MC CLAYLAND, Clarence W. - b. April 7, 1920 - d. September 22, 2011

Started by patyrn, September 22, 2011, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Clarence W. McClayland, age 91, of Fredonia, Kansas, died Thursday, September 22, 2011 at the Golden Living Center in Fredonia.  Clarence was born on April 7, 1920 to Leafie Lois Rice and John William McClayland on a farm between Severy, Kansas and Fall River, Kansas.

He attended country grade school and was a graduate of Severy High School.  In high school, Clarence had one passion -- baseball.  He was an outstanding pitcher.  He played on the Severy team, and they played in competition with Wichita East and distinguished themselves by winning a tournament game.  Clarence held the state strikeout record for 66 years.  He later was invited twice to try out with the St. Louis Cardinals.

On August 15, 1948, Clarence married Ione Jones in Wichita, Kansas.  They were married for 63 years.  Ione survives at her home.  In later years as well as earning a reputation for being a good farmer, he was a promoter of the Hereford breed of cattle.  He was happiest when the cattle won shows.  His children and grandchildren did well at this, including a grandson who won a National Hereford show.

The McClayland family hosted an Ashley Railroad Stop which is said to have hauled all of the material which was used in the building of the Fall River Dam.  In later years, the farm and the interests it held were center stages in his life.  The success and interests of his progeny were evidence of things done right in his years on earth.

Survivors, including his wife, Ione, are three sons, Dean McClayland of New Mexico and currently working in Iraq, Kevin McClayland and wife, Priyanat of Fredonia, Kansas, and Brent McClayland and wife, Tammy of Alma, Kansas;  one daughter, Marilyn Stevens of Diamond Head, Mississippi; one sister, Myrna Pinkstaff and husband, Bob of Wichita, Kansas; 5 grandchildren; and 3 great-grandchildren.  Clarence was preceded in death by his parents.

Funeral services will be held Monday, September 26, 2011 at 1:00 p.m. at Countryside Funeral Home, 420 S. 20th Street, Fredonia, Kansas with Pastor Charlotte Coates officiating.  Burial will follow at Twin Grove Cemetery in Severy, Kansas.  Public visitation will be Sunday, September 25, 2011 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.at the funeral home.  Memorials have been suggested to the Wilson County 4-H  Club and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Services have been entrusted to Countryside Funeral Home, P.O. Box 247, Fredonia, Kansas 66736.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

frawin

I am saddened to learn of the passing of Clarence.  He was a gentle man and a good farmer as well as very supportive of his wife's career and his family.  Ione was music teacher when I was in high school and though she was small in stature, she knew how to get the best from her students.  I believe she also gave private piano lessons.  My sympathy to the McClayland family.

Myrna

flo

Mrs. McClayland began teaching music at Severy when I was in second grade.  She went from Miss Jones to Mrs. McClayland.  She was still my music teacher when I graduated from High School.  It is because of Mrs. McClayland that even today music is a big part of my life by playing both the piano and organ.  I can still pick out the instruments playing in The Nut Cracker Suite.  I started with her for piano lessons, but she quit teaching me piano because, like Myrna, I played too much by ear and tended to play notes that were not on the music.  She and Clarence were both wonderful people. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Janet Harrington

We attended the Methodist Church in Severy with the McClayands. Ione is very talented in the music field. I remember their daughter, Marilyn, who had white blonde hair. She was one year behind me in school. I think the McClayand kids all went to Fredonia when Severy and Howard consolidated.

I used to see Ione once in awhile when they lived on the farm south of Fall River. Haven't seen the kids for years.

readyaimduck

Not to be offensive to your posts...but MRS (Ione) is still alive....it was her husband that passed.
Clarence (Lord forbid you call him other than MR. McClayland unless you were very close), was a very private person.

I will miss him.  Shaking his hand and saying hello brought a smile to him.   Something that was never shown alot.

that's all I will say.
ready 

flo

don't know who readyaimduck is, another incognito, but I know, as I'm sure the others know as well, that Mrs. McClayland is among the living.  I also know that it is Clarence that died.  I never thought of him as a very private person and I called him Clarence, even though we weren't what you'd call close friends.  His folks did live just up the road from us east of Severy, however.  I, to this day, call her Mrs. McClayland because that is what we called her as our teacher and I guess it just shows respect to her yet.  One grown man in his 50's still calls me Mrs. Smith from my days at Severy Grade School and he was a student.  I told him one time that now he was allowed to call me Flo, but he said that wouldn't sound right. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

readyaimduck

frawin:  you are correct....he was a quiet, gentle man that DID support his wife who was quite excelled in the music field.

Flo:  not sure if we agree or not, it doesn't matter  as to my incognito status...I am from this area.
This is about a tribute to a man who was of stealth, family, honor and grace.

My prayers are with Mrs. McClayland and the family. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk