Are you paying your dues & thinking AARP is really on your side....

Started by Patriot, October 04, 2012, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

AARP is, in reality, a giant insurance agency.  They supported Obamacare not because it was good for seniors, but because it would make them big bucks.  Read the last paragraph of this article.

AARP to Obama: Don't mention us again
October 4, 2012 | 12:08 pm
The Examiner
Washington, DC

President Obama invoked AARP to defend his health care law last night, prompting the influential group to release a statement telling him not to do that again.

"While we respect the rights of each campaign to make its case to voters, AARP has never consented to the use of its name by any candidate or political campaign," the group posted in a statement. "AARP is a nonpartisan organization and we do not endorse political candidates nor coordinate with any candidate or political party."

Obama can perhaps be forgiven for thinking he could mention AARP given how they coordinated with him to pass Obamacare, which is a golden goose for the organization.

"Thanks to its cuts to Medicare Advantage, Obamacare is expected to expand the number of seniors buying "medigap" supplemental insurance plans," The Washington Examiner explained in an editorial. "AARP controls 34 percent of the market for such plans. According to a 2011 House Ways and Means Committee report, AARP stands to make between $55 million and $166 million from Obamacare in 2014 alone."

Link to article:  http://washingtonexaminer.com/aarp-to-obama-dont-mention-us-again/article/2509844#.UG4YhK46P4s

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Fire Elk

AARP is not an insurance company they are a lobbying organization, among other things, for seniors. The insurance that carries the AARP name is by United Healthcare. There is an endorsement by AARP and I'm guessing a fee paid to AARP for the name usage. A minor point that I don't think changes the rest of the article.
KEEP THE BATTLEFRONT CLEAR PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Patriot

Quote from: Fire Elk on October 04, 2012, 05:38:43 PM
AARP is not an insurance company they are a lobbying organization, among other things, for seniors. The insurance that carries the AARP name is by United Healthcare. There is an endorsement by AARP and I'm guessing a fee paid to AARP for the name usage. A minor point that I don't think changes the rest of the article.

I said insurance 'agency' not 'company.  They act as paid agents for United Health Care.  And it would appear the commissions they receive are substantial.

Fire Elk

Quote from: Patriot on October 04, 2012, 05:44:02 PM
I said insurance 'agency' not 'company.  They act as paid agents for United Health Care.  And it would appear the commissions they receive are substantial.

A reread says you did say agency. All of the rest of the info was the same as we stated. Sometimes when one read things you (me) need to slow down. I stand corrected.

Fire Elk

I don't look much at the google ads at the bottom of the page. I never click on them. This thread made one for AARP and one for The Hartford (Elk Mascot). A quick online quote and I may be changing my healthcare from United Healthcare to Hartford. Thanks Patriot you just saved me some money. LMAO :laugh:

Patriot

Quote from: Fire Elk on October 04, 2012, 06:15:19 PM
A quick online quote and I may be changing my healthcare from United Healthcare to Hartford. Thanks Patriot you just saved me some money. LMAO :laugh:

Nooooo Problem.  Good luck.  lol

Ain't capitalism great?!?

Bullwinkle

Never signed up with AARP. I get offers to, almost as often as credit cards. Seemed to me to be no different than joining the union at Beechcraft and being told to take the company's offer during negotiations, so I asked them what I needed a union for.

I was forwarded an e-mail just yesterday written by an elderly woman to the AARP informing them she would not be renewing their membership because they were no longer representing her family's needs. Wish I would have pasted it here, she had a way with words, if you know what I mean.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk