Survivors and casualties.

Started by srkruzich, August 28, 2011, 10:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

I survived the heat, thanks i think to my being raised in the south where its a wee  bit hotter there due to humidity.  I don't mind the heat if ya get a afternoon shower.  But I fortunately did not lose any critters except 16 chickens to a coyote pack.  :|  Need some more chickens soon. 
The other casualties of summer, my garden.  Okra is still alive but not putting on one darn pod or flower.  Gofigure.  Grasshoppers ate all the cabbage and broccoli, and rabbits ate my green beans.  Heat got my tomatos.

THe other casualty is my computer.  It has had it.   This heat has caused parts to start failing and i've been patching it up with bailing wire and duct tape so to speak.  Got it back up and running this morning, but am not holding my breath on if it will make it through the day.

The other casualty is i got absolutely nothing done in the last month and a half!  What a waste of time!  Too hot to do anything outside at all. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems, but that is one of the risks of being a survivalist, or maybe that's the wrong word. In Alaska they are subsistence natives but they live more on game and fish than gardens. One bad summer, the crop fails and food becomes scarce. You'll have to fight back and eat the rabbits and grasshoppers! Didn't you shoot the coyotes? How did they get to your chickens?

larryJ

I share your sentiments about computers.  Friday morning, my laptop totally froze.  None of the usual methods, i.e., rebooting, power off and on, slap upside the head had any effect.  It just quit.  It took two days off and on of working with the self repair that Windows provides to get it back.  I basically had to wipe the computer clean and start as if it were a new computer.  I lost all my information and finished up yesterday adding back the "favorites" such as this forum, etc. So the good news is the laptop is back up and running and I learned alot about computers.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 28, 2011, 10:31:38 AM
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems, but that is one of the risks of being a survivalist, or maybe that's the wrong word. In Alaska they are subsistence natives but they live more on game and fish than gardens. One bad summer, the crop fails and food becomes scarce. You'll have to fight back and eat the rabbits and grasshoppers! Didn't you shoot the coyotes? How did they get to your chickens?

The coyotes are picking them off around 5 am or so when the chickens start coming out.  Going to have to lay wait for them i guess. 
I'll get some more and lock em up for 2 months in the coop and whne they coyotes realize their food source is gone they'll go somewhere else

Can't eat rabbits now they aren't fit to eat.  You don't shoot a rabbit unless the month has a r in it

Diane Amberg

Wilma

Maybe you should just not shoot the rabbit, but eat it anyway.  Never heard that one.  That lets out May, June, July and August.  That is a long time to go without rabbit.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on August 28, 2011, 03:29:24 PM
Maybe you should just not shoot the rabbit, but eat it anyway.  Never heard that one.  That lets out May, June, July and August.  That is a long time to go without rabbit.

Rabbits carry a lot of disease and parasites and usually you wait til the cold hits and the weather kills off the sick ones. 
Personally  i wouldn't eat a wild rabbit these days.  Just too risky. 

But if they don't stay out of the green beans i'll shoot them anyway.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 28, 2011, 10:42:47 AM
So what's wrong with Augurst? ;D ;D ;D

????

I just did a check and no i didn't misspell August

Wilma

Aw, Steve, Diane was just pulling your string.

Judy Harder

When my family use to hunt rabbit, we never could until after the first snowfall........other wise you ran a good chance to get very, very sick.
Oh, but if you could wait..........it was worth it......Mom used to fry all the rabbit dad (Oh, back then and even about 20 years ago here) rabbits were all over the place. even had jack rabbits here around the Martin-Marietta quary..............brought home , crispy ! and made the best gravy out of the drippings.....Oh, I am sure this was done with lard and I don't care what the books say.......lard and bacon drippings were much tastier than then now.
I raised tame rabbit during the 80s and altho the meat was very good, did not compare to wild rabbit. Also wait till winter they have better fur to use for other things......guess I will go eat a thingy of yohurt......nothing to compare to this type of meat. Sigh!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk