MORRIS, Willard Lester - b. January 13, 1925 - d. January 2, 2013

Started by patyrn, January 04, 2013, 11:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Willard L. Morris, 87, of Winfield, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at the Kansas Veterans Home in Winfield.  Born January 13, 1925 in Howard, Kansas, he was the son of Edward and Alice (Poole) Morris.

He was raised and received his education in Howard, Kansas.  Willard was inducted into the United States Army in May 1943.  He served as a heavy equipment operator and helped to build airstrips.  He was building the Hanita Airstrip in Japan when he was honorably discharged in January 1946.  He was united in marriage to Marjorie Bennett in January 1946 in Wichita, Kansas.  The couple lived in Howard, Kansas until 1958 when they made their home in Winfield.  Willard worked as a meat cutter at Albertson's Grocery Store and later at Boogarts.  He retired from Boogarts Grocery Store in 1990.

He was a lifetime member of the American Legion Post #10 in Winfield, and was a past commander.  He was also a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #3544.  Willard enjoyed going to the livestock auctions at the local sale barn and attending military reunions.  He also enjoyed helping his daughter and son-in-law in their catering business and spending time with his family .  He especially loved his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

His family includes his wife, Marjorie Morris of Winfield, Kansas; his son, Willard Morris Jr. (Bub) and companion, Sara Martin of Winfield, Kansas; his daughter, Gayle Walter and husband, Danny of Arkansas City, Kansas; his daughter-in-law, Cheryl Morris of Hutchinson, Kansas; his brothers, Chester Morris and wife, Mary of Wichita, Kansas and Eugene Morris and wife, Mary Lou of Redding, California; his sister, Dorothy Goss of Wichita, Kansas; his grandchildren, Matthew, Elizabeth, Erin, Erica, Ellen, Katie, Kami, and Kristi; his nine great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.  In addition to his parents, Willard was preceded in death by his son, Danny L. Morris; his brother, Lewis Morris; and his sisters, Edith Shipman, Ruth Hedges, and Coretta Webster.

Memorial services will be held on Monday, January 7, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. at Miles Funeral Service, 4001 E. 9th Avenue, Winfield, Kansas 67156.  Inurnment and military committal honors will follow at the Kansas Veterans Cemetery.  Memorials have been established in Willard's name for the American Legion Post #10 and the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #3544.  Contributions may be made through the funeral home.  The family would like to thank the staff at the Kansas Veterans Home for the excellent care Willard was given.  

(taken from the Miles Funeral Service website)

ddurbin

Very likely that I met Willard on many occasions while buying meat at Boogarts in Winfield, but just never realized who he was.  This past fall he was able to participate in one of the Honor Flights to Washington, D. C.  His daughter, Gayle, (my neighbor) accompanied him on that trip.

frawin

I visited with Willard this past Saturday at his sister Corettas services. I worked with Willard in the late 50s at Albertsons in Winfield. My Brother Neil was store Manager and Willard worked in the Meat Market. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk