Elk Konnected & Public Square update?

Started by Patriot, May 31, 2011, 08:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

So you don't really know of any tax money that has been disbursed?  If you did, you could list it here.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on June 06, 2011, 10:12:25 AM
So you don't really know of any tax money that has been disbursed?  If you did, you could list it here.
That's the job of EK. Its called transparency and ethical reporting.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

You know, if the farmers and ranchers around here have to report the government welfare they received, then why doesn't EK have to report it?  Apparantly they have recieved it in the form of grants, and according to some on here, use of taxpayer funds to buy baseballs.  It should be reported in a public document.

jerry wagner

Quote from: srkruzich on June 06, 2011, 11:36:39 AM
You know, if the farmers and ranchers around here have to report the government welfare they received, then why doesn't EK have to report it?  Apparantly they have recieved it in the form of grants, and according to some on here, use of taxpayer funds to buy baseballs.  It should be reported in a public document.

The farmers do not report the subsidies they receive from the government, or at least they can choose to, they are NOT required to.  The federal government reports the subsidies received.  That is available online.  Perhaps you should require the county/cities to report that publicly.... although from what I've read they do so through the minutes which does satisfy the legal requirement.  If you wanted them to report in a single document, then you should push the authorizing agency (whether county/city/state) to publish it as such.

srkruzich

Thats another good point. WHY isn't the county publishing the minutes on their website?  That would be transparancy. 

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on June 06, 2011, 12:05:30 PM
Thats another good point. WHY isn't the county publishing the minutes on their website?  That would be transparancy. 

Outstanding idea.  That info could be placed in the section reserved for the County Clerk since that office is responsible for (among other things) preparing payroll and accounts payable checks and records, preparing Financial reports and recording and publishing minutes of the county commissioners' meeting.

Heck, a page showing all county debt as well as monthly county expenditures would really help give all taxpayers a better picture of how our money is being handled.   

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Diane Amberg

Do you mean like an Annual Report? Isn't that published in the newspaper already?

Patriot

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 06, 2011, 12:40:07 PM
Do you mean like an Annual Report? Isn't that published in the newspaper already?

No, I mean like a monthly pdf scan of an expenditure spreadsheet.  I realize the paper is important, but since the taxpayers are buying a nice new website, it could surely be put to more expanded and informative use.  The paper is a nice weekly thing... the government website is there 24/7, and can be updated in a much more timely way.

Wilma

The minutes of the meetings of the Elk County Commissioners is published in the paper as soon as they are approved.  All monies that are approved during those minutes are reported in those minutes.  All you have to do is read the minutes when they come out.  Or go to the courthouse and ask to read them there.  We have a very nice County Clerk department.  At least I am received with open arms any time I am in the courthouse.  Is there anything else required by law?

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on June 06, 2011, 01:17:14 PM
The minutes of the meetings of the Elk County Commissioners is published in the paper as soon as they are approved.  All monies that are approved during those minutes are reported in those minutes.  All you have to do is read the minutes when they come out.  Or go to the courthouse and ask to read them there.  We have a very nice County Clerk department.  At least I am received with open arms any time I am in the courthouse.  Is there anything else required by law?

Is there some problem with Elk County government taking a tiny step into the 21st century?  It's not like I'm suggesting a video of the commission meetings be posted on the internet for heavens sake.  Since the taxpayers are already buying a website, why not make full use of it?  And to think, you and yours say I'm regressive and don't support community advancement.  hmmmph!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk