Is it right...

Started by Patriot, April 19, 2012, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

...for members of a county commission comprised of 3 or more elected officials sworn to uphold the law and comprising a policy making body that is required by law to make all binding decisions and issue all binding directives in full public view, as a  body politic, by open vote, to then, individually and in private, personally direct the specific actions of individual county employees in their assigned duties outside the presence of the public?

...or should such direction be issued by that body politic, only after discussion and majority vote, in open meetings, in full view of the public and other members?

In short, is it proper, absent a bona fide emergency affecting county operations, for any individual member of that body politic to micro-manage or direct the daily activities of various government employees?  If so, then by what reason?

Just curious.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Wilma

I am not sure, but I have assumed from being personally acquainted with several past county commissioners, that part of their duties is the overseeing of the road department in their respective district, without having to consult the other commissioners.  In this department it is possible that an immediate decision has to be made.  I know for a fact that one of the commissioners made frequent visits to the road shop in Howard and knowing well one of the other past commissioners, it is possible that he might have haunted the shop.

jarhead

Patiot,
Did I miss it---where  did you say anything about the "road department ' ?
Just curious

Patriot

Quote from: jarhead on April 20, 2012, 08:35:29 AM
Patiot,
Did I miss it---where  did you say anything about the "road department ' ?
Just curious

Don't think I did.   ???   But if the shoe fits.

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on April 20, 2012, 07:44:45 AM
...part of their duties is the overseeing of the road department in their respective district, without having to consult the other commissioners.  In this department it is possible that an immediate decision has to be made...

Your comment then begs the question:  Why do we hire and pay a public works supervisor to be on the job full time?  Can he/she not make the 'immediate decisions' that you mention?  After all, there are detailed written plans covering operations during major emergencies.

Wilma

Since Pat has once again made comments without naming names or stating facts, I assumed he meant the road department.  If he didn't, he should say what he means.  Would save us all a lot of trouble.  As to what I said about the county commissioners visiting the road yard, I know for a fact that one of them was keeping an eye on what was being done.  Of course this was some time ago and things may have changed since then.  I think that you have to agree that the more steps in the chain of command, the less efficient the department becomes.  If the road supervisor has to consult the commissioners before making a decision, it just delays the start of the work day, doesn't it?  Why shouldn't the commissioner who is responsible for the district, be on site and why should he have to consult the other commissioners about problems in his district?

Now, Pat, just who are you talking about?

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on April 20, 2012, 10:17:58 AM
Now, Pat, just who are you talking about?

What is it about you that always ASSumes?  I was referring generally to the idea of micro-management by one arm of a body politic exercising daily directive authority over ANY county employee in the absence of the other board members.  There's no blackboard here, so that's the best I can do to help you understand.

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on April 20, 2012, 10:17:58 AM
...Why shouldn't the commissioner who is responsible for the district, be on site and why should he have to consult the other commissioners about problems in his district?

Perhaps because a commissioner is a representative of the residents in his/her district to the entire board.  Commissioners are not the district boss, are they?  The authority for specific supervision/direction rests with the entire commission as a whole.  Does it not?

Wilma

Then are you ASSuming that what you are saying is true?  Do you have any facts that any one of our commissioners are micro-managing?  And if they are, isn't that part of their job?  Sorry, I don't understand assumptions.  I prefer facts and until I have them why should I believe what is being said?  Which of our commissioners is micro-managing?  Who is being micro-managed?

jarhead

Quote from Wilma:
I prefer facts and until I have them why should I believe what is being said?

Wilma, You have me totally confused. You say this, then on the "lynch Zimmerman " thread you want the lad tar & feathered, then hung---and all because of what they said on NBC,CBS and ABC ? Talk about heads exploding !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk