquired in the course of and related to the officer's or employee's office or employment for the private benefit or gain of the officer or employee or another or to maliciously cause harm to another. As used in this section, "confidential" means any information that is not subject to mandatory disclosure pursuant to K.S.A. 45-221, and amendments thereto.

(4)   Except as authorized by law, knowingly, willfully and with the intent to reduce or eliminate competition among bidders or prospective bidders on any contract or proposed contract: (A) Disclosing confidential information regarding proposals or communications from bidders or prospective bidders on any contract or proposed contract; (B) accepting any bid or proposal on a contract or proposed contract after the deadline for acceptance of such bid or proposal; or (C) altering any bid or proposal submitted by a bidder on a contract or proposed contract.

Translation:  Take care, as the blade on that knife cuts both ways.

Just wondering what the legislators meant by "or to maliciously cause harm to another" in this statute? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk