What happens when parents owe school districts money?

Started by Janet Harrington, August 24, 2011, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

What happens now or what is the next step when schools have citizens who owe money for school lunches, for school books, for school fees, and these citizens do not pay these bills? What does a school do or what does the school board do?

For example...parents have not paid for school fees, school lunches, etc., for several years and the bill amounts to a couple or three thousand dollars. What does the school do next?

When several families do not pay these bills, then the school districts are really hurting.

Does the school board take the parents or individuals, (as the case may be), to small claims court? Does the school maybe try to garnish the wages of these parents in order to collect what is owed? Or does the school just shove it all under the rug and cut their losses?

Do we taxpayers now have to pay higher taxes because the school can't get these folks to pay up? (I'm not talking about a few hundred dollars, I am talking $3,000 owed by one family).

What happens now? Does anyone want to venture a guess on this one?

mtcookson

Searching through Kansas statutes right now but doing a quick search online gave me Indiana's law, which I'm sure will be similar to Kansas' as it is pretty simple. Basically, the school cannot deny anything to the child however the school can take any action by law to collect the unpaid fees from the parent(s), if they are ineligible for assistance, including reasonable attorney's fees, court costs, and the judgement award.

Janet Harrington

I knew that much. Children should never be denied anything from a school just because thier parents don't pay their bills. I am just wondering what a school will do to get their money collected from the parents. Apparently there are several thousands of dollars owed by parents who have sent their kids to Elk Valley schools, so I was just curious what people thought the school might do to collect this money.

Now, just so everyone won't jump down my throat about me stating this about the Elk Valley schools, I have not been told about West Elk, but as soon as I can find out if the same is true at West Elk, I will ask the same questions.

readyaimduck

Doesn't the School Board have an attorney retained for just these issues?
That way the child gets the education, the parents have to be accountable in court.
Unfortunetely the child is then labled!

ready to smack down a few parents

mtcookson

I'm actually having a heck of a time finding a Kansas law that covers that area. Waaaayyyyy too many statutes covering school stuff. :laugh:

Janet Harrington

@ ready, I think all school boards have attorneys that they can turn to, but will they in an attempt to collect what is owed to them?

The child will get the education whether the parents pay or not. It's just amazing to know (as I have learned) who owes money to the Elk Valley School District. However; I don't know if that info is public, so until I find out, the names will remain in my head.

readyaimduck

Quotebut will they in an attempt to collect what is owed to them?

The attorney has the obligation by law to at least try to obtain that money at the nod of the County.
Depends on wether they do is up to the Attorney, or the one pulling their stings.

Just talking from experience.   Unfortunately the kid that is getting the education will be ridiculed for a free ride, not by the other kids, yet from other parents to parents.

ready

readyaimduck

And as a side note, it would cost the taxpayers money to pay the attorney to go after the parents in a suit that got their own money back.

Can anyone spell irony?

jarhead

I was told by a parent of a child that they all got letters a couple weeks ago saying if your child is behind on lunch money they will not be served the hot meal the other kids get but will "be served an alternative  lunch and a carton of milk".
  Janet, it's surprising that you would know the names of the people that are behind on the lunches. Being nosey I asked who owed the 3 grand and was told it was talked about in executive session so therefore could not be repeated. Maybe a board member or their spouse has loose lips ? ;)

readyaimduck

an executive session is just that:   a talk in a closed door setting without outsiders, nor minutes with the parties involved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk