AN AWFUL TRAGEDY

Started by Janet Harrington, November 18, 2006, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

AN AWFUL TRAGEDY

U. G. Gordon, An Old citizen of Longton, Shot and Killed by William McGlasson.

Preliminary Trial July 15

Word was received in this city last Firday morning that Grant Gordon, an employe of Thayer's livery barn in Longton, had been shot and killed by William McGlasson and County Attorney Organ and Coroner Trowbridge left immediately for that city in the doctor's auto to investigate the affair.

The following is an account of how it happened as told by William McGlasson, an employe of the barn the man who did the shooting and who slept in the barn office.

He had been troubled by dogs and had procured a revolver to shoot them.  About 3:30 Friday morning he heard a noise at the open door of the office and asked, "Who's there?"  Receiving no reply, he was convinced the noise was made by a dog and grabbed the revolver and fired.  Gordon cried "Oh Bill!"  McGlasson jumped from the bed and took hold of Gordon, who was leaning against the door casing, and layed him down.  He then ran and notified several parties, including the doctor, of what he had done.  Gordon was dead when the parties arrived at the stable.

Gordon's body was placed on the office cot until the coroner arrived.

Dr. Trowbridge and County attorney Organ examined McGlasson and also took the statement of all who could throw any light on the affair, and concluded that there was not motive for the crime and that McGlasson had told the truth.  There had been no ill feeling between the parties that anyone knew of and all seemed convinced that it was a case of a man who was too ready with his gun.

The revolver was a thirty-eight, and the bullet struck just below the middle of the right breast, entering the liver and lodging in the spinal column.

The deceased had lived in Longton for many years, coming there in the late seventies, with his father's family.  His father for years run the Gordon House, the principal hotel of the town, and after his death a dozen or more years ago, Grant had charge of the hotel and run it for several years.  After quitting the hotel business he worked on the railroad until he was injured a few years ago, and since that time has worked at odd jobs.  For several months he has been employed in Thayer's livery barn as driver, and that morning had an early drive to make and had gone to the barn for a team.

The deceased leaves a widow and the two sons, one grown and the other about 16 years of age.  He was a good-natured, kind hearted man and all regret the terrible manner in which he lost his life, no one perhaps, more than the man who was responsible.

McGlasson has lived in Longton for about seventeen  years and is a man between 50 and 60 years of age.  He is rated as a quiet, lawabiding, harmless fellow, and has never had trouble with anyone.  H has been working at the barn for several years and had not been told of the drive Gordon was to have taken that morning.

A warrant was sworn out Saturday and McClasson was placed under arrest.  Sheriff Liggett went to Longton Sunday and brought McGlasson to Howard.  He is chraged with murder and it is possible that something may yet develop that the public is not aware of.  The preliminary will be held July 15 before Esquire Sharp in this city. McGlasson was taken to Longton yesterday where he will make an effort to procure bond.

Mom70x7

Where's the rest of the story ? ???

Janet Harrington

That's all there is of what I have.

genealogynut

In reference to the posting, Extractions from 1930 Howard Courant, under 20 years ago, this incident occurred in the summer of 1910.  The Coroner's inquest decided it was not felonious.

Mom70x7

Teresa

Jeese Janet.. leave us all sitting on the end of our seats, why don't you.. ::)
Write up a big juicy story like that and then leave out the ending.. ssiiggghhhhhhh  ::) ::)

((I just love it when I can chime in dig at her a little bit.. She just SOOOOOOOOO deserves iti!))

(((But really..I  hope everyone knows that I really do love this woman. She is one of my Ya Ya Sisterhood forever friends..so any and all that I say to her is totally in fun.......
)))
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Janet Harrington

Yeah.  Sure.  You old meany!!!   :P

Teresa

Meany??
I guess that is better than what you have called me before.. LOL
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk