BIRDS

Started by Wilma, November 30, 2006, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Use bright colors and it will be easier to see the nests.  We did that one year and we located 3 nests.

Tobina+1

Quote from: Wilma on May 08, 2008, 05:56:15 PM
Thanks for the info.  I will measure daughter with her arm straight up and if she can't reach the limb I will find another one.

Find another daughter or find another limb?  (wink)

Wilma

Another arm.  What did you think I meant? ;D ;D ;D

Wilma

You won't believe this.  I just saw a pileated woodpecker and I have a witness.  I was looking out the living room window to see if the black chinned hummingbird were still there and a pileated woodpecker flew in and landed on the old stump about 6 feet from the window.  He was interested in the fungi that the wet weather has caused on the stump.  He worked at it until Bud decided he needed to see, too.  Daughter is here and she got to the window in time to see him.  He flew up into the sycamore tree and then on to the other side of the house.

I found another arm yesterday and had my birdhouse hung in the apple tree.  I think it is too late for the wrens, though.

sixdogsmom

Here is where all my money goes! The golfinches are thick right now!
Edie

Diane Amberg

Wilma, what a treat to see a pileated woodpecker. They are so big! We have them in the woods across from our house and once in a while we'll see them in our trees. I have some very friendly gold finches too, but not as many as SDM has. They are so pretty. Love that finch feeder.

Wilma

I knew there was something missing from this forum and today I realized what it was.  Nobody is posting about the birds they are feeding.

I am feeding the usual cardinals, blue jays, chick-a-dees, sparrows.  Yesterday I saw a black and white warbler in one of the trees.  I don't think they are common around here, are they?

Judy Harder

wilma, around these apartments we all seem to feed cats. I would love to feed the birds,
but I won't help the cats catch and eat them. 
The bushes this past summer created berries and that will have to be what the lesser birds eat
around here.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

pamsback

So far I've had cardinals, titmouses, chickadees, goldfinches, bluejays and a indigo or two...just got my feeders out a couple weeks ago...had to get new ones this year :P

Wilma

OK, all you bird enthusiasts, it is Feb. 3 and I was just watching three goldfinches in my bird feeder.  You know how I know they are goldfinches?  One of them had a yellow tail and smudges of yellow on it's body.  The other two just seemed to have a yellow glimmer.  Now isn't this rather early for the finches to be turning color?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk