In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

Started by Judy Harder, July 05, 2011, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

October 29

Can You Trust God?

Romans 4:16-21

As we all know too well, life often confronts us with unexpected or painful circumstances. Sometimes these situations leave us feeling fearful, discouraged, and frustrated. Consequently, we may question whether the Lord truly is reliable.

During such troubling moments, we can rest on this essential truth: The Lord is perfect in His love. Consider verse 5 from 1 John 1: "God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all." In other words, everything our heavenly Father does is righteous. And if He is a God of love, then it is impossible for Him to mistreat any of His children. We can be assured that whatever He places or permits in our lives is good and that His motives are perfectly pure.

Jesus demonstrated this deep care for us when He offered His blood on the cross—there exists no greater display of love than giving one's life for someone else (John 15:13). Our sin debt could be paid only with a flawless sacrifice (Deut. 17:1). Christ, the perfect lamb, was willing to die in our place so that we could have an eternal relationship with the Father. If God gave us His Son—the most precious and amazing gift possible—to take care of our greatest need, then we can trust Him to provide for all areas of our life.

When difficulty arises, remember how much God loves you. He proved this by willingly giving His Son to take the penalty for your sin. Even when circumstances are painful, you can be confident that you are held in the capable and caring hands of your heavenly Father, because of His love.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 31

Reasons to Trust

Proverbs 3:5-6

We often find it easy to trust the Lord when circumstances are pleasant. In difficult times, though, resting in Him can be challenging. Yet that is precisely what God told David to do "Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I shall deliver you" (Ps. 50:15).

As we saw yesterday, trusting the Lord is possible because of His love for us. In the Bible, we see this divine love clearly demonstrated through the Father's character, the Savior's atoning death, and the believer's adoption as a child of God.

Another reason we can rely upon our heavenly Father is His infinite wisdom (Rom. 11:33). He always knows what is best for us, and His judgments are perfect. We don't understand all that goes into God's plan—compared to the full, clear view He has of our lives, we see just a limited picture of reality. Therefore, what He chooses for us may not make sense at the time.

We can also depend upon the Lord because He is sovereign. In other words, whatever He—in His wisdom and love—chooses to do, He is able to accomplish. Nothing stands in the way of our God. He is in complete control of all things; even Satan must obtain His permission before taking action (Job 1:9-12).

We understandably dislike adversity intensely and may feel tempted to ask, "Why, Lord?" Yet by recognizing that God acts in love, wisdom, and sovereignty, we can know that He's allowed the situation and has our long-term best in mind. So we can replace "why?" with gratitude and trust. 

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 1

The Freedom of Salvation

Galatians 3:10-13, 21-24

Most of us are accustomed to working for a reward. We get paid for a completed job, and there's a bonus when our effort exceeds expectation. It's understandable, then, why so many people assume salvation depends upon our actions. But thankfully, that is simply not the case.

The Ten Commandments reveal God's standard for holiness, but besides Jesus, no one has ever obeyed them perfectly. In fact, James 2:10 points out that "whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of it all." Just one jealous thought, unkind comment, or dishonoring action to parents is all it takes to be a lawbreaker, according to God's specifications.

In other words, if salvation depended on our inadequate self-righteousness, nobody could be saved. But these ten rules weren't intended to save us. Instead, they were meant to show our helplessness and point us to Christ (Gal. 3:24).

Our heavenly Father knew that in our own strength, we were inadequate to keep His law. Yet out of grace, He sent His sinless Son to take the penalty we deserved for our wrongdoing—death (Rom. 6:23). Jesus bore our iniquities, died, and rose from the grave. In doing so , He conquered sin so that we can be free.

Jesus' death and resurrection broke the bonds of sin. Are you living in the freedom His blood made possible? We can do nothing to reconcile ourselves to God; our only hope is to accept the free gift of the sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf. In surrendering our life to Him, we find true freedom.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 2

Heirs to a Grand Inheritance

Ephesians 1:9-14

Did you know you are an heir to unimaginable wealth that will never fade away? If you're a believer, God has an inheritance reserved for you in heaven. In fact, He says you have already obtained it (v. 11). Your right to this treasure is based not on anything you've done but on whose you are. If you belong to Christ, it is yours and will be revealed in the last time (1 Pet. 1:4-5).

No one can take our inheritance from us, because God has guaranteed it by sealing us with His Holy Spirit of promise. The transaction is complete and merely awaits the ultimate consummation when everything will be brought under the headship of Christ. This seal shows His ownership and authority over us, and one day our full redemption will come.

Naturally, we all want to know what we're going to inherit. Much of it is beyond our earthly comprehension, but Scripture gives us a few hints. Part will involve the transformation of both our body and soul. The goal for which God predestined us will be completed as we stand before Him, conformed to the likeness of His Son (Rom. 8:29; 1 John 3:2). And these weak, perishable bodies will be changed into strong, glorious ones that are free from sin and death (Phil. 3:20-21).

Why has the Lord done all this for us? Amazingly, He says it's so that throughout eternity He can show us "the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:7). In love and gratitude for such amazing goodness, let's devote each day of our lives to living for Him.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Obeying God

Acts 5:27-32

The high priest ordered Peter and the apostles to stop teaching about Jesus, but they ignored the order. When questioned about their actions, Peter replied, "We must obey God rather than men" (v. 29). What motivated them to follow the Lord with such conviction?

God's Sovereignty. Peter and the other disciples recognized that God had carried out His divine plan of redemption in Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. Convinced that salvation was found in Christ alone, they had the courage to speak boldly about their faith. They didn't alter their words, even in front of a powerful authority. Instead, they gave allegiance to God and obeyed Him.

Thankfulness. Their obedience was also motivated by gratitude. After betraying the Lord, Peter had wept over his failure (Mark 14:72). Think of the disciple's joy to realize that Christ had forgiven him for his mistakes and restored him to a right relationship with God (Mark 16:7; John 21:15-17). With his past behind him, Peter became a leader of the Jerusalem church, with a passion to obey fueled by a thankful heart.

God is in charge of our lives. He has rescued us from the bondage of sin, forgiven us, and brought us into His family. Grateful obedience should be our response too.

Each day we have a choice. We can acknowledge God's sovereignty and trust Him, or we can turn away and follow our own plan. Cultivating a thankful spirit will motivate us to stay the course and obey the Lord. Like Peter, let's commit to following our heavenly Father wherever He leads.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 4

A Life of Obedience

John 8:28-29

God knows who we really are—sinners by nature and practice. Before salvation, we were actively rebelling against His authority and pursuing our own way. Yet He loved us so much that He sent His Son to sacrifice His life in payment for the sin debt we owed (John 3:16). God's love for us is a compelling reason to obey Him in all things.

Christ demonstrated what a life of obedience looks like. He regularly withdrew from the crowds to spend time in prayer and thereby discover God's will. Jesus sought to please His Father in everything He did—and wanted the world to recognize that to obey demonstrates love (John 14:31).

Both the Old and New Testaments provide examples of this principle. David lived an imperfect life, but God knew the king was wholeheartedly committed to Him (1 Kings 15:5). David declared, "I delight to do Your will, O my God; Your Law is within my heart" (Ps. 40:8). And the apostle Paul was single-minded for Jesus (Phil. 3:13-14). However, before his conversion, he persecuted Jewish believers (1 Cor. 15:9).

These two men experienced God's forgiving love firsthand, which motivated them to actively pursue His will. And our heavenly Father knows that none of us can live perfectly, so He wants His children to let the Holy Spirit help them obey.

A life of obedience requires a mind that is focused on the Lord and His plan, a heart committed to following Him, and a will that is surrendered to His authority. It consists of many daily decisions to deny self, resist temptation, and choose His way. How strong is your desire to carry out His will?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 5

How to Get the Most Out of Your Work

Matthew 20:25-28

According to Scripture, work is to be part of the believer's life. We all have daily tasks, and many Christians hold jobs outside the home. Some people view these as drudgery. Others wake up excited to face the day's challenges. What is your outlook?

There is an important biblical principle to follow if you are going to enjoy your work: View yourself as a servant. This might be hard if you feel unappreciated or your coworkers are difficult. But consider the example that the Lord set for us. He was rejected, tortured, and crucified. Yet Jesus was willing to serve even His tormentors with His attitude and, ultimately, with His life. Colossians 3:23-24 states, "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men . . . It is the Lord Christ whom you serve."

When I was in college, this proved to be a valuable perspective. I worked in the bleachery, which was the hottest and most uncomfortable job at the local textile mill. At first, I focused on how much I disliked this position. But I decided to change my attitude and look for opportunities to serve Jesus through my work. For the first time, the heat did not bother me. In fact, I was eager to share my faith with those around me. People listened and responded because they noticed my demeanor.

No job is perfect; each position has negative aspects. But we can find joy and excitement even in the most menial task when we decide to work for God. Choose to serve Christ in all you do. After all, why face each day with dread when you could experience excitement and anticipation?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 7

Christians in the Workplace

Philippians 2:5-8

One of the greatest hindrances to the gospel's effectiveness is Christians who act one way at church and another way elsewhere. The way we live for God should permeate all areas of life. The workplace is no exception.

The way we act reflects our faith. So if we claim to be Christians, our coworkers, bosses, and employees will equate our attitudes and actions with Jesus. Do those around you at the office see a positive reflection of God in your work ethic?

Let's look at a scriptural model for the believer to follow. For one thing, we should view ourselves as servants. Next, our true boss is Christ; therefore, we work diligently and with integrity, knowing that our reward
is from Him. Then, since all authority on earth is God-given (John 19:11), we should obey our superiors gladly—unless, of course, our boss tells us to do something that goes against Scripture. And finally, all those we work with and for have worth from the Creator, and we should treat them with respect.

Think about how the golden rule—"Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you"—applies here. Putting it a different way, imagine yourself as the boss and ask, How would I like employees to work, even when I wasn't watching them?

Even when jobs or coworkers are hard to like, we are to work as though God is our boss. That means doing tasks with joy, a servant attitude, respect for others, diligence, and obedience to those in authority. Imagine what the workplace could be if all believers approached their jobs this way.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 8

Togetherness in the Body

1 Corinthians 1:10-17

Paul wrote today's passage in a letter to the divided body of Corinthian believers. The church was allowing a disagreement to hinder their fellowship. Paul knew the steep danger of dissension among believers.

Scripture is clear about the church's mission. Some of its highest goals include sharing the gospel with all nations, caring for those in need, and worshiping together, along with loving, encouraging, and admonishing one another in God's truth. None of these is fully possible if a church is divided, whether physically or mentally.

God wants His people to "make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace" (Eph. 4:3 niv). So if all Christians base their beliefs on the Bible, they should be able to settle every argument according to its truth, right? Unfortunately, it is not that simple. Our human nature, preferences, and different interpretations of Scripture can cause disagreements. Consider, for example, how many churches have experienced strife over music styles.

Tragically, when differences are divisive, our mission becomes blurred and we are ineffective. Just as fishermen cannot catch fish with a broken net, we are unable to effectively share Jesus with the world when our fellowship is not intact. Tomorrow, we will explore how to keep unity in the church.

Are your actions and words strengthening your fellow Christians? Or do you gossip, express negativity, and push your own preferences and opinions? Be careful. God has mandated that our conduct positively impact the church's unity. This is essential if we are to accomplish His purpose.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 9

Church Unity

Philippians 2:1-2

Unfortunately, churches all around the world experience brokenness. Christians are divided over things as petty as whether the service should be contemporary or traditional. Paul points out that unity is crucial to achieving our purpose. So how is that possible when a disagreement arises?

It all depends on what the difference of opinion is about. The fundamental beliefs of the faith (i.e., Jesus is the sinless Son of God, who died for our sins and rose again) are not negotiable. But if the dispute has to do with a nonessential issue—even certain interpretations of doctrine, (i.e., free will versus predestination)—some prayerful discussion in love is acceptable, but believers should not let it cause division. In such cases, a consensus is likely to leave some people disappointed with the results. Yet both sides should be willing to accept differences without strife.

Years ago, I went to a rural Southern church, whose congregation was divided into obvious clans. In essence these were like totally separate churches. Instead of addressing lots of fringe issues, I simply began to preach the Word. Over time, people who hadn't talked to one another in years began to unite. Why? The church is the body of Jesus Christ (Col. 1:24), so He is the only One who can bring us together.

There is nothing we can do in human strength to mend our differences. We selfishly believe our preferences are better than others' opinions. But in sacrificing our desires for the greater good of a unified church, we please God. And obedience gives greater joy than getting our way.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk