road 7over eagle head

Started by oldfart, June 25, 2011, 04:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

It seems that someone has taken any mention of Rd. 7 out of the first post of this thread.  So it seems that we are talking about Rd. 5.  Is it closed or isn't it?  If so, when was it closed?

oldfart

road 7 or road 5 or killdeer what every road is going over eaglehead from one side to the other was what was ask about. I don't care but other people ask me ,that why I ask ,believe it or not  people are afraid to ask for fear of upsetting some people.

Wilma

Ok, old fart, how about I do some asking at the place that can give the answers?  I will have to do it by phone, which is not my favorite thing, but, I will grit my teeth and do it.  You might help by posting any questions that you would like to have answered.

Patriot

Quote from: oldfart on June 26, 2011, 09:41:00 PM
road 7 or road 5 or killdeer what every road is going over eaglehead from one side to the other was what was ask about. I don't care but other people ask me ,that why I ask ,believe it or not  people are afraid to ask for fear of upsetting some people.

That would actually be a road shown on national maps still as 283 Rd that travels south and southwest, not following surveyed section lines, from the intersection of Rd 7 & Killdeer to Road 5, gracefully winding through the scenic vistas of the center of the scenic Osage Cuestas... and the new 200 MW wind farm site... imagine the guided tour opportunities.  Do you suppose there are any Artesian wells?  Or limestone arch bridges?  Ahhhh the history this county holds.  Almost makes Pat Perkins' post on this forum in the summer of 2008 look prophetic....

QuoteTitle: Re: Howard Old Bank Building - What would you like done with it.....
Post by: Arc fault on July 30, 2008, 09:33:33 pm

What about an RV park and ride....Park your RV and we will give you a trailride of Elk County... 

...Have you ever seen limestone arch bridge?  Ariesian well?  and  a 200 megawatt wind farm on the same trail?

Just hope there aren't any ancient native burial grounds there to be disturbed.

Old Rd 238 passes more or less diagonally across the following parcels of land (ownership estimated as of 2010):

S9 T30 R9E owned in part by Mac-O-Chee Farms LP & Harrison Family Trust
S17 T30 R9E owned in whole by James R. Perkins

Here's a Mapquest link.  Just zoom in on Howard, find Killdeer and go west to Road 7, then follow Rd 283.  Notice 283 was not renamed when the 911 road assignments were made.  Private road?  Now, possibly.  In times past, possibly not.

http://classic.mapquest.com/maps?city=Howard&state=KS&country=US&latitude=37.470299&longitude=-96.263298&geocode=CITY

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Wilma

Thank you, but I have a 2010 Elk County Rural Directory and a map of the proposed Wind Farm and I am quite good at reading maps.  The road you mention is closed and anyone trying to travel it is trespassing.  Better stick to public roads.

Wilma

Janet did some investigating and this is what she found out.  Road 5 is closed temporarily due to work being done on the road.  This came directly from the courthouse where they know these things.  So, Old Fart, tell the people that ask you questions to go ask them at the courthouse then come tell you what they found out.

Once the wind farm is completed, there is the possibility that access will be limited to the area.  However, they can't deny access to people that own land along Road 5.  It remains to be seen.

Janet Harrington

Okay. Now, to paint this into a picture. Looking at a map, if you go west on Killdeer from the south edge of Howard, you will notice that Killdeer ends at Road 7. Road 7 ends until yo can pick it up further on to the south by going around a different way.

Road 5 goes north from U-160 until it stops in Sec. 17, Township 30, Range 9E, which is owned by James Perkins or Jim Perkins as he is locallly known. The one and same "daddy" to the county commissioner Elizabeth Perkins Hendricks. Ok.

The road that goes on north and east and north and east winding itself on top of the hill and eventually meets back up with Road 7 and Killdeer is not a county road. I repeat, it is not a county road. However; the county does have a 60 foot right-of-way over and across the hill that is going to hold those wind towers.

That road is maintained by the county because the county has the right-of-way. OK. Everyone clear on that?

Now, if anything is closed it is this right-of-way due to the construction that is going on with the wind towers. Just as you would not have access to a road that was having a bridge replaced or re-done, (such as the locally known River Road when Elk River washed part of it away), you do not have access to this road or you might have limited access to this road while this wind farm is being built.

The information that I got was this road is not being taxed because the county of the 60 foot right-of-way. This road does not have a 911 name because it is not a road. It is a county right-of-way.

I would venture to guess that if Jim Perkins, Mac-O-Chee farms, and the Harrison Family Trust decided that I wanted to close the road, they would go through the proper procedures of which I can only guess. I would have to look the statutes up to really be knowledgeable about the closing of roads.

Anyway, I hope everyone can breathe easier because now we know that since the county has the right-of-way, that is why the county road workers grade and work on that particular piece of non-county road.

I learned all of this with one simple phone call. However; there are four departments in the courthouse that can answer this question. The road department, the appraiser,the county clerk and the register of deed. Oh, and probably the county attorney who should have a file of all roads that have been asked to be closed by the county commissioners.

Have a happy day. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :angel: :angel: :angel: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

readyaimduck

QuoteHowever; there are four departments in the courthouse that can answer this question. The road department, the appraiser,the county clerk and the register of deed. Oh, and probably the county attorney who should have a file of all roads that have been asked to be closed by the county commissioners.

That is a fact, and one I was trying to make earlier without being too complex.
Also, in order for it to be closed, it has to be submitted in the paper by the comissioners as a notice prior to being closed for any discussion/denial.

oldfart

road 5is closed right now we poured cement 60 yards to day

oldfart

why does county need right of way over that hill  ,like the chicken to cross to other side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk