Survivors and casualties.

Started by srkruzich, August 28, 2011, 10:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

I agree Judy.. tame rabbit is .well~~ tame tasting.. I love wild rabbet.. but Steve's right.. you don't hunt them in the months that don't have an R in it..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

I guess Steve didn't get my joke?.....Steve, you didn't use August at all. I just made it a month with an r by spelling it Augurst!  ::) ;D

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 28, 2011, 09:03:17 PM
I guess Steve didn't get my joke?.....Steve, you didn't use August at all. I just made it a month with an r by spelling it Augurst!  ::) ;D

Ohhh.  Ok i thought you were zinging my spelling again
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

jarhead

Teresa,
Grandma Mabel wouldn't eat a cotton tail until the 2nd snow of the year. She said the 1st snow killed off the bunnies with rabbit fever. I've heard your branch of the family tree were some rabbit killing fools back in the Busby days. Bet Jo has some stories about that.

Jo McDonald

Wild game was about all our family had for meat.  I loved it all and still do.  
After dusk - Fred and I would get in the car -- I would drive, he would sit on the fender and when the headlights would pick out a rabbit, the 22 bullet found it's target...One down, many to go.  We done that a lot --- but never ever until after the freeze.   We never killed any after February.  

We made rabbit sausage - stripped it off the bone, ground it with a little pork, it made very good sausage.
We also cut the back legs in strips, pounded them, rolled it in flour and fried it in bacon grease. YUMMMMMMM
We didn't waste any thing...always fried all of it, but when we had the strips -- guess we thought we had a more "fancy" cut of meat.  lol

I remember Donald and Gerald Parker were rabbit killin' fools.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Janet Harrington

Mama Jo, you know what would happen now if you were caught riding on the hood at night trying to shoot rabbits using the headlights? You would go to jail and they would take your guns. OMG. Life was so much simplier back then.

readyaimduck

They did what they had to do to survive back then.
Times are different and IMHO because of the scumback that take advandage of the rule of the county,

I know laws are passed, and yet they are passed for the 3 apples that spoiles the peck.

ready to shoot a bad apple!,
then going to bed, resting peacefully

srkruzich

I used to go round the area i was at and ride shotgun in the cab, during the day and shoot rabbits off the road.  Took turns with a buddy of mine, the rule was the one who missed the most shots dressed the rabbits.

Was funny too, i rarely had to dress rabbits and my buddy is a marine!

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Ross

Steve , I fell right in there with you on break downs.
Driving through the pasture where I'm helping put in barbed wire fence I hit a tire rim in tall grass with my pick up and broke my drive shaft and punctured my gas tank. My riding mower threw a bearing, my wife's air conditioning quit in her van.  My rear tire on my tractor went flat. My wife's vacuum cleaner quit. Oh, and here electric window on  her van broke a cable. All in a two week period. I just figure it's life's challenges and that keeps me out of real trouble.

My son accidentally pulled the coat rack off the wall today.

I am in no big hurry to fix any of it, except the tractor tire so I can finish the fence.

Stay cool Steve.

Jo McDonald

Yep~~~~~Life definitely was much simpler back then.  Everyone minded their own business - treated their fellow man with respect and most always offered a helping hand.
   It is sad that those traits have gone downhill - in fact, have ended up in the septic tank.

I still believe in this country -- if we take hold of our boot straps and pull ourselves back up, we will still have our great country.
It is going to take a long hard pull, but it can be done!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk