Jerry Lewis ousted as MDA telethon host

Started by Patriot, August 05, 2011, 11:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Jerry Lewis ousted as MDA telethon host
Los Angeles Times

After decades with the Muscular Dystrophy Assn., Jerry Lewis is dropped as the telethon's host and the group's national chairman. Fellow comedians decry the mysterious ouster.

For the first time in 45 years, Jerry Lewis will not be pleading for donations in front of a camera Labor Day weekend after he was abruptly dismissed as the host of the Muscular Dystrophy Assn.'s telethon, an event that drew attention to the childhood disease and in its heyday was an annual television highlight

Full Story: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-jerry-lewis-20110805,0,6785931.story

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Judy Harder

He announced his retirement earlier this year. I think he has done a superb love job for the MDA and shame shame, shame on the assn. NO, I don't know their reasoning, just don't care for what they did.

Jerry Lewis did say that he will answer questions for all after the telethon has been aired. He does not want the donations taken away from the patients.

I do not care if he stepped on someones toes. He is still my favorite male figure. No he is not perfect, no one is, but "He has come a long ways, Baby" and now, I will go read the article.

Still think he got the shaft.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

srkruzich

I don't know that he is healthy enough to go through that. That maybe is whatthey are thinking.  Seriously he's in bad shape.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Judy Harder

I agree Steve. I have watched him fail these last few years and it is breaking my heart.
I have admired and liked him, since he was with Dean Martin.
One day I want to read his life story. I am pretty sure it has not been an easy one.
I also think he is a VERY ATTRACTIVE GUY I do not care that he is 85. One of the nice
guys. Yes, I am a fan and always will have a kind thought about him.
God bless him.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Catwoman

I love the man dearly...But he has gotten rather acidic in his comments in the last few years.  I guess the comments he made about the other celebreties finally quashed it for him.  God bless him...Just because you've advanced in age doesn't mean you've advanced in wisdom.  Even as cynical and acidic as he sounded last year on the telethon, I would have liked to have seen him at least one more time...Once he passes on, that'll be an end to a different era.

flintauqua

I will miss him, just as I will miss Dick Clark when he finally decides to not co-host the New Years Eve broadcast.  But, something to think about, when a person has been doing something they love for so long it's hard to give it up.  What is Lewis supposed to do on Labor Day if he isn't hosting the Telethon.  What is Clark supposed to do on New Years if he isn't counting down the ball drop?
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Diane Amberg

Perhaps they will have a part but not host.

Judy Harder

I would think that jerry would not stop what he is doing with His Kids. don't care what the MDA says ...but I have a sneaky feeling his health will go out the door if he can't do anything at all.
All of us who have to retire before we are ready..........either adjust or give up. They are in the hands of God.
Here I am Lord, use me!

doobie

I'll miss Jerry as well.  He WAS the MDA telethon. Another one of the fixtures gone from TV that were around in the fifties and sixties.
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk