Done with the Local paper...

Started by PrehistoricRez, September 02, 2011, 12:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrehistoricRez

Im done buying the local paper, why is it death notices and who doing what in moline can get in the paper in a timely manner within a couple days.  But Howard chamber meetings or school board meeting not until after the next meeting, sometimes 5 or 6 weeks later before it hits the paper.

sodbuster

Quote from: PrehistoricRez on September 02, 2011, 12:39:45 AM
Im done buying the local paper, why is it death notices and who doing what in moline can get in the paper in a timely manner within a couple days.  But Howard chamber meetings or school board meeting not until after the next meeting, sometimes 5 or 6 weeks later before it hits the paper.

Rudy since PhrehistoricRez is cancelling his subscription, I would like to start mine. It will be going to California where we could not possibly care what happens in Elk County. Any how much will it cost me to get the paper sent here to California?

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Patriot

Quote from: PrehistoricRez on September 02, 2011, 12:39:45 AM

In all fairness, Rez... Meeting minutes are not acceptable nor usually published until approved at the following regular meeting.  So a monthly meeting on the 1st of April will not have minutes approved until the 1st of May meeting and published a few days later.  Even with biased media outlets this would be the case.  It's probably not the fault of the paper.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Jane

We quit taking the paper also. There was just not enough information about Howard and that was the only thing we were interested in. It seemed it was more about Sedan that any other town.

Roma Jean Turner

David...the online version (in color), is 25.00 a year.  You can download it each Wed when it comes out.  I subscribe to that.  I believe it is 45.00 a year to have it mailed.

Janet Harrington

I use the online version. It is fantastic because the pictures are in color all the time. YEAH. I could see why the paper would be boring if your only interest was in Howard, but since I know lots and lots of people all over the county and in Sedan, I find it quite an interesting paper. Just like Facebook, I read the paper to learn about what people are doing and especially what the kids are doing. I have to adopt everyones kids because I wasn't able to have any of mine own and the paper is one way for me to see what is going on. I wouldn't give up the paper for anything.

Mom70x7

We also use the online version. It comes earlier, is much easier to read. I like being able to increase the size of the some of the articles, making them easier to read.

I also like the colors. I'm hooked.

There are some times I miss holding an actual paper in my hand, but I've also printed out sections of the online version to read or show people.

It's a bargaiN!

Wilma

OK, so I am an old fogy who refuses to get with the times.  I want my paper in my hands while I am at ease in a comfortable chair.  Something that I can put down and come back to and it is still the way I left it.  Something that I can just pick up and look up an article that was printed weeks ago.  Yes, I do still have 6 months worth of back issues.  The tiny print is hard to read, but by holding it really close under a bright light, I manage.

sodbuster

Quote from: Roma Jean Turner on September 02, 2011, 06:19:25 AM
David...the online version (in color), is 25.00 a year.  You can download it each Wed when it comes out.  I subscribe to that.  I believe it is 45.00 a year to have it mailed.
Roma, MoM., Janet thanks for the info about the online version, that sounds perfect for me.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Mom70x7

Oh - and I forgot the best news - you get it earlier than the printed edition! Most people get the printed paper Wednesday evening or Thursday. Online we get it Wednesday morning and sometimes Tuesday evening.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk