In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

Started by Judy Harder, July 05, 2011, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

September 24/25
Satan's Strategy
Luke 22:31-34, 54-62

All of us make tracks through the valley of failure. The question is, How are you going to respond? Plenty of people give up and exchange a vibrant kingdom-serving life for a defeated existence. But failure need not be an end. It's a chance for a new beginning living in Christ's strength.

Peter had a life-altering failure. Jesus warned that Satan had asked permission to "sift" the disciple like wheat (Luke 22:31)—vigorous shaking is required to separate wheat kernels from debris. The Enemy wanted to shake Peter's faith hard in hopes that he'd fall away from Jesus like chaff.

Peter fervently believed the promise he'd made to Jesus: "Even though all may fall away, yet I will not" (Mark 14:29). But Satan knows a few things about the power of fear. What's more, he realized that the disciple would be wounded by his own disloyalty. A man with tattered pride can't help but question his usefulness.

When Satan sifts believers, his goal is to damage our faith so much that we're useless to God. He wants us shelved far from the action of the Lord's kingdom. Therefore, he goes for our strengths—the areas where we believe ourselves to be invincible, or at least very well protected. And when the Devil succeeds, we are disappointed and demoralized. But we don't have to stay that way.

If we are willing, God can use failure to do spiritual housecleaning. Peter laid down his pride and instead put on the Holy Spirit's courage. Thereafter, he risked humiliation, persecution, and death to proclaim the gospel. Failure was the catalyst that brought forth greater faith and true servanthood.

Extra column

On the Enemy

"The Devil often transforms himself into an angel to tempt men, some for their instruction, some for their ruin."
—Augustine of Hippo

"The deceit, the lie of the Devil consists of this, that he wishes to make man believe that he can live without God's Word."
—Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The existence of the Devil is so clearly taught in the Bible that to doubt it is to doubt the Bible itself."
—Archibald G. Brown

"The Devil can counterfeit all the saving operations and graces of the Spirit of God."
—Jonathan Edwards

"The Enemy will not see you vanish into God's company without an effort to reclaim you."
—C. S. Lewis

"For where God built a church, there the Devil would also build a chapel."
—Martin Luther

"That there is a Devil is a thing doubted by none but such as are under the influences of the Devil."
—Cotton Mather

"The more God uses us, the more Satan will attempt to harass us."
—Dr. Charles F. Stanley

"The Devil is a better theologian than any of us and is a devil still."
—A. W. Tozer

"The Devil does not tempt unbelievers and sinners who are already his own."
—Thomas à Kempis 

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 26

Are You a Threat to Satan?
1 Peter 1:6-7

On two separate occasions, the Bible records that Satan petitioned the Lord to test a believer (Job 1:6-12; Luke 22:31-34). In both cases, God agreed. The Devil did his best to break the faith of first Job and later Peter, but he failed both times.

Do you suppose that Christ and Satan have ever discussed you? I think most people are too humble to assume such a conversation has happened. So let me ask the question a different way: Is your life making an impact worth talking about? I had to ask this of myself—am I serving God sufficiently to make Satan feel threatened?

Preachers and missionaries aren't the only people who make the Enemy nervous. Any believer who is determined to obey the Lord is a threat to the Devil, particularly when sharing the gospel. God calls on you to witness to certain people because you have just the right knowledge, story, or temperament to reach them. Fearing that the unbeliever might choose salvation because of your testimony, Satan gives you plenty of opportunities to fail. He hopes you'll be too discouraged to continue serving the Lord. The Enemy would like nothing better than to thwart God's plan for believers' lives by undermining their faith. That being the case, we might all be surprised how often our names pass between Jesus and Satan!

Although you may think you aren't important, God knows your true value. Friend, as a Spirit-filled believer, you have amazing potential to serve the kingdom. Satan sees that, and he will try to make you stumble.

If you fall, lean on the Lord as you get to your feet and carry on. 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 26

When We Act Deceptively

2 Samuel 11:1-27

From his youth, King David was a committed follower of God. Yet there was a time when this devoted believer gave in to temptation and committed adultery with Uriah's wife. His walk of integrity was severely compromised.

Ethical and moral failings have beset Christians throughout the ages. When a believer decides to do whatever it takes to obtain something he wants, then selfishness or greed is the root cause. At other times the desire for acceptance can tempt us to manipulate people and circumstances—or fabricate lies in order to seem more desirable. And fear of conflict can result in compromised standards; many people try to fit in so they can avoid arguments.

At first, even those close to us may not notice our deception. But God sees. He will use our conscience to produce guilty feelings so we might confess our sin and turn from it. Self-protection will take over if we continue in unrighteousness—we will try to quiet our conscience by justifying the behavior. Over time, we will draw away from certain people so they won't discover our ungodly behavior. By keeping them at a distance, we hope to avoid their scrutiny. Habitual sin may result in lost job opportunities, damaged friendships, and broken families.

When confronted by Nathan, David recognized his sin, acknowledged it, and received forgiveness (2 Sam. 12:13). How do you respond when the Holy Spirit convicts you of ungodliness? Do you see the reality of your behavior and repent? Or do you try to justify and persist in your conduct?

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 28

Simple Acts of Obedience

Luke 5:1-7

Obeying God in small matters can bring blessing to many. Today's passage illustrates this principle.

Simon Peter, a fisherman by trade, had worked hard the entire night without catching anything. He was on the shore finishing his work when Jesus approached him. The Lord wanted to speak from the boat to the crowd onshore. Despite a long, fruitless night of work, Peter agreed to take Jesus in the vessel. The crowd was blessed by seeing and hearing Christ preach.

God's requests can come to us at inopportune or unexpected moments. We may be tempted to let someone else respond to His call, thinking it will not matter who is the one to comply. But remember, His plans are designed for our benefit (Jer. 29:11).

Later Jesus made a second request to Peter—to move the boat into deeper water and let down the nets. The fisherman commented about the unlikelihood of catching anything but nevertheless did as Christ asked. Peter's cooperation resulted in an abundance for the crowd, the other fishermen, their families, and himself.

Peter didn't obey in order to be rewarded, yet that is precisely what happened. His simple acts of obedience led to greater opportunities for service and occasions for abundant blessing.

Some of us act as if obedience in the little things is unimportant. Peter's story teaches us the opposite. Let's commit to carrying out the Lord's instructions in small matters as well as large ones, trusting that He will bring good from all obedience. Following God is always the right choice to make.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 29

The Value of Obedience

Proverbs 2:1-6

Despite Peter's vast fishing experience, he returned from a night's work with nothing to show for his efforts. It's quite possible that the Lord's request to let the nets down one more time struck him as unreasonable—after all, Peter and his partners were the professionals. Nevertheless, the fisherman complied, and his obedience blessed many.

Scripture demonstrates that divine plans often defy human logic. For instance, who would design a battle  strategy that involved only marching and shouting? God told Joshua to conquer Jericho that way, and doing so proved successful (Josh. 6:1-5).

Moses is another example. When he felt unsure about his leadership potential, the Lord gave reassurance in an unusual way—by telling him to throw down his walking stick. When Moses obeyed, God powerfully confirmed His choice of leader (Ex. 4:1-3).

Our Father may ask us to do something that seems illogical—perhaps to accept more responsibility when we were hoping to reduce our workload, to leave a position that He provided just recently, or to take on an assignment for which we feel ill-equipped. His plan might feel unrealistic in view of our age, stage of life, or health concerns. We must press forward in obedience, regardless of how impractical the request may appear.

To grasp the importance of obeying, think about children receiving instructions from parents or teachers. Careful listening is needed for the task to be done safely and properly. Some steps may seem pointless, but the rationale often becomes clear later. Always make obeying God your priority.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 30

No Condemnation in Christ

Mark 16:5-7

Peter was devastated when he realized he'd denied Christ not once but three times, as Jesus had foretold (Luke 22:61-62). This was the man who just hours earlier had bravely vowed to die for his Lord (v. 33). I doubt he ever forgot the horror of such utter failure. He probably spent the next few days suffocating under a weight of guilt.

Maybe you know exactly how heavy that burden feels. The weight of your sin goes everywhere with you, dragging your heart into a pit of despair. God's disfavor seems to bear down on you. In a word, you feel condemned. However, for all who have trusted in Jesus' atoning death on their behalf, the feeling of condemnation is just that—a feeling. It isn't the truth.

The truth is that believers are not condemned for iniquity, no matter how terrible or habitual their transgression may be (Rom. 8:1). Condemnation is reserved for the unbeliever who is declared guilty of sin and punished (John 3:36). We may judge ourselves harshly because our actions and motives fall short of a holy standard. But God sees only the righteousness of Christ, which clothes us the moment we say yes to His sacrifice on our behalf. No one can do enough good to merit his own salvation. Jesus alone removes the believer's sin and "guilty" verdict.

God understands our heart's burdens—even self-inflicted ones. That is why the Lord sent Peter a message to let him know that he was not condemned, and the Messiah who loved him was waiting in Galilee. All believers should personalize the truth that there is no condemnation in Christ.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 1/2
From Ordinary to Great
ACTS 4:13   

Anyone who studies God's ways soon realizes they are quite different from man's. Worldly wisdom says that extraordinary people and abundant resources are needed for great tasks, yet the Lord often chooses the small and insignificant to achieve His purposes on earth.

For example, Christ selected a rather unimpressive group of men as disciples, yet after being filled with the Spirit, they "turned the world upside down." During His ministry on earth, Jesus fed thousands with a child's meager lunch, and He viewed the widow's two small coins as a greater offering than all the other generous donations (John 6:5-12; Luke 21:2-3).

God specializes in using people who aren't naturally qualified to accomplish His tasks. Moses was a verbally impaired 80-year-old shepherd who liberated a nation. After Gideon hid from the enemy, God made him a valiant warrior. David was the overlooked youngest son who killed a giant with a small stone and became Israel's greatest king.

God isn't looking for impressive people; He wants willing ones who will bow the knee in humble submission. Being weak and ordinary doesn't make you useless. Rather, it positions you for a demonstration of divine power in your life. He takes insignificant ones and delights in making them great.

Have you ever considered that your lack of ability, talent, or skill is the ideal setting for a great display of Christ's power and glory? If you are willing to submit to His leading and venture into the scary yet rewarding territory of faith and obedience, He will do great things in and through you.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 3
Walking by Faith
Colossians 2:5-7

Christians generally associate faith with their salvation experience, and rightly so. By believing in Christ, we enter into a relationship with Him. But that's not the end—afterwards comes a lifetime of walking with Him.

Since the word walk is used to describe behavior and conduct, we may mistakenly conclude that after salvation, the Christian life is all about performance. But today's verses clearly state that we walk with Christ in the same way we received Him—by faith. This means we place our trust in Him for every circumstance of life. To help us under-stand this, Paul uses some phrases which describe how confidence in God grows:

"Having been firmly rooted"—At the moment of salvation, believers are "planted" in Christ. Our roots grow deep as we anchor ourselves in the Lord, drawing our spiritual nourishment from Him.

"Being built up in Him"—The believer's life is built on the foundation of the Savior through obedience. God wants us to choose precious and valuable building materials that will last into eternity (1 Cor. 3:10-15).

"Established in your faith"—In time, as we begin to understand more about the Lord and how He operates, our trust in Him increases, and we experience stability even in the winds of adversity.

In our goal-oriented society, it's easy to forget that walking in Christ is a process. While on earth, we never "arrive" but are slowly transformed along the way. As we trust the Lord, our hearts will overflow with gratitude for all His blessings and the stability He offers in every circumstance.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 4

Answered Prayer

John 16:23-24

During the final days of His earthly ministry, Christ spoke to the disciples about the power of making requests in His name—and the guarantee that God will answer such prayers.

Yesterday we learned that in order to pray in Christ's name, we must be rightly related to God through faith in Jesus. Because of the Son, we have access to the Father, the right to approach Him with confidence, and the authority to present our petitions to Him.

By using the words in Jesus' name in prayer, we're also making a commitment to seek God's will. Christ withdrew from the crowds frequently so He could commune with and obey His Father (John 5:19). In a similar way, God has a plan for each of us, which He reveals through His Word; when we know what the Bible says, we can shape our prayers according to its truth. In addition, God has also given us the Holy Spirit to guide us into understanding of Scripture (John 16:13).

Finally, our petitions are to reflect our dependence on God. In our self-reliant culture, we tend not to talk to the Lord about things we have under control or think we can handle ourselves. But we are instructed to seek His guidance in all areas (Phil. 4:6) and acknowledge our need of Him.

Our petitions don't have to be complicated, nor do our words need to be eloquent. What matters is that we have the right to pray in Jesus' name and that what we ask is in accordance with His will. Then His power will be released, and we can be assured of answered prayer.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 5

God Works Within Us

Ephesians 3:20-21

Let these words slowly sink into your understanding: "able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think" (v. 20). What an amazing description of God's ability to work within us.

Yet so often our focus is mainly on what we want Him to do around us: If He would change this situation or fix that problem, then my life would be better. But He invites us to think and ask bigger—He wants to change us!

The Holy Spirit has more than enough power to transform lives from the inside out, but working change within is usually a slow process. Spiritual fruit takes time to grow and mature. That's why we need patience and faith to believe He is working even when we don't see the results right away. God is never in a hurry and will never give up on us.

The Lord has a purpose for your life, and He is constantly working to achieve it. Although He has an individualized plan for each one of His children, He also has an overarching goal—to conform every believer to the image of His Son Jesus Christ. In order to accomplish this, He may have to bring us through some struggles and heartaches. It might make no sense to us, but God knows exactly what He's doing.

What would you like to see the Lord do within you? As you read the Scriptures, look for qualities that God considers precious, and ask Him to work them out in your life. Then rely on His wonderful promise to do even more than you have asked or imagined.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk