Did You Know.....

Started by Warph, June 10, 2011, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Unfortunately people do access those numbers of people who have died and try to use the numbers. Shortly after Daddy died it happened with his number. I don't know how it was caught, but we were sent an "attempt of fraudulent use" letter.

Bullwinkle

Warph

...that a new study has found that girls are just as likely to be violent on dates as boys!
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/girls-commit-dating-violence-often-boys-studies-show-6C10809607

Those big manly girls with their steroid encrusted muscles and their mega fighting skills are pulverizing boys left and right.  

Streets are littered with victims.

What are we to do, guys?

This is the new world order of things boys and girls.

What kind of violence, you ask?

Perhaps these girls blow their noses on a date's sleeve?  Yes, that is one particularly egregious  form of violence.

Alas, they slap boys and call them names like 'big meanie' or 'poopy head.'

Yes, pretty raw stuff and I apologize for having to print those kinds of terms.

You know this gives new meaning to the old phrase "you hit like a girl!"
...a phrase to send chills and terror into the hearts of men everywhere.

These mighty and super powerful women are causing all manner of mayhem and foolishness on boys who have no defense.  

Oh... the humanity.

I can't go on.  I am too overcome with  the horror of it all.

Yes... as Bob Dylan once worbbled, 'Times They Are a-Changing.'

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

For All You Duck and Geese Hunters out there

...that an 8-year-old boy in Australia had high levels of lead, a toxic metal, in his blood for more than two years for unexplained reasons, until doctors found lead pellets in his body, trapped in an unlikely place, according to a new report of his case.

Doctors had tested the boy for toxins in looking for the cause of his unusually hyperactive behavior. They found levels of lead in his blood ranging from 17.4 to 27.4 microgram per deciliter, much higher than the level of 5 micrograms considered normal. But the source remained mysterious -- doctors couldn't find what the boy might have been touching, inhaling or eating, to have such high lead levels for months.

When the boy started to have a stomachache and was admitted to the hospital, the doctors did an x-ray, which revealed large numbers of small round objects in the boy's abdomen, according to the researchers, who published a case report in Aug. 8 issue of
the New England Journal of Medicine> [9 Weird Ways Kids Can Get Hurt ].

The metallic-looking objects were in the lower right side of the boy's abdomen, appearing to be inside the digestive tract. The doctors immediately gave the boy a bowel washout, which should have cleared any object within his digestive tract, but a second x-ray showed the objects had not moved.

The doctors suspected the unlikely scenario – the objects had to be in the boy's appendix.

In surgery, the doctors removed the boy's appendix and cut it open, revealing 57 lead pellets trapped inside.

"It's one of those things you only see once in a life time," said Dr. Ibrahim Zardawi, the pathologist who examined the appendix. "I've been in medicine for almost 40 years now, and had never seen anything like this."

The boy's appendix weighed 5 times heavier than normal when containing the pellets, but other than few tissue scars, it was normal and wasn't inflamed. [See the image of the appendix with the pellets inside ]

It is highly unlikely for external objects to end up in the appendix, Zardawi said. Sometimes small fruit seeds such as tomato seeds may find a way through, but it's a puzzle as to how so many pellets entered and became stuck in the boy's appendix, he said.

The pellets likely came from the geese the boy's family regularly hunted and ate, they later told the doctors. The boy and his siblings said they had been eating the pellets as part of a game the played, to make the pellets disappear.

Lead is a heavy metal used in manufacturing batteries and plastics. It is strongly poisonous to humans when ingested or inhaled. Once in the body, lead circulates in the blood and small amounts can be excreted through urine or feces, but some can remain in the tissues, organs and bones. Symptoms of severe lead poisoning include confusion, seizures, coma and death.

"One important question to ask is, why not use copper pellets?" Zardawi said. The pellets used to kill the birds usually stay inside the animal, and the lead can be dangerous to other animals and to whoever eats the meat. The whole family had high levels of lead, he said.

Consuming just one lead pellet could have been enough to make the child seriously ill, Zardawi said.

In another case of lead poisoning from a mysterious source, a 4-year-old boy was brought to a hospital in Knoxville, Tenn., with symptoms of lead poisoning. As detailed in the report of his case, published in 1994 in the Journal Pediatric Surgery, it took the doctors several rounds of x-rays and bowel washouts to finally find a lead pellet trapped in his appendix.
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Taken

Where do Deleted Computer Files go when they die?

Besides Obuma, Pantsuit and Dirty Harry, Are We Ready For Aliens?

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

25 Images You Won't Believe Weren't Photoshopped

8 Facts About Food That Will Totally Creep you Out

Earth's 10 Most Mysterious Events

Science's 10 Greatest Unsolved Mysteries

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Science's 10 Inventions that Could Have Changed the World

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

The Kansas Redlegs

Kansas Redlegs, so called because they wore red leggings.

During the early part of the Civil War western Missouri was infested with bands of guerrillas, and it was no uncommon occurrence for some of these lawless gangs to cross the border and commit depredations in Kansas. To guard against these incursions, and otherwise to aid the Union cause, a company of border scouts was formed sometime in the year 1862. As it was an independent organization, never regularly mustered into the United States service, no official record of it has been preserved. The men composing the company became known as "Red Legs," from the fact that they wore leggings of red or tan-colored leather.

It was a secret Union military society, organized in late 1862 by General Thomas Ewing and James Blunt for desperate service along the border, and numbered as many as 100 men.

The qualifications for membership in the company were unquestioned loyalty to the Union cause, undaunted courage and the skillful use of the rifle or revolver. Their headquarters were at the "Six-mile House," so called because it was six miles from Wyandotte (Kansas City) on the Leavenworth Road. This house was erected in the winter of 1860-61 by Joseph A. Bartels, whose son, Theodore, one of the best pistol shots on the border, was a member of the Red Legs.

The company was commanded by Captain George H. Hoyt, the lawyer who defended John Brown at Charleston, Virginia. Other members were Jack Harvey, a brother of Fred Harvey, of Santa Fe Wild Bill "; Joseph B. Swain, nicknamed "Jeff Davis," afterward captain of Company K. Fifteenth Kansas; "Red" Clark, of Emporia, whom General Ewing said was the best spy he ever had; John M. Dean, who was one of the organizers; and W. S. Tough, for many years proprietor of the horse market at the Kansas City stockyards. Still others, of less note, were Harry Lee, Newt Morrison, Jack Hays, James Flood, Jerry Malcolm, and Charles Blunt, often called "One-eyed Blunt."

William W. Denison, assistant adjutant-general of Kansas some years after the war, was a private soldier in the Eleventh Kansas, and was one of the detail to enforce General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11. On that occasion he wore the red leggings of the organization, which came to be recognized as "a badge of desperate service in the Union army." Generals Ewing and Blunt usually had several of the Red Legs on their payrolls, where they received often as much as $7 per day on account of the hazardous service they were required to render.

Evacuation of Missouri Counties under General Order No. 11, painting by George Caleb Bingham, 1870. Original Painting held in Cincinnati Art Museum,  Cincinnati, Ohio

In course of time the term "Red Leg" became general along the border. William E. Connelley, in his Quantrill and the Border Wars, said: "Every thief who wanted to steal from the Missouri people counterfeited the uniform of the Red Legs and went forth to pillage. This gave the organization a bad name, and much of the plundering done along the border was attributed to them, when, in fact, they did little in that line themselves. There were some bad characters among them—very bad. But they were generally honest and patriotic men. They finally hunted down the men who falsely represented themselves to be Red Legs, and they killed every man found wearing the uniform without authority."

Albert R. Greene, a member of the Ninth Kansas Cavalry, was personally acquainted with many of the Red Legs and was also well acquainted with the nature of their service. Concerning them and their work he said: "There was not one of them but performed valuable service for the Union cause, and, so far as I know and believe, always within the rules of civilized warfare. That the organization was disbanded before the close of the war was owing more to the fact that the necessity for its existence had ceased than because a few of its members had thrown off the restraints of discipline. . . . It is enough to say for the propriety and wisdom of such an organization as the Red Legs, that it did more to protect the homes of Kansas than any regiment in the service, and was the organization of all others most dreaded by William Quantrill."

Such was the character of the Red Legs -- men who knew not the meaning of the word cowardice, and who left their fields and firesides to defend their homes against the irregular and predatory warfare of the guerrilla and the bushwhacker.

Like the "Minute Men" of Concord and Lexington, they never hesitated to meet the invader, and when the trying conditions that called the organization into existence had passed, most of the members returned to peaceful occupations and became again law-abiding citizens. It is to be regretted that, not being regularly enlisted soldiers, the complete and authentic history of the Red Legs and their deeds of heroism and daring cannot be obtained at this late day.

Compiled by Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated March, 2011.
About the Article: The vast majority of this historic text was published in Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Volume I; edited by Frank W. Blackmar,  A.M. Ph. D.; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912. However, the text that appears on this page has been edited.
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Gutzon Borglum and his son, Lincoln, use a tramway during Mount Rushmore carving

....that on Halloween of 1941, carving on South Dakota's Mount Rushmore was declared complete. The monument, which features the heads of Presidents Lincoln, Washington, Roosevelt and Jefferson, was originally intended to show full-body representations of the four presidents. But time and money constraints limited sculptor Gutzon Borglum, who had previously carved the face of Robert E. Lee on Stone Mountain in Georgia.

Construction, using dynamite and involving more than 400 workers, began on Oct. 4, 1927. Washington's was the first face finished — dedicated on July 4, 1934 — followed by Jefferson in 1936, Lincoln in 1937 and Roosevelt in 1939. However, the mountain monument wasn't yet complete.

Borglum had planned to include an 80-by-100-foot inscription, but weaknesses in the granite forced him to relocate some of the heads and revise the plan. His new vision included a Hall of Records, carved into the granite in a canyon behind the faces. Ultimately, his plan was for the Declaration of Independence and Constitution to be stored in the hall. Borglum died, though, in the spring of 1941 after only carving 70 feet of the hall. His son Lincoln continued the work, and construction was deemed finished on Oct. 31.

In 1998, the National Park System put finishing touches on the Hall of Records, installing a vault and sixteen porcelain enamel text panels with documents including the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution engraved on them.

Today, the Mount Rushmore National Memorial attracts nearly 3 million visitors to the Black Hills every year.
--Warph

-- Warph

readyaimduck

I totally got that..   read plain as day....
READY...AIM....DUCK!

But she wasn't going for it!  Women understand pecking bs.  lol

I resent that Warph!  ...well not really!  lol

Ready..... -----......--- ... ---- .... ..   (that was a drum solo from Smoke On The Water
edit:  replied to your duck video...didn't take, I guess.....oh well ...----...--

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk