limestone road

Started by oldfart, May 23, 2011, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

"Limestones are important rocks. They can be used for building materials but are not quite as strong as sandstone and are easily weathered by acidic conditions. Limestones are the primary source of lime for cements. Cement is considered one of the most important construction materials ever invented by man. Limestone can be crushed and used as road ballast. Significant quantities of limestone are quarried around the world for these purposes."

Not to dsipute your findings, but where did they quearry this rock...it will break down if not a pure limestone.  It has holes as compared to a reef. 
I then take it by your statement that Mr. Lakey is a Road and Bridge sort of guy for the cvounty?

Does he buy his own rock, or is he told what rock to buy within his budget, which I know in all counties is dwindling.(sp  Wilma :police: ;D)
If you don't have the correct product, even with a minimal budget...things will go to hell in a hand basket...and we have small baskets nowadays!
Ready

oldfart

dont want to get a debate about the quality of rock crushed here.Started this show differences how Lackey makes his men blade roads,

srkruzich

Quote from: PAT RIOT on May 23, 2011, 05:37:23 PM
Show me a contractor that can maintain 705 miles of road for the county's road budget and I am sure they would have a job.  

Limestone has already had the huge rock put on it.  It just has had so much traffic it smashed to nothing.  

Well it would help the budget if your grader operators weren't off on a sideroad behind something sleeping. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

flintauqua

Sorry, oldfart.  I was typing this while you were posting

Some info on limestone in Elk County is available at a link in this post from 2008:

http://www.cascity.com/howard/forum/index.php/topic,5253.0.html

The Topeka and Ervine Creek limestone strata are what are now quarried at the Durbin/Harshman/Cornejo/? quarry east of the state highway department yard at Moline.  I have checked before, but have forgotten what strata is quaried southeast of Severy.

oldfart will correct me if I'm wrong, but to me there are three main issues as to how well the rock performs once it's on the road:

1.  The quality of the strata of rock being quarried.  Not all limestone is created equal, literally.  The Ervine Creek is one of the highest quality limestones in the entire state for road ballast and construction aggregate. 

2.  The type of mill used to produce the crushed stone.  Hammer mills leave jagged edges to the rock, roller mills produce much smoother gravel that packs better and doesn't tear tires up as much.  to the best of my knowledge, all the quarries currently operating in the area use hammer mills.

3.  The size of the gravel and the amount of fines in the finished product. 

When Martin Marietta operated the quarry south and east of the Rodeo Grounds at Moline, they produced a high quality road rock for the county.  It was of a specific size, had a specific amount of fines in it, came out of a roller mill, and was exclusively Ervine Creek Limestone. 

In my opinion, the gravel roads in the county have suffered ever since that specific product became unavailable.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

readyaimduck

I will not see how this conversation ends as I am going to bed :-\  however why, the question is why was it now unavaliable??

The county backroads want to  know the truth, not some suposition.
Ready, tomorrow in the morning. :'(

readyaimduck

and how do you know your grader guys are sleeping?

oldfart

Yes years ago went to school for testing rock at K State AT  Salina state road engineers.  said rock in Elk co was best in state for concrete and asphalt.  it has low absorption rates so it won't suck up oil when they make it. Hammer mills do make rock jagged ,cone crusher do the best as for size of rock for who know how long inch and half rock was what was used  up to few months ago went to two and half inch rock

if quarry's has bad screens some time lot bigger.

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on May 23, 2011, 07:14:52 PM
and how do you know your grader guys are sleeping?
Cause i've scared the sh** out of one when i stopped to ask him if he was ok.  Woke him up out of a sound sleep. Looked like he was dead or something sitting up there with his head rolled back

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

readyaimduck

Well, that explains alot!

Lookatmeknow!!

I was told they are putting that big rock on to start a base. Just what heard and told. Oh, I ruined a tire not over a month ago. Was out of town at the time, and let me tell you, Wal-mart tires are not that great at all. We usually get all our tires at Lannings. I have a van and it's pretty heavy and we put 6 ply tires on it to help with the flat tires and such, but of course they told me at Walmart that they didn't have any 6 ply for my van, so had to buy a 4 ply that cost as much as my 6 ply from Lannings. That sucks!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk