What happens when parents owe school districts money?

Started by Janet Harrington, August 24, 2011, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

Quoteadministrative salaries/benefits, extra-curricular activity funding and 'nice to have' goodies... Oh, and rib-eye steaks, staff cell phones and leather chairs.

That would be an excellent start. Now how to convice those that have it, that they don't need it!
read

Patriot

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 27, 2011, 11:28:46 AM
That would be an excellent start. Now how to convice those that have it, that they don't need it!
read

Convince?  As in convince the whining brat at the grocery store that it can't have the damned chocolate bar because mommy and daddy need to pay the rent and electric and are short on funds?  Convince?  How about trying to convince the taxpayers that they need to do without so the brats can have their chocolate bar. No, somebody needs to apply some tough love and just say no to some of the goodies.  Before the taxpayers start saying no for them.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

readyaimduck

To rescind the leather chairs, after they have been delivered?  Take away the chocloate bar, after you pay for it? 
Where is the credibility.  This is happening in my county as we speak.

Unfortunetly the horse is before the cart now. 

I agree about tough love!

(But don't say, "ok"....then take it away or give it to someone else!)
I am not so sure the focus of money well spent is not in the best interest of the kids/teachers.!

ready 

Diane Amberg

I'm not picking, but what goodies would that be? If the chairs weren't donated, the leather (real leather?) chairs are just a one time purchase, but very poorly timed.
The steak dinners I don't understand. Sponsors? Fund raisers? Donations?  PTA? Shouldn't be tax money, but still just a one time deal.
What else? Cut hot lunch to twice a week? No school trips? Do they bid out paper and classroom supplies? A state bid? Shorter school week with slightly longer days? Saves a lot on transportation costs. Bid out the bus service?  Fire the custodians and have the kids do the cleaning, especially in high school. Need repairs? Have the shop kids do them.

Patriot

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 27, 2011, 12:14:48 PM
To rescind the leather chairs, after they have been delivered?  Take away the chocloate bar, after you pay for it? 
Where is the credibility.  This is happening in my county as we speak.

I didn't say take it back.  I suggested saying no to future folly. Of course, they could sell the chairs, buy some lab gear, and let the board set their asses on lawn chairs that they bring from home..

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 27, 2011, 12:14:48 PM
I agree about tough love!

I am not so sure the focus of money well spent is not in the best interest of the kids/teachers.!

Well spent money must be in the best interests of the kids, for sure.  All such money should be 'well spent.'

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Quote from: Teresa on August 25, 2011, 10:55:02 PM

In this time of financial and political upheaval in our world.. we're going to be dealing with a lot of friends and family and people we know who are going to be having some hard times.. and be put into hurtful and embarrassing situations where maybe some of their bills will not be paid on time or at all.  None of us knows for sure if next week..next month or next year.. we might be in that same situation.
To even begin to insinuate that names will be posted on this forum.. is an area of invasion of privacy on individuals that I absolutely WILL NOT tolerate.  >:(
I don't care who you are... its not gonna happen on THIS forum.

I hope I have made myself clear on this.

Thank you! :)  A saying that fits perfectly that folks should MEMORIZE ....There but for the Grace of God go i. John Bradford (circa 1510–1555)
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 26, 2011, 07:02:21 PM
Perhaps the school board should shift the teacher's steaks budgets to the whatever is in need budget, and all the teachers bring raw hambuger for a bbq...That would save about $1000.

It is an appreciation, and yet an ackowledgemnt of a thank you, on a squeezed budget.

ready

Oh Wow a hamburger sounds good to me.  Better than a steak!  Haven't had one in couple months now.

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 27, 2011, 11:03:11 AM
I do stand corrected in that the School can raise their own levy with their own vote. 

Perhaps, doing away with unessary frivolities (I am not familiar with what is in the budget, so I have no right to point).  I am sure something can be cut without losing the educational value for the kids.  I have to do it at home, to pay bills....why can't they?

Lets seee, you got football, baseball, soccer, ect.... Band, extracurricular activities could be paid for by the parents instead of the taxpayer. THen lets go with 4 day school week and you cut out 1 day of fuel and pay for bus's,  could even cut back on pay for admin and staff for that day, the electric bill would save a nice bundle eliminating 1 day. ect ect ect... Lots of things to cut!

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 27, 2011, 11:28:46 AM
read

DEFUND it

srkruzich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk