Schools using school buses as rolling billboards

Started by srkruzich, July 31, 2011, 12:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

<yawn>  ::)...

I am not sure, reading through my educational law books, that I can find anything that shows precedent for preventing a school from raising revenues by selling ad space on their buses.  Schools have been allowing companies such as Pepsi and Coke to put vending machines in their teachers' lounges, thus raising monies in that way, and that amounts to the same thing, just on a smaller scale.  I guess my opinion, on not wanting it there, is that there is already so much visual "trash" littering our spaces out there.  I get really tired of it.  I would lean toward being more of a purist, preferring to keep the only writing on a bus to that being the name of the school district.

Side thought:  Besides that, larger cities contract through private companies for their busing...I'm not sure a school system could prevent those private companies from selling ad space on the buses, even if they wanted to...

jerry wagner

Quote from: Catwoman on July 31, 2011, 03:35:50 PM
<yawn>  ::)...

I am not sure, reading through my educational law books, that I can find anything that shows precedent for preventing a school from raising revenues by selling ad space on their buses.  Schools have been allowing companies such as Pepsi and Coke to put vending machines in their teachers' lounges, thus raising monies in that way, and that amounts to the same thing, just on a smaller scale.  I guess my opinion, on not wanting it there, is that there is already so much visual "trash" littering our spaces out there.  I get really tired of it.  I would lean toward being more of a purist, preferring to keep the only writing on a bus to that being the name of the school district.

Side thought:  Besides that, larger cities contract through private companies for their busing...I'm not sure a school system could prevent those private companies from selling ad space on the buses, even if they wanted to...

Not really any different then public transit systems operated municipally or regionally, they all sell advertising space on their vehicles which lessens the burden on the riders and taxpayers.

Diane Amberg

Um, I don't know who owns your buses.The school district?
 Here most districts do indeed use private bus companies who contract with the districts to transport the children, as Cat said. Our city buses do have advertizements inside and out, and in many big cities  most kids go to school on the city buses, there are no "school" buses. If the bus route goes by the school, they ride the city bus.
  Sounds like a good capitalistic venture to me. ;) The kids are exposed to advertising everywhere else in their lives, so why not.? Competition is good for the capitalistic soul isn't it?
It's Just like the big companies that moved overseas so they could make things cheaper and increase the bottom line. Sad, but pure competitive capitalism. Too bad it's cost us many jobs. But the guys in the green eye shades rule.
Some of you here have said if you can't make money doing what by what you are doing, then do something else. Farmers used to sell space on their barns, maybe it's high time for the schools to make their own way sometimes rather than raise your taxes. If the kids can plow through the computer ads that are generated just for them, GAP on the bus is an easy leap.  Deep, deep thinking. I too get tired of the constant advertizing everywhere, but who then says No....The Gov't ?  ;D ;D ;D

Catwoman

Well, the gov't is saying no (at least in Missouri) to teachers "friending" students on Facebook.  I put the entire article on a separate thread from this...What a mess.

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on July 31, 2011, 02:15:45 PM
Most parents are hooked for providing the reams of paper needed at the school level, Steve.
If you sent me a list saying i had to provide copy paper for school to function i would tell them to kiss my ass.  Not the parents responsibility.  All a parent is responsible for is their child and nothing else.  Sorry but get the fiscal house in order before requesting more money..

QuoteCheck the supply lists provided at Wally World. 
I've read it. It would be a cold day in hell before i would send that many supplies to a school.  I would buy my child supplies and distribute them from my cabinet.  Apparantly there are some stupid adults in this world.

QuoteBut there again, you have a segment of the student population that going totally digital wouldn't work for (like children who can see large objects but are essentially legally blind).
ABSOLUTELY WRONG!  All computers have features for those who are blind. INCLUDING massively large text, voice, text to speech and visa versa, computers are quite efficient for the disabled! 

QuoteA "one size fits all" education isn't possible, given the large amount of diversity in learning styles present in today's student population.  That's called a cookie cutter approach to education...It's bad enough when you have teachers that try to shove kids into fitting into a cookie cutter approach.

Sounds like to me they already do that and have no intention of changing it.  Teaching to a test??  Isn't that a cookie cutter approach?
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on July 31, 2011, 04:16:03 PM
Well, the gov't is saying no (at least in Missouri) to teachers "friending" students on Facebook.  I put the entire article on a separate thread from this...What a mess.

Thats just common sense.  The same thing as teachers inviting students to their home in their offtime. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk