Pink Slime?

Started by Diane Amberg, March 30, 2012, 11:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Ok, so somebody tell me what the big deal is?

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 30, 2012, 11:58:24 AM
Ok, so somebody tell me what the big deal is?
the big deal?  Do you wash your meat with Ammonia before you use it?   notice they take 10% of Ammonia washed meat and mix it with non Ammonia washed meat to dillute the toxicity of the Ammonia. 

IF your into that, then why not just pour it into your coffee or your water. Same thing you know.   
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

flintauqua

How about some science based info on this subject rather than a bunch of hype and misinformation:

http://beefisbeef.com/2012/03/15/top-7-myths-of-pink-slime/

http://www.hy-vee.com/company/press-room/press-releases/hy-vee-statement-on-lean-finely-textured-beef.aspx#.T3R4UPVEXwQ.facebook

http://www.iowafarmbureau.com/article.aspx?articleID=56647

An excerpt from the immediate above link:

"If you're wondering about ammonium hydroxide, used to safeguard the product before it is added to food products, you should know that it's essentially ammonia and water, both naturally occurring compounds, highly studied and long considered safe by the USDA and it's been used to make foods safe since 1974.  Boneless lean beef trimmings receive a puff of ammonia to eliminate bacteria safely and effectively.  In all those years, no illness or recall has ever been documented with this product.  In fact, food safety experts and scientists agree, since it has been certified safe by the US Food and Drug Administration since 1974, to ensure ground beef is safe from pathogens such as e coli. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My words:

We've been eating meat from this process for 20 years, and if we allow foodie elitists to shame it out of the food supply, we will need another 1.5 million head of cattle to replace it.  And that doesn't happen overnight.  

Do we really want 5 or 6 dollar hamburger because a bunch of misinformed media mavens and anti-meat activists decided they could press their agenda through a smear campaign by giving lean finely textered beef a catchy name that makes it sound yucky?

I think I'll go get some 90/10 lean ground beef and fire up the grill this evening!
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Diane Amberg

Yeah, the name sure isn't very nice is it? Might as well call it pink snot!
I can't get very excited personally, because I do understand the science of it all. As far as putting ammonia in my coffee, I don't put ground beef in my coffee either, so I guess it doesn't matter.
   We eat a lot more ground turkey and fish. My ground beef is usually fresh ground at the butcher, or occasionally I grind it myself but I do buy it at the store sometimes too. I've probably eaten slime in fast food burgers though and I'm not dead yet. I just wondered what you cattle country folks thought.

flintauqua

Diane, (and everyone else) check out the graphic at this link for a little more on the ammonium hydroxide part of this story:

http://beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/what-lean-finely-textured-beef

And the idea that ammonia, like you would find in your kitchen or laundryroom, is just poured into the beef (like steve insinuated) is just complete fiction.  A very small amount of gaseous ammonium hydroxide is introduced during the process to kill ecoli and other bacteria.  Lean, finely textured beef is not the only foodstuff produced this way.  

And because ammonium hydroxide is a naturally occurring compound, it is already present in many food commodities at time of harvest or slaughter.

And one last comment on this subject.

Does beef straight from a butcher or slaughtered at home contain the same meat that is in lean, finely textured beef?  Yes.  It's the beef trimmings that go into the ground beef, hot dogs, sausage, etc.  It's just hasn't been seperated from all the fat that is in the trimmings with it. 

That's what the processors that produce lean finely textured beef do, they mechanically seperate the meat from the fat, rather than selling all the fat to Jack Sprat and assuming his wife would get it cooked out of his hamburger.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

srkruzich

Quote from: flintauqua on March 30, 2012, 12:13:14 PM
How about some science based info on this subject rather than a bunch of hype and misinformation:
Ok what misinformation did i give.  Ammonium hydroxide is ammonium. And they wash the meat in it.
A puff denotes gaseous substance but Ammonium hydroxide is not a gas. It is very much a liquid. 

Quote"If you're wondering about ammonium hydroxide, used to safeguard the product before it is added to food products, you should know that it's essentially ammonia and water, both naturally occurring compounds, highly studied and long considered safe by the USDA and it's been used to make foods safe since 1974.  Boneless lean beef trimmings receive a puff of ammonia to eliminate bacteria safely and effectively.  In all those years, no illness or recall has ever been documented with this product.  In fact, food safety experts and scientists agree, since it has been certified safe by the US Food and Drug Administration since 1974, to ensure ground beef is safe from pathogens such as e coli. "
So says the government who's record on food safety is about as excellent as its managment of tax dollars. Yeah right. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My words:

We've been eating meat from this process for 20 years, and if we allow foodie elitists to shame it out of the food supply, we will need another 1.5 million head of cattle to replace it.  And that doesn't happen overnight.  
Not by choice. It is only recently that this has come out.  Sorry but i don't care to put toxic chemicals into my food and the government has no business allowing it in my food.  Furthermore if its so freaking safe, then why aren't they required to list the ammonium hydroxide as a ingredient. 

QuoteDo we really want 5 or 6 dollar hamburger because a bunch of misinformed media mavens and anti-meat activists decided they could press their agenda through a smear campaign by giving lean finely textered beef a catchy name that makes it sound yucky?

I think I'll go get some 90/10 lean ground beef and fire up the grill this evening!

It wouldn't matter, the apparant greed of the industry has dictated tht they get to supply us with refuse food that normally would be turned into pet food.  Nothing but absolute greed.
Its a good thing i don't buy beef with that shit in it.  I watch my ground beef being freshly ground with no ammonium hydroxide added. AND its no more expensive than the shit they sell with that stuff added.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 30, 2012, 01:02:39 PM
Yeah, the name sure isn't very nice is it? Might as well call it pink snot!
I can't get very excited personally, because I do understand the science of it all. As far as putting ammonia in my coffee, I don't put ground beef in my coffee either, so I guess it doesn't matter.
   We eat a lot more ground turkey and fish. My ground beef is usually fresh ground at the butcher, or occasionally I grind it myself but I do buy it at the store sometimes too. I've probably eaten slime in fast food burgers though and I'm not dead yet. I just wondered what you cattle country folks thought.

The correct term for it is pink shit.  Cause thts what it is, its waste.  I too do not buy anything that isn't fresh ground. I ask the butcher he gets the meat and fresh grinds it. 
I like ground turkey for things like tacos or something spicy.  Trying to get me some heritage breeds to raise and kill and grind my own.

Actually mcdonalds does not use that in their meat.  They realized the danger in it and stopped using it a few years ago. Not that i admit their burgers are really burgers.  I think theres a list of restaurants that will not use that pink stuff.

Primarily it went to school children and we all know what school lunchs are like!  Not fit for man nor beast.

srkruzich

I don't care if its gaseous or if its liquid. its still not acceptable.  Its still a toxic substance added to our food supply.  Just because its just a little poison doesn't mean it doesn't affect us. I mean you can take arsenic a little at a time too and still live but it has a cumulative effect. 

I don't care if you wish to poison yourself, but i don't and wont' do so to myself.   ehh next year i'll have me a beef of my own and i'll butcher it myself guess what, i know whats in it and it won't have any mystery stuff in it.

Diane Amberg

Personally I like Wendy's hamburgers better than McD's.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 30, 2012, 07:01:06 PM
Personally I like Wendy's hamburgers better than McD's.
wendys has never used pink slime.  :D 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk