HUGHES, Frank E. - b. November 6, 1920 - d. September 9, 2011

Started by patyrn, September 09, 2011, 05:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Frank E. Hughes, age 90, a resident of Longton, Kansas, passed away Friday, September 9, 2011 at the Montgomery Place in Independence, Kansas.  He was born on November 6, 1920 in rural Longton, Kansas, the son of James Elmer and May (Woodruff) Hughes.

He attended and graduated from Longton High School.  Frank served his country as a Sergeant in the Army Air Corp during World War II.  After returning to the United States, he met and married Irene M. Brotherton on April 12, 1947, and they made their home in Longton.  In 1948, they moved to Wichita where he was employed by Montgomery Ward for the next twenty-five years.  In 1973, Frank and Irene returned to Longton where he was employed by Hackney Manufacturing in Independence, Kansas until his retirement.  Frank was a member of the American Legion Post #139 and the VFW Post #1186, both of Independence, Kansas.  He enjoyed his annual pheasant hunting trips to western Kansas with his brother, Chet, setting lines on the Elk River on Memorial Weekend for fish, and playing pitch with family and friends.

Frank is survived by a son, James Hughes and his wife, Linda of El Dorado, Kansas; three daughters, Patricia Davis Rowe and her husband, Jerry of Elk City, Kansas, Cathy Christy and her husband, John Perkins of Andover, Kansas, and Sandy Olson of Topeka, Kansas; ten grandchildren; sixteen great-grandchildren; and eight great-great-grandchildren.  He was preceded in death by his parents;  his wife, Irene Hughes; two brothers, Chet Hughes and Walt Hughes; and one sister, Juanita Criger.

Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at the Longton United Methodist Church with Pastor Dena Allison officiating.  Visitation will be from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Monday, September 12, 2011 at Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas.  Interment will be at Longton Cemetery.  Family suggests memorial contributions be made to Independence VFW Post #1186 and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left for the family at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Bonnie M.

Frank had been our friend for many years.  He graduated from Longton High School with my brother, Rex Truitt, in 1942.  Frank and Irene were probably "some" of the best dancers, anywhere!  We were always happy to see him, when we go back to visit, in Longton.  It's sad to lose our good old friends.  Frank, & Rowland Jones, in the same week.
Bonnie

Judy Harder

How sad. He was one of my honey's............always a twinkle in his eyes when he saw me and a little flirting would occur......I knew he was in the nursing home.........and have kept a soft spot in my heart ever since I knew him.
Rest in peace, Frank. This is going to be a sad week. and it keeps a coming.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Janet Harrington

I always got along with Frank. He was one of my favorite people at Longton. He lived a good life. God Bless his family.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk