First Kansas Colored Infantry Regiment

Started by W. Gray, July 21, 2011, 09:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

From the Kansas State Historical Society:

The First Kansas Colored Infantry Regiment, with the first recruits reporting in August 1862 at Fort Scott, was the first military unit recruited in the northern states for service in the Civil War. This unit was the first to have blacks see battle and the first to have blacks die in action.

The First Kansas Colored Infantry was mustered into the federal army on January 13, 1863. Authorization to recruit the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry did not come until January 26, 1863--thirteen days after the First Kansas was mustered in, and several months after the First Kansas was bloodied by hostile action.

Before being accepted into the federal Army, the First Kansas Colored Infantry saw action at Bates City, Missouri, in October 1862 against Confederate forces and suffered ten dead and twelve wounded before driving the Confederate forces off.

Having said that, Wikipedia states that the 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment, recruited from freed slaves, was the first Union Army regiment organized for the Civil War with African American soldiers.

Wikipedia also states the 1st Louisiana Native Guard (CSA) was a Confederate militia of "free persons of color" formed in 1861 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Thanks. I love your historical posts. I've learned a lot. It's common family knowledge that my great grandfather ,Col. Jacob Amberg didn't like Indians, but thought the black soldiers were really worthwhile ,well trained and fought well.  He was career union cavalry ( sorry Red) and quite a character..Feisty and loved a good debate...was married 5 times, to a couple of them more than once. My grandfather always said I was a cross between his father and Daddy's mother. :-[ ;D

Leonardcrl

Dammit Waldo  :laugh: I'm a Civil War buff & I've made a hobby of the Kansas Regiments.  Now you have irritated the itch again and I'll waste another weekend wandering around through my sources.  ;D
For purposes of illumination, for those who have no interest, but might be bored here are some links that may be interesting.

-=crl=-
San Antonio
Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

srkruzich

Quote from: W. Gray on July 21, 2011, 09:29:29 AM
From the Kansas State Historical Society:

The First Kansas Colored Infantry Regiment, with the first recruits reporting in August 1862 at Fort Scott, was the first military unit recruited in the northern states for service in the Civil War. This unit was the first to have blacks see battle and the first to have blacks die in action.

The First Kansas Colored Infantry was mustered into the federal army on January 13, 1863. Authorization to recruit the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry did not come until January 26, 1863--thirteen days after the First Kansas was mustered in, and several months after the First Kansas was bloodied by hostile action.

Before being accepted into the federal Army, the First Kansas Colored Infantry saw action at Bates City, Missouri, in October 1862 against Confederate forces and suffered ten dead and twelve wounded before driving the Confederate forces off.

Having said that, Wikipedia states that the 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment, recruited from freed slaves, was the first Union Army regiment organized for the Civil War with African American soldiers.

Wikipedia also states the 1st Louisiana Native Guard (CSA) was a Confederate militia of "free persons of color" formed in 1861 in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Uhmm  I don't think there was a all black regiment in the south.  around 100,000 blacks fought for the south alongside white soldiers.  Nathan Bedford Forrest had 44 that served along side of him.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Theres a member on here that knows the history of the SE kansas SCV camp.  Charlie i think is his name. 

doobie

srkruzich-the cemetary here in elk falls was started during the Civil War and the first persons interned there were a group of black Buffalo Soldiers.  I'm not sure of the number or names, but there are certainly several buried here.
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

srkruzich

Quote from: doobie on August 06, 2011, 07:24:05 AM
srkruzich-the cemetary here in elk falls was started during the Civil War and the first persons interned there were a group of black Buffalo Soldiers.  I'm not sure of the number or names, but there are certainly several buried here.

There was a agreement with the indians from this area to turn the area into a nother southern state.  Hence the SVC camp.  There were a lot of blacks in the confederate army.

I believe buffalo soldiers were union soldiers. Not confederates. 

doobie

You are correct sir--that was my mistake.  I had not had proper nutrition this morning before posting and it showed.
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

Diane Amberg

You all keep this up I'm gonna have to break out my 1911 books. I have the 10 volume set that was produced for the 50th anniversary.  They are 100 years old just now and are one, actually 10, of my most precious belongings.
It's The Photographic History of the Civil War. It's a first edition set that I've had for more than 60 years. It came to me from a Civil War surgeon.That in it's self is an interesting story.
Red stated that he/it thinks I'm "clueless." One of these days I'll print some of what's in one book in particular that will show him I'm  NOT the clueless one.. It has lots written by people who were there ,from both sides. It's pretty general and is full of "you know who's" photos. Not sure much of Kansas there but I'll look.  The Buffalo Soldiers were definitely Union. My great grandfather had great admiration for them.

srkruzich

Diane that may be a good book, but it really is seriously lacking.  Since it was published, and in the last 20 years, more and more documents have been found in attics and estates in the south that have been brought to light telling the story from the grunts point of view.  In it You will not find anything about fighting the north to protect teh institution of slavery, you will only find that they were defending their country from a invasion.  They were defending their homes from the slaughter the north brought on their families.  The northern armies were ordered to commit war crimes to demoralize the south, and not surprisingly you will not find a record of any southern brigade that went through any northern territory raping, plundering or burning the civilian population.  Yet that was the rule of engagement for the north!  SHerman was the most ruthless worthless son of a bitch that God ever created!  And his boss approved of his actions so that makes Lincoln as worthless and a son of a bitch!

You want to know why the southerners never forget?  Because just like the jews in ww2, and the survivors of 9/11 they do not want us to ever forget how even our own can bring such destruction down on another.   

I hear all the time about anderson SC being the worst prison.  It was bad, but you can't blame the southerners. They fed those prisoners out of their own rations.  The north was supposed to supply rations for their men while in POW but they never did.  Anderson did the best they could with what they had and it wasn't much of anything either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk