KS: Organizations fall short in reporting stimulus spending

Started by Ross, October 03, 2012, 06:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

KS: Organizations fall short in reporting stimulus spending.
OSAWATOMIE — Kansas agencies have been anything but perfect when it comes to submitting quarterly reports on how they've spent $2.6 billion in federal stimulus funds.
http://watchdog.org/57922/ks-organizations-fall-short-in-reporting-stimulus-spending/

How many jobs can be made for $2.6 billion dollars? ? ? ?
How many over paid executives could get pay raises on $2.6 billion dollars? ? ? ?

Recovery. Gov
Track the money.
http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Fire Elk

Zip code 67349.

http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/RecoveryData/Pages/RecipientReportedDataMap.aspx?stateCode=KS

Recipients    Award    Details
ELK COUNTY RURAL WATER DISTRICT #2
   $1,072,000   PROFILEAWARD
ELK COUNTY RURAL WATER DISTRICT #2
   $1,115,000   PROFILEAWARD
ELK, COUNTY OF
   $150,000   PROFILEAWARD
HOWARD HOUSING AUTHORITY OF THE CITY OF HOWARD
   $74,932   PROFILEAWARD
WEST ELK SCHOOL DISTRICT 282
   $17,897   PROFILEAWARD
   $9,037   PROFILEAWARD
   $214,563   PROFILEAWARD
   $2,369   PROFILEAWARD
   $9,037   PROFILEAWARD
   $214,563   PROFILEAWARD
   $321,518   PROFILEAWARD
   $68,878   PROFILEAWAR

Total Awards: $3,269,794
KEEP THE BATTLEFRONT CLEAR PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

upoladeb

was all that money listed because of the zip,or was all of it sent to Howard?Your link just said error.Thanx for your in put

Ross

Itried the links last night and again this morning and got the error messages.
My guess is that the web site is only on during working hours.
I'm going to try again about 10 am, if I'm not to busy.

flintauqua

Must be something wrong at recovery.gov's server.  Juat tried and still got error message.

I tried early last night and was able to look at each grant individually.  Vast majority of the total was the loan and grant from USDA Rural Development directly to Elk County Rural Water District #2 to lay 54 miles of water supply lines.  That's right at two-thirds of the total.  I looked at about half of the ones to West Elk and they were pass-through grants from the USDA dealing with the free and reduced school lunch program.  

The money is tracked by the zip code of the recipient, so in this case it all seems to have gone to Howard, but the Rural Water District will serve rural residents in the northwest and northeast parts of the county, many in zip codes other than 67349.  The school lunch program serves students from Howard, Moline, Severy, Elk Falls, Piedmont, Fall River, and some that would have addresses with zip codes outside of those six, like Longton, Grenola, Latham, and Sedan.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

ddurbin

Ross,
I can't and won't begin to discuss where all the $2.6 billion of ARRA money was spent in Kansas, but I can tell you that $80 million of it went to fund the total compensation for around 750 rank and file employees of the Ks Dept of Corrections for  2 years.  Winfield Correctional Facility and Norton Correctional Facility both received $10 million each year, and the Hutchinson Correctional Facility received $20 million both years.  None of these workers were overpaid executives and very few were seeing any raises or cost of living adjustments out of it either.  Yes, they were all "government employees" being paid with your and mine tax dollars, but for those 2 years, $80 million came as Federal tax dollars and did not come out of Kansas's tax revenues.  I know other Ks. state agencies receiving ARRA funds also used considerable amounts to fund salaries and wages, but I don't know their totals without further research, which I don't feel like doing.  I know the KDOC figures because I dealt with it daily while working at WCF.

redcliffsw

Federal tax dollars?  Or were the dollars newly printed money or borrowed - perhaps
borrowed from China?

Nixon used to call it revenue sharing. 

Looks like the crooks are handing out the money.

ddurbin

FireElk
By listing the recipients of stimulus money with the Howard zip, are you implying that they were all negligent in filing all their spending reports?  That's the way it comes across when you tie it in as a response to Ross's previous post.  The article he cites didn't provide a complete listing of deliquent filers and now the links to the site seem to be inoperable.  Also, why did you choose to only list the 67349 zip coded recipients?  Why no mention of the $185,000+ that USD 283 received?  Or the $104,048 for KDOT?  Or the $220,000+ for direct Social  Security payments within the county?  Or the $700,000 loan to Countryside Funeral Home?  Just wondering what point you were trying to make with the limited data in your post?

Fire Elk

Quote from: ddurbin on October 04, 2012, 11:10:18 AM
FireElk
By listing the recipients of stimulus money with the Howard zip, are you implying that they were all negligent in filing all their spending reports?  That's the way it comes across when you tie it in as a response to Ross's previous post.  The article he cites didn't provide a complete listing of deliquent filers and now the links to the site seem to be inoperable.  Also, why did you choose to only list the 67349 zip coded recipients?  Why no mention of the $185,000+ that USD 283 received?  Or the $104,048 for KDOT?  Or the $220,000+ for direct Social  Security payments within the county?  Or the $700,000 loan to Countryside Funeral Home?  Just wondering what point you were trying to make with the limited data in your post?

No, I wasn't implying anything. I was providing info that was part of Ross' post. I expected that others could then look for themselves and draw their own conclusions and post their thoughts. I would have posted more than 67349, but the site went down. My point was to provide information I thought others would be interested in looking act. No time now to complete the rest of what I was going to post\comment on. I got halted in mid sentence by the website. So if the site gets back working I will post more when I can. Tell Charlie thanks for the info. that was more in line with what I was thinking. Thanks, Flint, great minds do think alike. :laugh:
KEEP THE BATTLEFRONT CLEAR PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Ross

Quote from: Fire Elk on October 04, 2012, 11:47:27 AM
No, I wasn't implying anything. I was providing info that was part of Ross' post. I expected that others could then look for themselves and draw their own conclusions and post their thoughts. I would have posted more than 67349, but the site went down. My point was to provide information I thought others would be interested in looking act. No time now to complete the rest of what I was going to post\comment on. I got halted in mid sentence by the website. So if the site gets back working I will post more when I can. Tell Charlie thanks for the info. that was more in line with what I was thinking. Thanks, Flint, great minds do think alike. :laugh:

Thank you Fire Elk and you make very good points about people doing their own thinking.
There was no reason for such an attack on you and it sure read like an attack to me!
My guess is some people don't want people thinking for themselves.
Hang in there!
My guess is some people don't want people thinking for themselves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk