Elk County Courthouse 1903

Started by Janet Harrington, November 21, 2006, 06:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Here is the courthouse that burned.  The picture is from an old atlas, so it is not as clear as we wish it could be.  Thanks to my mother, Wilma, for making it accessible to us.

genealogynut

Thank you for sharing that with us. I'll be looking at that again and again.  Old pictures like that seem to have "character."

ddurbin

from THE MOLINE REVIEW  October 4, 1907

The Corner Stone Laid

The corner stone of the new Elk County Court House was laid Wednesday afternoon with the ritual ceremonies of the Masonic lodges.  The weather threatened rain in the morning and kept away many who intended to attend, but there was a good number present to witness the impressive rites as they were performed by those whose office it was to carry out the work.

In the corner stone was placed a sealed box containing many articles representative of history of the county to-day, such as the last editions of all the newspapers published in the county, the records of the various public officers, the cards and stationery of the business men, etc.

The eloquent address by Judge Manford Schoonover, of Garnett, was the chief number on the program.  His address was highly appropriate to the occasion and was listened to with interest throughout.

Janet Harrington

Now that is interesting.  I believe that cornerstone is still there.  Is it supposed to be opened only if something happens to the courthouse? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk