THe Old Bank Building in Howard

Started by farmgal67357, October 23, 2011, 01:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmgal67357

Does anyone know who owns it? It is such a beautiful building, I'm surprised that no one has done anything with it. It would make some really neat apartments!
Lisa
Lisa

Diane Amberg

I'm not the one to answer but there are those here who can tell you a lot about that building

W. Gray

It was "robbed" at gunpoint, last month.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ms Bear

I am sure the history would be interesting and you're right Lisa, it is a beautiful building.  It amazes me how they were able to build large buildings with the tools they had to use.

Were there ever any brick yards in Elk County?  If not, where did they get the brick from for the streets and buildings?

Judy Harder

Ms Bear, if my memory is right Moline had a brick yard.............I think that it was north of town towards the cemetary.......I have not been up that way for over 20 years, so don't know if the left-overs are still there or not. I use to help with Mr. Goods horses and think near his place, which was on the east/west road that was about a mile past there.
Bet we get a discussion on this one. I like the remember whens, since I am not a native..like hearing the stories.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

flintauqua

The Moline brick works were southwest of town, behind were the Diebold house sat.  At least two different capitalizations occurred to purchase equipment and run a rail spur to the site, but it's not known with certainty if any bricks were ever made.  

The piles of brick rubble on the south side of Goss Hill (east of the Goods, south of the cemetary) are the remnants of Moline High School, hauled there when it burned.

(Brother Dan will correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.)

Charles
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

W. Gray

Brick Plant at Moline

by DDurbin is a thread in the Good Old Days.

Peru had a brick factory.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

debid

I have been in both sides of the Howard bank building.  It would take about $70.000 to do the renovations it would need to even get it workable to make anything out of it.  It is so sad.

farmgal67357

It is so sad that it just sits there. I think it could be a real asset to Howard if rehabbed. Maybe I should start saving my pennies!: )
Lisa
Lisa

RDSchoutenFarms

The Greenwood Hotel in Eureka was in sad shape too, but look at it now. Can't something like that be done? Not sure if the city or Greenwood County had grants involved or volunteers, but it's an idea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk