Friends of Elk Falls

Started by W. Gray, September 14, 2011, 10:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Inspired by Jarhead's comment on the Friends of Elk Falls,

I am wondering if any forum members have ever taken the annual tour of outhouses in Elk Falls.

It seems to me that some years have been better than others but there appears to be some rather ingenious and artful efforts going into many of the entries.

One year a radio station offered to do a live broadcast during the tour but do not know if that took place.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

farmgal67357

On one of our trips back to Parsons, we took a detour to visit Elk Falls. What a lovely little surprise of a town! We'll have to go back to see the outhouses.
Lisa
Lisa

Janet Harrington

I have never done the "outhouse crawl". Oh wait. It's not like a pub crawl, right? LOL Anyway, I have never been, but have enjoyed the reading the paper after it was over.

Mom70x7

November 18 & 19 are the dates for the Outhouse contest/tour/festival this year.

W. Gray

I wonder why they wait until it is cold and so late in the year?

greatguns

I have been several times and always enjoy it.  I love to look at the outhouses all decorated up and the quilts.  Plus it is always fun to see old friends.

Judy Harder

Waldo, I asked Paul Eck at our API meeting yesterday why they had the outhouse event so late and he said
it started out as the open house of Jane and Steve Fry's pottery barn.............and they added the outhouses and other
events in Elk Falls to it.
Why so late....is Steve and Jane waited till all their craft fairs were over and the Christmas season was near.
Makes sense, so therefore the cooler weather.
I teasingly said to Paul, they might have waited till a frost so the "smells!" might not be so bad...he said, Maybe!.
I still wish Doobie would comment on here. He is part of the town!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

W. Gray

Thanks, Judy,

I have never been there to vote, etc., and am usually not in Elk County at that time of the year, except Thanksgiving every other year.

I was just curious about that winter time considering I had heard tour buses came through to see the outhouses.

But at that time of the year, now I am wondering as to just who would be taking a tour bus.

Even in November, though, it has to be rather successful, since it has been going on for so long.

Judy Harder

But at that time of the year, now I am wondering as to just who would be taking a tour bus.

My folks use to go at a drop of a hat...........Dad was a member of the GoodYear Leisure club, mainly cause in his last years at GoodYear he was a supervisor and that is what you joined when you retired.
They went on lots of trips, several day trips and once in awhile they did go to Branson for a few days....not sure how many, Mom and Dad liked that place so much we kids teased them about retiring there...........but the grandkids and kids kept them in Topeka.
One of the day trips that was scheduled was a tour of Elk Falls and the outhouses..........and Mom asked me what was so great about that.? One of my favorite places in Elk County is the bridge and falls at Elk Falls.....plus we use to run around and work with a couple from Elk Falls and spent a lot of time there, so when company came to visit we always took them to "THE FALLS" to see it and yes they drove around the area. So after I told them what it was they decided not to waste the money to see what they had already seen.
They agreed with you about the colder time. You know Kansas, we have snow on Thanksgiving, we had about 95 one year and we spent it at Riverside park in Independence, this was before I moved to Elk county.
So just because it is in November, doesn't mean it will be cold/hot/snowy/wet/ what ever happens, happens. maybe one year you will be able to take it in.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk