Colorado wild fires

Started by Janet Harrington, June 29, 2012, 09:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Waldo, are you doing okay with the wildlifes? Are they getting close to you?

Warph

Oh Wow... the devastation of this fire.  I sure hope he's alright and they didn't name this Canyon after him...

Homes destroyed by the Waldo Canyon fire - along with homes untouched by flames - are seen from the air on June 30, 2012 in Colorado Springs, Colo. The massive fire, which has eased with the help of cooler temperatures and lighter winds, has destroyed hundreds of homes and forced more than 35,000 people to flee.

I recommend everyone go to this great site, The Dever Post and see what is happening to the Colorado Springs Fires.  Amazing Pictures
Read more: Photos: Waldo Canyon Fire near Garden of the Gods | Denver Post Photos, Video http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/06/photos-waldo-canyon-fire-near-garden-of-the-gods/38318/#ixzz1zJ79fn3V
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

The smoke from the Waldo Canyon fire covers the residential area in the south part of Air Force Academy on Thursday in Colorado Springs, Colo, June 28, 2012. Colorado Springs Mayor Steve Bach told an afternoon news conference that 347 homes on 34 streets have been destroyed by the Waldo Canyon Fire. Hyoung Chang, The Denver Post

A firefighting helicopter dropped a load of water on the Waldo Canyon Fire

Air crews continue to work the Waldo Canyon Fire, Wednesday June 27, 2012, near the Air Force Academy in Colorado Spring. RJ Sangosti, The Denver Post

Taylor Salamon, 11, holds on to his dog as they pile in the back seat, Tuesday June 26, 2012, as his family rushes to leave their home in the path of Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Spring. RJ Sangosti, The Denver Post

The Waldo Canyon fire explodes today June 26th, 2012. A traffic jam of cars fleeing the city heads east on both sides of Woodmen Road. The road is closed to westbound traffic. The Waldo Canyon fire continues to burn northwest of Manitou Springs, Colorado today June 26th, 2012. Helen H. Richardson, The Denver Post

http://director.denverpost.com/p.php?a=cnwjMSU6Oz1OWkwuKjQwJzs6Jis8PzouNyowNC4jKyAiPjQjJjs%2FNCY%2BLiY0&m=1340765561

Colorado wildfire: 346 homes lost, 1 dead in Waldo Canyon firehttp://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20968480/colorado-wildfire-346-homes-leveled-by-waldo-canyon

Read more: Colorado wildfire: 346 homes lost, 1 dead in Waldo Canyon fire - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20968480/colorado-wildfire-346-homes-leveled-by-waldo-canyon#ixzz1zJCPcxNU
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Last Updated today @ 12:36 p.m. ET

(CBS/AP) COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- About 10,000 people remained displaced by the most destructive wildfire in Colorado history Saturday, a day after President Obama visited the scene and called it a "major disaster."

Two burned bodies have been found so far. Police say fewer than 10 people may be unaccounted for.

The Waldo Canyon fire at the edge of Colorado Springs - home of the flagship U.S. Olympic Committee training center - was 30 percent contained. Its danger has kept investigators from visiting the area where the fire broke out on June 23 to determine the cause.

More than 30,000 people initially were evacuated, and more than 350 homes have burned. The two bodies were found in the ruins of one house. The victims' names haven't been released.

"It looks like hell. I would imagine it felt like a nuclear bomb went off. There was fire everywhere," said exhausted firefighter Rich Rexach, who had been working 12-hour days since Tuesday.

On Sunday, many remaining evacuees will begin to get a look at what firefighters have been seeing: they'll start touring their burned-out neighborhoods by bus, to see what's left.

The weather was expected to take a slight turn for the worse Saturday after three straight days of favorable firefighting conditions, but officials are still optimistic they can increase containment by the end of the day, according to CBS Affiliate KKTV in Colorado Springs.

Incident Commander Rich Harvey said Saturday would be a tougher day than the last few, with hot temperatures, dry air, and the potential of thunderstorm and erratic wind testing expected to test the existing containment lines.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Our " First State Twenty'' are there doing mop up and back fires on the little bits that aren't completely out.

W. Gray

Janet,

We are 80 miles northeast of the Waldo Canyon fire and about 80 miles southwest of the High Park fire. Those two are the major fires. There are some smaller ones in between.

Never heard of Waldo Canyon until earlier this week, chuckle.

We have stayed indoors mostly because of the heat. But outside there is a slight overcast from all the smoke. Still, the Hayman fire of 2002 or so turned day into night here. The sun was literally blocked out then. That fire was about 30 miles closer to us.

The Hayman fire was the worst in Colorado history until the High Park fire. High Park became the worst earlier this month but now Waldo Canyon is the worst to hit Colorado.

There were some really expensive homes that went up in this latest fire.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

This is so sad. These pictures just make me cry. I feel so sorry for these people. I pray everyday for the people involved.

Diane Amberg

I had been to the Flying W many years ago. What a shame. I have friends in Boulder who are worried too.

Janet Harrington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk