In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

Started by Judy Harder, July 05, 2011, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

November 10

When God Looks on Us with Favor

Isaiah 66:1-2

Believers are always under the canopy of God's grace and love. Nothing we do can change that. At the same time, our behavior and heart condition do determine whether we receive the fullness of His blessings. Today's passage teaches us how to experience the Father's favor.

First, He desires that we have a contrite heart and a humble spirit (Ps. 51:17). For that to be the case, all aspects of our lives must be surrendered to Jesus. Yet some dreams, desires, and people are difficult to release into His hands.

Anything we do not give over to His authority is evidence of pride, the exact opposite of what our Father wants in His children. Remember that "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6). Lack of submission proves that we think our way is better than His plan.

Second, God tells us to tremble at His Word (Isa. 66:2). Scripture—the unfolding revelation of Jesus Himself—is living and powerful to teach and transform us. Consider how we treat this treasure. Do we devote time each day to know what the Bible says and how to apply its principles? Do we hunger for more of the Word in our lives so we can know its Author better? One measure of our reverence is obedience: to honor the Lord, we must obey Him.

We all desire God's favor. Are you living in a manner that positions you to receive His full blessings? Prayerfully consider whether you have submitted all areas of your life—from finances and health to relationships and work habits—to Jesus Christ. Recognize His authority in all things, and revere His Word.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 11

The Love of God

1 John 4:7-21

Most Christians agree that God loves them. We hear catch phrases about this in the church today, and believers often recite Bible verses on this topic. Yet do we really grasp what it means to be cared for in this way by the Creator of the universe?

Let's explore three aspects of God's love. First, it is uninfluenced by anything within or around us. We know that even while we were still living in sin, Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8); there is simply no greater sacrifice. Nothing we do can hinder God's love for us—and coming to that realization should lift a burden off your shoulders.

Second, divine love is eternal. Believers will never be separated from it. In fact, Ephesians 1:4 tells us that the Father chose us before the foundation of the world. We know, therefore, that His care for us has always been a fact—and always will be.

Third, we know that God's love is part of His character (1 John 4:8) and directed toward all people (Matt. 5:45). Yet believers experience it differently from those who do not follow Jesus. Consider what would happen if a patio umbrella shielded part of a garden. When it rains, some flowers might be surrounded by water without actually getting wet. Similarly, a person who doesn't have a relationship with God isn't impacted by His love, though it exists and is available.

We can trust the One who loves us intensely and completely. Jesus proved this by dying in our place to spare us the consequences of our sin. He promises to stay with us always and redirects us when we stray. Though we do not always feel His love, it surrounds and protects us forever.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 12/13

Enduring Satanic Attacks

Ephesians 6:10-14

Every believer faces temptation. Take a moment to recall a particularly enticing situation involving something that would displease God. Did you realize you were involved in a satanic battle?

The Devil is real. Scripture reveals that he leads an army of fallen angels and is prideful enough to think he can gain victory over God. By definition, a satanic attack is a deliberate assault upon an individual, which is designed to cause spiritual, physical, material, or emotional harm. Satan desires to thwart the Lord's purpose in believers' lives, to rob them of joy and peace, and ultimately to deny God the worship He receives through yielded followers.

As in any war, knowing the enemy's plan helps us prepare for the attack. First, be aware that the battlefield takes place in our minds. To walk in a godly manner with Christ, we must first be sure that our thoughts are in submission to His Spirit. This takes daily surrender and time in God's Word. Second, Satan tempts us during vulnerable moments. Be cautious when you are hungry, angry, lonely, or tired (This is often known as the H.A.L.T.  warning). Third, he is deceptive; we won't recognize the trap as an evil scheme. Instead, it will seem good, and we'll likely wrestle with some sort of doubt.

As Christians, we should walk closely with Jesus. Satan desires to lure us into destructive actions that rob us of God's plan for a good, full life. Stay connected to the Savior: read the Word, pray, and fellowship with other believers. These are weapons we use against the Devil in spiritual war.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 14

Standing Firm with Jesus

John 10:7-10

In our daily routine, it is easy to live with a worldly mindset. When our thoughts turn away from God, we can become dangerously self-dependent. In such situations, there is a spiritual battle ensuing, with high stakes. Victory demands more than floating through each day. This war requires our alert and purposeful reliance upon Christ.

First Peter 5:8 warns us, "Be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." The Enemy knows our nature and weaknesses. He whispers doubt and deception in order to accomplish his goal.

We know that the ultimate victory is God's, but Satan's traps still lead many astray. How can we avoid giving in to the temptation that leads away from God's best for our lives and causes devastation?

Jesus was tempted during His 40-day fast in the wilderness. Consider how He stood firm against the Enemy: He stayed connected to His Father and submitted to God's will. We can likewise surrender daily to the Father's way, dying to our own desires and plans. And notice that when our Lord encountered a temptation, He resisted Satan with Scripture. The best weapon for fighting falsehood is truth. And we can emulate Jesus, who knew He had authority over Satan and commanded him to flee.

Don't let the world lull you into managing life on your own. There's a battle raging, and you have an enemy whose goal is to take your eyes off Christ, to destroy your life, and to steal glory from God. Our King has the victory, but we must remain alert and connected to His truth.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 15

Perspective for Challenging Times

Ephesians 3:19-21

There are many ways we can fail to reach the goals that the Lord has for us. Today, I would like to focus on how our perspective can impede fulfilling His best for our lives.

For one thing, our thought process during times of difficulty can be detrimental to our success. In the midst of adversity, it is easy for our trust to flounder and for our eyes to drift from Jesus to the problem. Once our focus shifts away from God, the problem becomes magnified. Negative thinking can overwhelm faith and extinguish courage. Then we may be tempted to quit, which obviously thwarts God's plan for our good.

What's more, we tend to see the obstacle in terms of our own strength and resources rather than God's. The apostle Paul clearly understood this, because he said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13). The Lord's ability and love are unlimited. Everything that we need, He will provide.

Too often, we miss God's best because we view the obstacle as a problem instead of an opportunity. Realize that roadblocks are a way for the Lord to demonstrate His awesome power and grow our faith.

What happens when our focus shifts to a godly perspective on difficulties? Gloom turns to gladness, and we experience joy.

When God gave Joshua instructions, He revealed that Jericho would be defeated. But He doesn't always show the whole picture; sometimes He reveals it little by little. Why? So we will learn to rely on Him daily—He desires that we look to Him for guidance today and trust Him with tomorrow.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 16

Working for the Master

Colossians 3:23

In order to work "as for the Lord rather than for men," you must begin with employment that honors Him. Just because you have a chance to make money at a job doesn't mean you should necessarily take it.

God does not approve of all businesses. He certainly would not bless anything that exploits or deceives people.

You may say, "Well, this is the only job I could get." But compromising your faith is never the way to support your family. A clear conscience and vibrant Christian life is far more important than the money you could earn from unethical pursuits. Furthermore, if God doesn't want you doing a certain job, He'll give you a better place to work.

Once you find appropriate employment, be sure to treat other people the way God does—with love and respect, whatever their position is. When I was in college, maids cleaned our rooms. I remember some of my roommates saying harsh things about the "hired help." I thought to myself, If that were my mother, how would I want somebody to treat her? I began to regard the maid as if she were my mom—someone who cared about cleaning my room. How do you want people to treat your children? How do you want them to treat your husband or your wife? How do you want to be treated?

The Bible tells us to work as unto the Lord (Col. 3:23). We can't do that unless we're at a job that pleases Him and aligns with His ways. Once we find ourselves serving Him in our job, we must never forget to treat others with love and respect, regardless of our position—or theirs.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 17

Sufficient Grace

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

I thought the Christian life was going to be easier than this. Have these words ever entered your mind? Sometimes we come into the family of God thinking that our heavenly Father will fix all our problems and devote Himself to our happiness and comfort. However, that is not the reality portrayed in Scripture. Paul was a man whom the Lord used greatly, and yet his life was anything but easy.

In fact, at one point, the apostle thought his pain was too much to bear, and he begged God to remove it. There's nothing wrong with asking the Lord to relieve our suffering, but what should our response be if He doesn't? Paul probably had no idea that His experience would find its way into the Bible, to comfort and guide believers throughout the ages. The promise God gave him applies to us as well: "My grace is sufficient for you" (v. 9).

God's grace could be defined as His provision for us at the point of our need. The problem is that sometimes it doesn't seem as if the Lord truly is meeting our need. But He frequently sees deficiencies, outcomes, and complications that we don't. His goals for us involve spiritual growth, the development of Christlike character, and strong faith. And trials play a vital role in achieving these.

The important issue is how we respond. If all you want is relief, you could descend into anger and doubt. But if your desire is to become the person God wants you to be, you'll see each trial as an opportunity for Christ to display His character and strength in you.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 18, 2011

Grace to Keep Going

Acts 15:7-11

As believers, we readily attribute our salvation to God's grace, but what does "this grace in which we stand" mean to us now (Rom. 5:2)? How does it work out in everyday life, especially when we're going through periods of trial or suffering?

The Lord's grace releases His supernatural power within us so we can endure life's hardships with a godly attitude. In fact, we'll even be able to rejoice in what He is doing in us through the adversity.
Grace builds our confidence in the sovereign Lord. Nothing looks hopeless when we focus on Him instead of on our problems.
We discover the assurance of God's sustaining presence as He walks with us every step of the way.
Because we've experienced His care for us, we are able to show empathy and love to others facing hard times.
During fiery trials, grace works to transform our character so that others can see Jesus reflected in us.
Difficulties in life are unavoidable. So we need a daily dose of God's grace if we are to walk through trials with confidence that there is great reward on the other side. If we rely on our own strength, however, obstacles will appear insurmountable, leaving us discouraged and ready to give up.

Too often believers rely on Christ for their salvation but then try to go solo. If God's grace was needed to save us, then logic says we would also need it for the rest of our days. Only through a continuous infusion of His sustaining power can we live a victorious Christian life.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 19/20

The Ultimate Father-Son Relationship

John 5:19-20 

God is called by a variety of names in the Bible, and each one sheds light on an aspect of His nature. Jesus' favorite title for Him was Father. Surprisingly, this name for God is used only 15 times in the Old Testament, but in the New Testament, it's recorded 245 times!

Many of God's names speak of His majestic and lofty attributes that separate Him from mankind, but Father conveys intimacy. Jesus used this name not only because He was God's Son, but also to help people realize that Jehovah isn't some unapproachable Deity gazing down on them from a distance. Rather, He is their loving heavenly Father, who cares about them and wants to be involved in their everyday lives.

Throughout His time on earth, Christ revealed by example what this kind of love relationship was like. He depended completely on His Father for daily direction, power, and provision and obediently carried out every instruction. He often left the demands of ministry just to find a secluded place to be alone with Jehovah. We know Jesus successfully conveyed the riches of this relationship to His disciples, because in John 14:8, Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father"—he wanted to know Him the way Christ did.

Do you long for that kind of intimacy with God?  He wants to relate to you as a Father to His child, and He's given you the privilege of drawing near to Him. In fact, He chose you before the foundation of the world and waits with open arms for you to enter His loving embrace.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 21

Our Heavenly Father

Matthew 6:8-13

When Christ taught His disciples to pray, He told them to address God as "Our Father." They had previously heard Jesus say, "My Father," but now they, too, shared in that privileged family relationship. All of us who has been born again into the household of God have this same right.

Since our concepts of God are shaped by our earthly fathers, we all have different perceptions of Him, but Jesus is the only one who has a completely accurate understanding of the heavenly Father. Consider some of the ways He cares for His children:

• Loves: God's love is unconditional, since it's based on His nature rather than our performance (1 John 4:16).

• Listens: When we pray, He gives us His full attention (Ps. 55:16-17).

• Provides: The Father assumes responsibility for meeting all our needs (Phil. 4:19).

* Guides: He is the one who directs our path when we trust in Him (Prov. 3:5-6).

• Protects: The Lord shields us spiritually, emotionally, and physically, sifting every experience through His sovereign fingers. (Ps. 121:1-8).

• Stays: He's not an absentee parent, since He'll never leave or forsake us (Deut. 31:8).

•  Disciplines: The Lord disciplines us
for our good, so that we may share in His holiness (Heb. 12:5-11).

Though experiences with our earthly dads may have distorted our view of the heavenly Father, we can learn to see Him as He truly is. By viewing Him through the truth of Scripture instead of our preconceptions, we will see evidence of His loving care and discover a security we've never known before.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk