LAKIN, Shirley Ann (Hurt) - b. January 2, 1936 - d. March 4, 2012

Started by Janet Harrington, March 07, 2012, 04:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Shirley Ann Lakin, age 76, of Coffeyville Kansas, passed away Sunday March 4, 2012 in her home with her family at her side. She was born in Severy, Kansas on January 2, 1936, to Loren Veral and Helena Hurt.

Shirley attended Severy schools, graduating from Severy High School in 1953.  She married Rex Lakin in 1952, who preceded her in death April 28th, 2001.

Shirley was a member of the First United Methodist church and later attended the First Nazarene Church in Coffeyville. She was noted for her beautiful hand stitched quilts. Shirley worked in their family restaurant in Severy, Kansas. Later she worked at Delray in Chanute, Kansas. She worked closely with her husband Rex remodeling homes. Shirley accompanied Rex on weekends playing music and enjoyed bowling in her spare time.

She is survived by sisters, Margaret and husband, Bob McLean of Eureka Kansas, Wilma and husband, Walter Dean of Texas;  sons, Brent Lakin of Coffeyville Kansas and Brian Lakin of Tulsa Oklahoma; grandchildren, Toni,whom she raised, Shane, Jeremy, Justin, and Ashley; and great grandchildren, Keenon, Amanda, Hannah, Malachy, Cameryn, Isaac, Bentley, Skyland, Ryder, Elecia, Jayden, Xavier, and Aries.

Memorial services for Shirley will be held on Friday, March 9, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. at the First Nazarene Church of Coffeyville, Kansas.  Burial will be in Severy, Kansas.  The family suggests memorials to the Terry C. Johnson Center for Basic Cancer Research at Kansas State University.  Contributions may be left with the funeral home or mailed c/o David W. Barnes Funeral Home, 306 North Cline Road, Coffeyville, KS 67337.

(taken from the David W. Barnes Funeral Home website).

Janet Harrington

Shirley and Rex lived in Grenola, Kansas, for a time while I was sheriff. They were both extremely nice people, at least to me.

frawin

I spent a lot of time around Rex and Shirley in the late 1950's.  Of course, I know most of Shirley's cousins on both sides of her family tree, and still keep in contact with many of them.  Rex was a good musician and spent a lot of time with his band at the Severy Labor Day celebrations backing my sister and I sometimes when we were singing in the afternoon.  They were both good people and a lot of fun.  They were very good to me when I lived in Wichita.
I am sad to see her go.
Myrna

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk