Freezing Rain & Snow

Started by CrumCowgirlMama, November 29, 2006, 12:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

We're thinking of taking a drive over today to check on the building (especially the water pipes). I'm sure 400 is clear, but how is 99? Has anyone from Howard made the drive to Wichita in the past couple days?

Janet Harrington

The highways are clear pretty much.  Washington street is clear.  The side streets and Wabash St. has been plowed, but with the snow in the middle, like Kjell put on the first page, you have to be careful.  You will be okay in town if you are just careful.  Probably the biggest problem you will have is getting into the church because the snow is deep.  Wear winter clothing and water proof boots.

Joanna

Lynne,  I had to go to Independence today to get some carpet, and the highways were beautiful, dry and clean.  The Independence city streets, however were in much worse shape than Howard's.  The parking lot at WalMart was so awful that people were stuck there.  Two people fell in the parking lot while I was there, and the snow fell off the roof over the entrance and knocked another lady down.  I just drove through and left ~ what a mess!

Janet Harrington

One would have thought that Wal-Mart would have hired someone to clean off their lot at night when there were very few customeers.  How dumb is that?  I hope that the people who fell didn't get hurt.  Maybe they need a good lawyer?  Wonder if I could do that????   ::) ::)

indygal

Hey there ... we just got home from Howard a few minutes ago. Took Janet's advice and bundled up good. We were so pleased there were no broken water pipes in the basement and no snow seeped through the back door (Terrell had just fixed it last weekend, bless his heart. He did a great job!)

We ate burgers at Poplar and drove home beneath a spectacular sunset. I sure do love the Flint Hills, any time of year.

Joanna, we stopped at Walmart when we got into Wichita and the parking lots were terrible here too. What a madhouse.

MarineMom

Quote from: Janet Harrington on December 02, 2006, 11:27:42 AM
  The side streets and Wabash St. has been plowed, but with the snow in the middle, like Kjell put on the first page,

They must have only plowed Wabash as far as Washington 'cos none of the streets down here including Wabash have been plowed :'(

Wilma

I am beginning to feel so privileged because my street has been plowed both ways and I am not exactly in the middle of town.  I am exactly about as far from the middle of town as I can be.

CrumCowgirlMama

I went out with a yardstick the day after the big snowstorm and we had 14 inces out here...I live about 6 miles northwest of Howard. There was a snow drift in the backyard that came up to my waist!! Our roads weren't plowed until Saturday, I think it was. Billy and I went into town on Friday to get some dinner and the country roads were a mess! The snow came halfway up the tires on the truck. Thank goodness all that man will ever buy is a diesel 4-wheel drive pickup! I don't like snow at all. So I just stay inside and go out only when needed. The dogs sure loved it! Running and playing...It was so cute.

Teresa

And when it all melts~~~~
  sloppy messy icky.

By the way  CrumCowgirlMama.. I  like your new picture and your sidekick is awesome.
( spoken from a true horse lover)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I found out why I was so privileged as to have my street plowed both directions.  The owner of the equipment lives at the south end of the street and his business is on the corner of Walnut and Washington.  Lucky me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk