The Job Situation In Howard, KS Thanks To Mr. I.B.Udder & His Milkmaids

Started by Warph, September 11, 2011, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Quote from: Patriot on September 22, 2011, 09:30:56 PM
I'm afraid this is where we moved from plausible fiction to pure fantasy. 

Then get a couple of county run cat houses and the county extension council to find a few farmers
willing to do some planting and watch the taxes drop. 
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Teresa

Quote from: Warph on September 23, 2011, 08:18:02 PM
Then get a couple of county run cat houses and the county extension council to find a few farmers
willing to do some planting and watch the taxes drop. 

I'll manage and run it...  ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Anmar

Congress is debating increasing tariffs on chinese goods,  lets see how it goes
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

W. Gray

In reference to a "proposed" Elk County cat house:

The Boston Catholic Church building was moved from Boston, Ks, to Moline in 1879. At some point around 1900, a bigger house of worship was needed.

After a larger wooden structure was built, the old church building was sold and the new owner moved it to a location adjacent to the railroad tracks. According to information from a good authority in Moline, the facility was used for several years as a cat house, mainly for railroad workers.

The old building was standing as late as 1981.  A photo and story (minus the cat house information) appeared in a 1981 edition of the Moline newspaper. A photocopy of that article is in a room on the second floor of the Shaffer House Museum in Moline.

Sometime in the 1990s the building was torn down.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk