Question

Started by Warph, July 11, 2011, 07:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

My first taste of coffee was sitting on my Great Uncle Rex's lap in Howard, Kansas, and sipping from his cup which was full of cream and sugar. Us little girls thought we were really something because Uncle Rex would let us do that.

However; I really started drinking coffee back in 1980 when I was a midnight dispatcher for the Sedan Police Department. I learned to drink coffee then, black and strong, because the officers wanted fresh coffee and we used to have a truck driver or two stop in and drink a cup on the way through town. I still drink coffee now, but mostly at breakfast. If I drink it during the day, it is with hazelnut creamer. I will also drink iced coffee if I can put hazelnut flavoring or creamer in it. Yep, I love getting old. LOL

Judy Harder

Yep, I love getting old. LOL

Beats the alternative.............LOL

Do you remember when coffee came with saucers? I had an aunt and uncle that would pour (from their cups) some coffee in the saucer, blow on it, and then "SLURP!" I thought that was so good.
I tried it at home, and mom had a cow (ok, it was a calf) about me dribbling coffee on table cloth...Oh, remember using a clean cloth each day?
I am on my first cup of hot coffee this morning, and will have at least 2 more before I stop today......Need to do some chores, can't sit here all morning.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

larryJ

Okay, okay-------------you talked me into the third cup this morning.  Granddaughter #1 spent the night last night and granddaughter #2 came about an hour ago and is eating breakfast as we watch cartoons.  Whoops! I mean, she is watching cartoons, I am typing on the forum. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

I do have some antique cups with larger than usual, deeper saucers and that's what they told me those saucers were for. I think I do remember my great grandmother  (Mom's grandmother) doing that once when we were visiting .I'm a little cloudy on that though. I don't remember anyone else doing it, but I know that  it was common..

Wilma

You guys have made me have a third half cup of coffee.  I never do that before 5:00.  That makes 2 1/2 cups for me today. 

Judy Harder

Diane, I think the saucer was a must when coffee was percolated on a stove.............was hot as helllllllll! and you dare not sip it or you would fry your tongue and anything else it touched.

My coffee maker broke last month and I got out the percolator we used to use when we went camping........as long as I use filters, (I still hate grounds, with my coffee) it makes a pretty good cup of joe...........and not quite able to stand a fork up, but it sure is good.

I am in no hurry to replace it. Find when I make a full pot, I can put part of it in a pitcher and keep it in ice box and save money and still have hot coffee tomorrow. Got to save money somehow. I think I will have an iced coffee right now. Found a bit of lemon in it is very refreshing......yummy, too.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Diane Amberg

One of my jobs when I tall enough to reach and old enough to measure was to make the coffee for my parents for supper. It was the perk kind also with a basket and they always had Maxwell House. Daddy drank it strong and black and Mom had two sugars and a blurp of real cream that I had skimmed from the top of the bottle. Later they had an electric percolator.

Janet Harrington

I think that Mother and Daddy always drank Folgers. I don't remember any other kind. It's funny, but I don't remember my Grandmother Furrow drinking coffee. Grandma Hancock finally went to instant coffee using Folger's crystals. At work, I drink whatever is the cheapest that we can buy at Walmart. LOL At home in Howard, (if we make coffee) we drink Folger's.

Wilma

Folgers got too expensive for my pocket so I tried Kroger's Colombia Blend.  I make it with a sprinkle of salt on top of the grounds.  Not as bitter as Folgers and saves a few bucks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk