Kansas is Second

Started by W. Gray, July 20, 2011, 05:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Wikipedia says that Kansas has the second largest state highway system in the country after California.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sodbuster

Waldo, I find that very interesting. I would have bet on Texas being second or first. I have to chalk this up to things that make you go huh?

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Wilma

How do they explain that?

sodbuster

States with Most Interstate Mileage
States Number Miles Texas 17 routes 3,233.45 miles California 25 routes 2,455.74 miles Illinois 23 routes 2,169.53 miles Pennsylvania 22 routes 1,759.34 miles Ohio 21 routes 1,572.35 miles

Read more: Interstate Highway System Trivia — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/spot/interstate-trivia.html#ixzz1ShA2n9Lv

David

p.s. Thinking about this, I just posted Interstate, Waldo said highway, not interstate. Waldo may still be correct. I am still going huh?

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

W. Gray

Wikipedia provides this explanation:

"This is because of the high number of counties and county seats (105) and the intertwining of them all."

No other information is provided
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

I believe you will find it has to do with the actual funding designations of the specific road.  Highways fall into one of four categories:  

Interstate - I 35

Federal - US 160

State - K 99

County - Cowley 4

I'm not sure which category Kansas is second in, but my guess is they are just counting "State" highways and not anything else.  Texas has many more miles of Interstate and Federal highways.  They aslo have an extensive Farm (or Ranch) to Market road system, which would fall under "County".  By having so many routes covered at the Federal and County levels, I could see where the State system could be smaller than Kansas'
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

sodbuster

According to national transportation statistics (Table HM-10), as of 2004, Texas had 303,176 miles of public roads, more than any other U.S. state. California (169,793) came in a not-so-close second, Illinois (138,626) was third, and Kansas (135,017) was fourth.

—The Editors

Read more: Which state has the most roads? — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/state-most-roads.html#ixzz1ShF0zWOX

David

Now I think I am on both sides of the Wikepedia statement. Still saying huh? Waldo could you give us a link or do I have to think about this all night long. ;D ???

David

I

sodbuster

OK found the Wikipedia quote, unfotunately no footnote provided for the statement. (Under Transportation heading) Still going huh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas

David

W. Gray

It is an interesting statement to say the least.

farmgal67357

Quote from: W. Gray on July 20, 2011, 08:05:37 PM
It is an interesting statement to say the least.
Very true! But I am afraid that David may have insomnia now! :laugh:
Lisa
I visited Fall River the other day, just because....
Lisa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk