Where Do You All Go To See A Movie?

Started by farmgal67357, July 07, 2011, 06:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmgal67357

Quote from: sixdogsmom on July 08, 2011, 06:39:08 PM
I do like the theater in Independence; first run movies, reasonable price. Been a while though.  :'( My very favorite place to see a movie is right here in my own living room!
Netflix is WONDERFUL! Especially if you watch a lot of movies. I don't go out much if it is too hot or too cold (the Fibromyalgia broke my internal themometer) and being able to just veg and watch a movie is a Godsend to me. I also love TCM.
Lisa
Lisa

sixdogsmom

TCM is just like being allowed to roam the local candy store I remember when I was a kid. I get to see all the films I want for FREE!!!  :D :D :D
Edie

Diane Amberg

I enjoyed the old cowboy flicks last night.

Catwoman

I love TCM!!  ;)  But then, I love anything that has the old 50's level of modesty, morals and values...I think I was born in the wrong age...lol

readyaimduck

Since the thread was 'where do you all go to see a movie'....I personall tend to stay away from the big screen, 'new and improved Cinemax' which depicts vulgar language, sexual enuendos, violence and 'all about me' types of flicks that kids seems to like nowadays.
Instead of the lost days of the Howard Theatre, there is Independence movies, and a drive-in I think within 1 hour north east?
Otherwise, I watch DVD's of my choice and Hulu on the computer.   
I can eat popcorn. pause and go pee, then resume and if I fall asleep, can watch again.

I am afraid the genre of classic movies are fading into the sunset like.... (insert favorite western).

Welcome to Howard, no man's land afar from the basic city life...and we like it like that.
ready (and I don't live in Howard, however in this area)

Catwoman

What a description of a place I lived in for a long period of time... :o...And the bathroom report might have been a TMI moment... :o...

Anyway, Lisa...You have many options in the surrounding areas, whether you choose to brave the theatre down in Sedan (shows first run movies, with the local entertainment being provided-local kids running up and down the aisles with little supervision, unless things have changed considerably since I was there 5 years ago...) or go to Independence (the theatre is nice but the concessions are high priced) or go down to B-ville (average on both the theatre and the concession prices) or go to Wichita (a bit pricey on both the ticket price and the concessions, both).  It just depends upon what it is you are looking for and how long it is you are willing to drive to get there.  I used to combine a matinee movie in the afternoon with going out to eat and doing grocery shopping (these were pre-Julie days) in the evening...Made for a fun day.  ;)

farmgal67357

Quote from: readyaimduck on July 09, 2011, 02:30:21 PM
Since the thread was 'where do you all go to see a movie'....I personall tend to stay away from the big screen, 'new and improved Cinemax' which depicts vulgar language, sexual enuendos, violence and 'all about me' types of flicks that kids seems to like nowadays.
Instead of the lost days of the Howard Theatre, there is Independence movies, and a drive-in I think within 1 hour north east?
Otherwise, I watch DVD's of my choice and Hulu on the computer.   
I can eat popcorn. pause and go pee, then resume and if I fall asleep, can watch again.

I am afraid the genre of classic movies are fading into the sunset like.... (insert favorite western).

Welcome to Howard, no man's land afar from the basic city life...and we like it like that.
ready (and I don't live in Howard, however in this area)

El Dorado just re-opened the Star Vu Drive In. We had one in Parsons when I was growing up, but it closed in the mid 80's. I watch a lot of movies on my computer via Netflix. It comes in real handy if I am having trouble sleeping.

Thanks for the welcome! Lisa
Lisa

sodbuster

It was mentioned here about the good old days when the Howard theatre existed. It was mentioned about how sexual situations etc were more prevalent now. One of the funniest stories in my family is when Babe let me and my little brother into the Howard movie theatre to see Lolly Madona and Slaughterhouse Five. My mom couldn't believe it because Babe would not have let her in to the same movie in her day.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Diane Amberg

Because you were boys? Ya know how overly sensitive and emotional we girls are. HA!

indygal

Lisa, if I'm not mistaken, the Towne East mall in Wichita (at Rock and Kellogg) has a theater, but more importantly, there is a wonderful Chinese restaurant just to its west called Asian Super Buffet. I know they serve sushi, though I didn't try any. The restaurant is clean and attractive and the food is good quality. Plus, there's a Target across the street on Armour.

There also is a good buffet on East Harry near Hillside called Shanghai. Good food there too, and there's a Big Lots store close by. No movie theaters in that particular neighborhood, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk