Memorial Day Photos

Started by Warph, May 26, 2012, 10:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Birthplace of Memorial Day: The village of Waterloo, New York
first celebrated Memorial Day in 1866.

Flowers: A woman places flowers on the gravesite of a soldier killed in action in the Iraq War

Flags In: A U.S. Army soldier places an American flag at Arlington National Cemetery. Troops will place
an American flag at each of the more than 220,000 graves at the cemetery for Memorial Day.

Flags at Half Mast: On Memorial Day, flags around the Washington Monument fly at half staff.

War Reenactors: To show their support, on Memorial Day, many take part in battle reenactments.
Here, Civil War reenactors in Indiana stand quietly with their hands on their hearts.

The Fallen on Foreign Soil: Many veterans are buried abroad, near where they died during battle.
Pictured is an American cemetery in Impruneta, Italy.

Saluting the Fallen: Members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars salute during Memorial Day
ceremonies at the Arlington National Cemetery.

Iwo Jima War Memorial: The Memorial commemorates the moment when American Marines placed
an American flag over Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial: Located in Washington, D.C., The Vietnam Veterans Memorial
(also known as the Vietnam Wall) honors American soldiers who died in the Vietnam War.

World War II Memorial: In 2004, the World War II memorial opened in Washington, D.C.
The memorial honors those who fought in the Atlantic and Pacific fronts of the war.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier: The tomb, in Arlington National Cemetery, honors those
who died in war but were never identified.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

jarhead

Warph,
Is there a reason why the Civil War re-enactors  are holding their left hand over their heart instead of their right ?

Warph

Quote from: jarhead on May 27, 2012, 07:35:05 AM
Warph,
Is there a reason why the Civil War re-enactors  are holding their left hand over their heart instead of their right ?

Yeah... they all voted for Obuma back in 2008, Jar.

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

flo

Warph,

yes there is, Warph, because they are holding their rifles with their right hand.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

jarhead

Flo, Then when they were at "order arms" they should have went to "port arms" then to "present arms"---problem solved. It's possible the negative was flipped on that picture and they were using their right hand but when "under arms" placing ones hand over their heart is not the proper protocol----unless things have changed since I was in "the Old Corps" :D

Ms Bear

The negative wasn't flipped.  The letters on the flag are right. 

jarhead

Ms Bear,
Magnum PI would be proud of your excellent observation :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk