Halloween

Started by farmgal67357, October 07, 2011, 02:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmgal67357

Do the kids in Howard go trick or treating?
Lisa
Lisa

Jane

They really go Christmas shopping!!!!!!!!

oldfart

no they drive around lookingfor a teachers house to egg and paper , you better sit on the porch all nite.   leave the porch light on you have some kids come by

Wilma

Yes, Lisa, the kids go trick or treating.  Leave your porch light on if you want them to stop.  Most of them will be uptown at the weiner roast for awhile, but then, they go looking for some more treats.

larryJ

Wife had mentioned yesterday about decorating for Halloween.  When I came home with GD#1 from school, we got all the stuff out and decorated.  We usually don't know much evidenced by the fact that a lot of our decorations still had price tags on them!  We can't even remember buying them!  Oh well, they are up and we are done.  We usually get between 50 and 70 kids every year.  I will go to the store next week and stock up on the candy.  I buy two kinds that I can't or don't eat and one bag of Snickers or Reeses which I save for the last in case I run out of the others.  Then what's left is mine, all mine. ;D

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Janet Harrington

I love Halloween. When I was sheriff, I would open the two doors and just wait for the little spooks to come by. Jim and I usually get about 30. I plan on driving back from Independence just for that night.

Diane Amberg

I bought my candy today and will do my porch decorations tomorrow. One ghost wind sock and bats hanging all around the edge of the porch with a big ol' rat by the front door. I have an medical study human heart that will sit as if the rat is nibbling on it.  Behind that will be a little ice chest marked "human organ for transplant." Up on the house wall under the porch will be a big spider web with one of Jane's big old spiders in it.

oldfart

70 kids didnt think Howard had that many kids all together, you sure some dont change mask with each other

larryJ

It ain't Howard, oldfart, it's Covina, CA. population, 40,000+, one of 88 cities in Los Angeles County, on a street that is in a tract with one way and out, and approximately 134 homes in the tract.  That said............I have lived here 36 years........I have seen families come and go and my granddaughters are here a lot during the week so I know about how many kids live in the neighborhood.  Certainly not 50-70. Many of the homes are owned by older folks, like me. What happens is that parents load the kids in the car and drive to all different neighborhoods to trick-or-treat.  Is that fair?  What's the difference as long as the kids get to go trick-or-treating.  I've had mothers with 2 week old babies come to the door.  Now, you know that baby ain't going to eat the candy!  I've had high school girls come to the door that could be arrested for indecent exposure with some of the costumes they wear.  For a few years, there was a quartet of high school kids, two girls and two guys coming to the door.  One of the boys played a guitar and the four of them sang a song they made up about going out and getting some Halloween candy which they did very well and earned them extra pieces of candy from me.  I've had young men and women coming to the door, maybe in their 20's, no costume, no nothing, just going around and getting free candy.  One time I told one of them, no costume, no candy.  He gave me a dirty look and walked off.  Then I had to watch the cars in the driveway for a while to make sure they didn't get vandalized.  Many years ago, when my kids were small, my neighbor and I would walk the kids around the neighborhood.  At some of the houses, he and I would get our own treat.......a bottle of beer or a glass of wine!  Life was good then.  But kids grow up and one Halloween, he and I thought we might go out and see if we could get our "treats."  Idea was quashed by our respective spouses.  Then he moved.  Anyway, I love Halloween with all the imaginative costumes and giving out the candy.  I set up a TV tray by the front door with a big bowl of candy on it and I sit where I can see the kids coming up the driveway and watch TV at the same time. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

farmgal67357

We lived in the country for many years, so when we moved into town we got to do the handing out candy thing again. It is so much fun! We usually have scary movies and popcorn for us later in the evening. Sometimes Kyle invites some friends over.
Lisa
Lisa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk