This and That...

Started by Warph, September 04, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Senate Dems May Consider Vote On Keystone Pipeline
Soon To Help Mary Landrieu

(Sorry... ain't gonna help)

Via Bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-11/senate-democrats-said-to-consider-keystone-vote-soon.html

Senate Democrats are considering a vote in the lame-duck session to force approval of TransCanada Corp. (TRP)'s Keystone XL pipeline, a party aide said, a move that may bolster Louisiana Democrat Mary Landrieu's re-election chances.

Similar measures have failed to advance in the Senate this year and Senate leaders will have trouble mustering the votes for passage now. President Barack Obama could veto the measure.

The Senate Democratic aide, who requested anonymity to discuss the plans, said specific language for a proposal hadn't been determined.

The purpose of the vote would be symbolic: To highlight Landrieu's support for the pipeline, as well as her influence on energy issues in Washington — a centerpiece of her campaign. Casting a vote in favor of the pipeline may benefit Landrieu in her Dec. 6 runoff election, in which she faces Republican Representative Bill Cassidy.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Obamacare Architect Regrets Calling Americans Voters "Stupid"

(He regrets that the video went viral and the truth came out.  The actual content he made, not so much.  Just think of all those in attendance during the conference in which he revealed this blatant fraud perpetrated intentionally on the American tax paying public.  Not a single attendee seemed offended, alarmed or even slightly concerned about his tactics... as if it was accepted as normal standard practice.  BTY, this MIT Schutzstaffel Clown was paid $400,000 for his part in ObumaCrappyCare.  "Lack of transparency," Gruber lectured, "is a huge political advantage.")

Via Daily Caller:
Obamacare architect Jonathan Gruber said Tuesday that he regrets saying that aspects of Obamacare needed to be concealed from the public due to the "stupidity of the American voter."

"Do you stand by the comments in that video?," MSNBC host Ronan Farrow asked Gruber, referring to a video of Gruber explaining how a lack of transparency helped Obamacare pass into law. (RELATED: Gruber: Lack of Transparency Was Key Because 'Stupidity of the American Voter' Would Have Killed Obamacare).

"The comments in the video were made at an academic conference," Gruber said. "I was speaking off the cuff and I basically spoke inappropriately and I regret having made those comments."

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Russia's Bombers To Conduct Regular Patrols
Around ranging from the Arctic to the Gulf Of Mexico Region

Russia's strategic bomber Tu-160 or White Swan, the largest supersonic bomber in the world.

(Umm... could they head a little west and patrol the Southern Border?)

Via Yahoo:
    MOSCOW – In a show of military muscle amid tensions with the West, Russia will send long-range strategic bombers on regular patrol missions across the globe, from the Arctic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, a top official said Wednesday.

The announcement by Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu came as NATO's chief accused Russia of sending fresh troops and tanks into eastern Ukraine.

"Over the last few days, we have seen multiple reports of large convoys moving into Eastern Ukraine," said NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg. "We assess that this significant military buildup includes Russian artillery, tanks, air defence systems and troops. His statement called the situation a "severe threat to the cease-fire."

Moscow denied the allegation as unfounded, but Shoigu also said the dispute with the West over Ukraine would require Russia to beef up its forces in the Crimea, the Black Sea Peninsula that Russia annexed in March.

Keep Reading... https://ca.news.yahoo.com/russias-bombers-conduct-regular-patrols-ranging-arctic-gulf-140627703.html
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Huckabee Laying Groundwork For Another Presidential Run

(Try to contain your excitement)

Via Washington Post:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who turned his stunning victory in the 2008 Iowa caucuses into a thriving talk show career, is reconnecting with activists and enlisting staff to position himself in a growing field of potential Republican presidential candidates.

This week, Huckabee is leading more than 100 pastors and GOP insiders from early primary states on a 10-day overseas trip with stops in Poland and England.

Huckabee's newly formed non-profit advocacy group, America Takes Action, has begun to serve as an employment perch for his political team, recently bringing on a number of experienced campaign operatives.

Advisers are already scouting real estate in Little Rock, Ark., for a possible presidential campaign headquarters.

Huckabee is scheduled to spend part of November holding private meetings with powerful GOP financiers in Las Vegas, New York, and California, gauging their interest in being bundlers for his possible campaign and asking for pledges of five-to six-figure donations to his aligned organizations. And he is planning two strategy sessions in December, in Little Rock and Destin, Fla., near his new Gulf Coast home, to discuss timing, potential staffing, and an opening pitch to voters.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Poll: Nearly 6-In-10 Americans Think Obama Will Get Little To Nothing Done In Last Two Years As President

(We can only hope so)

Via The Hill:

Most Americans are skeptical President Obama will be able to accomplish much of anything in his final years in office now that Republicans have seized control of both chambers of Congress.

Nearly six in 10 respondents in the Pew Research poll say the president will "accomplish not much or nothing of what he wants to get done." By contrast, only a third say Obama will accomplish "some" of his remaining goals, while a mere 6 percent predict Obama will get a "great deal" of what he wants done.

Separately, a poll from Gallup finds that 53 percent want Republicans to have more influence than Obama. Thirty-six percent say they want the president to set the agenda.

In the Pew poll, 41 percent say they want congressional Republicans to take the lead in solving the nation's problems. Forty percent say they wanted the president to do so.

By contrast, in 2010 — when Republicans retook control of the House — half of Americans said Obama should take the lead, whole just three in 10 said the GOP should.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

So Sad... (sniff)... Landrieu Not Given A Single Penny This Past Week From Outside Dem Groups For Runoff

(Don't let the door hit ya in the butt)

Via Capitol City Project:

Six days ago, it was reported the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee wouldn't be lending any more support to Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) leading up to her December 6 runoff election against Republican opponent Bill Cassidy, as the DSCC has canceled its advertising reservations in the state. However, it appears that her problems extend well beyond them, as even more outside groups have appeared to jump ship — at least for the time being.

FEC filings from the past week show that the sitting senator hasn't received one independent donation from any outside group either in support of her re-election or opposing Cassidy. In fact, every independent committee or PAC donation went in support of her Republican challenger or into opposing her in the runoff election.
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Settlement Reached In Texas Ebola Death Case

(Confidential settlement, that is)

Via CNN:

(CNN) — The family of Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian national who died of Ebola at a Texas hospital, has reached a confidential settlement with Texas Health Resources, according to the Duncan family attorney Les Weisbrod.

In September, Duncan traveled to Texas from Liberia and began experiencing Ebola symptoms which prompted him to go to the emergency room at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas. He was misdiagnosed and sent home, both the Duncan family and Texas health authorities have said. Duncan was hospitalized days later, tested for Ebola and then began receiving care.

Part of the settlement, Weisbrod said, entailed creating a memorial fund intended to raise money that will go to help victims of Ebola in West Africa where the virus has hit communities the hardest.

The Texas Health Dallas Thomas Eric Duncan Memorial Fund, which Weisbrod said would be described in detail later, will be run by a Duncan family member and Texas Health Resources, according to the lawyer.

The attorney also said that the Duncan family received a private letter of apology from Texas Health Resources.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Pictures Of  The Day

[...]

Flashback – ObamaCare Pictured

"Gruber"
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Obuma Set To Award Medal Of Freedom To
Lib Mouthpiece Dingbat Tom Brokaw

(Tommy to receive the "Thanks for your loyalty in covering my Ass" Award)

Via Newsbusters:
On Monday, the White House announced that President Obama would award the Presidential Medal of Freedom to former NBC Nightly News anchor and current special correspondent Tom Brokaw – among other 2014 recipients. Today news anchor Natalie Morales touted the announcement on Monday, noting: "Obama said in a statement, these citizens have made extraordinary contributions to our country and the world."

Brokaw has repeatedly taken the opportunity to boost or defend Barack Obama throughout his presidency. That made it no surprise that the commander-in-chief would want to reward such a loyal media supporter.

In fact, it would not be the first time Obama bestowed an honor on Brokaw. In 2009, the President named Brokaw to the selection panel for the White House Fellows program.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Report: Obama To Unveil 10-Point Immigration Plan Using Executive Orders As Early As Next Week

(Ay! Caramba!)

Via Fox News:
President Obama is planning to unveil a 10-part plan for overhauling U.S. immigration policy via executive action — including suspending deportations for millions — as early as next Friday, a source close to the White House told Fox News.

The president's plans were contained in a draft proposal from a U.S. government agency. The source said the plan could be announced as early as Nov. 21, though the date might slip a few days pending final White House approval.

Obama was briefed at the White House by Homeland Security officials before leaving on his Asia-Pacific trip last week, Fox News has learned.

The plan contains 10 initiatives than span everything from boosting border security to improving pay for immigration officers.

But the most controversial planks pertain to the millions who could get a deportation reprieve under what is known as "deferred action."

The plan calls for expanding deferred action for illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children — but also for the parents of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.

The latter could allow upwards of 4.5 million illegal immigrant adults with U.S.-born children to stay, according to estimates.

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk