Smart Meters.........

Started by Teresa, July 25, 2011, 09:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Hate to say it... but I'm afraid it already isn't "America" anymore...been like that a while now. There is no "privacy" anymore. Between our credit card data, our internet use, our cable TV use, medical treatments, tax forms, etc. etc. it is completely out of hand. We are massively overexposed. We have failed at protecting our private information so we are no longer able to protect our money, property and liberties. The extent to which the people have become unknowing subjects are shocking!  Your computer spies on you, your car spies on you, your cellphone spies on you and now your damned  house can too... >:(
Does anyone know if our area has these smart meters? I'm going to find out..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

sodbuster

If this is about "Smart Meters" put in by your local utillity to monitor gas\electric. I have one word for you "run" don't let them in they are inaccurate. Just google PGE and Smart Meter to see how they work in Northern California.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

readyaimduck

WOW, if that is true, then I will say no.  I purposely leave lights on at 3 am, and cook at 2 pm.   
By my electric bill...I am solid in where I am at, but not my habits....I change my habits (oxymoron)  for a reason.

you see...
I am ready.

readyaimduck

Quotehow they work in Northern California.

I am not in California anymore....
People try to take advantage of us, because they think we are 'slow' and flat-headed!

Never trust things that are effecient without first checking yourself!
  off to bed with the lights on!

sodbuster

Quote from: readyaimduck on July 25, 2011, 09:12:44 PM
I am not in California anymore....
People try to take advantage of us, because they think we are 'slow' and flat-headed!

Never trust things that are effecient without first checking yourself!
  off to bed with the lights on!

Have you been drinking. That makes no sense. You should go to bed.

David

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Ross

Thanks for that post Teresa. When I was living up by Seattle they had started pushing the smart meters. They told us they would help the power company save us money by allowing them to control our power consumption during high power usage.
They would be able to turn off things like hot water heaters etc.

I opted out because I didn't think they need remote control of my life and if they wanted me to shut something down they could call me on the phone.

This is far more critical then they were telling people.

Thanks again.

larryJ

Here is my town, our old four dial electric meter has been changed out to the newer numerical meter for those meter readers who didn't finish grade school.  Handy for me too, cuz I always got confused about reading the dials backwards, and I did finish school.

A few years ago, SoCal Edison wanted to attach a box on my central A/C so that in peak times when there was a big demand on power they could shut the unit off for a period of no more than 30 minutes............by satellite............with a computer.

Now, having had recent problems with the unit, I had to have the motor replaced and all was well until one of the blades on the fan broke, prompting another call to the repairman.  He replaced the blade assembly and everything was good until he tried to start the unit.  It wouldn't go.  He and I were both scratching our heads.  It was in the late afternoon and not hot weather.  He finally disconnected the Edison box and we were good.  Motor running, fans turning, cool air in the house and a happy wife.  Can't get much better than that. 

At this point, the box is still disconnected and I am pretty sure Edison is not aware of that.  At least, until they show up at my front door saying there is a problem with the box.  Who's to say that they didn't remember to turn it back on after turning off one time?  Can the satellite tell if the box is disconnected?  Who knows...........I guess I will wait and see.  Til then, I am basking in cool air.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

srkruzich

Quote from: Teresa on July 25, 2011, 09:01:37 PM

Hate to say it... but I'm afraid it already isn't "America" anymore...been like that a while now. There is no "privacy" anymore. Between our credit card data, our internet use, our cable TV use, medical treatments, tax forms, etc. etc. it is completely out of hand. We are massively overexposed. We have failed at protecting our private information so we are no longer able to protect our money, property and liberties. The extent to which the people have become unknowing subjects are shocking!  Your computer spies on you, your car spies on you, your cellphone spies on you and now your damned  house can too... >:(
Does anyone know if our area has these smart meters? I'm going to find out..

Not yet. They are trying it out in lawrence right now as a beta site
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Didn't the USA Patriot act open that door too?  >:( Passive interception?

srkruzich

what your not being told is this.  The electric company built and developed a communications system that is delivered through the electric lines.  They piggyback the signals on the ac signals. Thats how those digital meters work, they can read your meter from the main office if it is enabled. ITs been that way for years.  BUT more recently the administration has called for smart appliances.  They are appliances like your fridge and water tank, ect that communicate back to the main office.  Now what your not being told is that manufacturers see this as a gold mine.   One of the big ideas is to put rfid readers in the refrigerators.  Those rfid readers can read all your groceries in the room.  :) Tally up what you got and send it off to whoever pays for the info.  So what happens is all these retailers can target you with ads based on your groceries you bought.  OH and in case you don't know, most groceries now have rfid on them.  You just can't see them. 

But that kind of info also leaves a big open door for the Government!  IF they know how much food you have, then they can come seize it if they determine you have more than  30 day supply.  There are laws in some places that prohibit the storage of food you know.  They call it hoarding and they will come take it from you and possibly jail you for it.  GOtta love the liberals for that one!

Another little dirty secret is that cable tv set-top boxes hve cams in them that can be controlled from the headend of the cable or satellite company.  Nice isn't it!  combine that with your refrigerator, they can tell what you eat when you watch a movie. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk