CATLIN, Dewey Duane - b. August 2, 1947 - d. May 20, 2011

Started by Janet Harrington, May 21, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Dewey Catlin, a retired Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper, formerly of Sedan, Kansas, passed away on May 20th, 2011, I believe. His son, Adam, said that services will be sometime next week in Sedan. I didn't put down the date of death as I actually am not sure if it was the 20th or the 21st. Anyway, Dewey Catlin was stationed in Sedan, Kansas, and worked with the area sheriff's offices for many years. He was in Sedan around the same time that Jim Gaddie was our trooper here in Elk County. When I learn more details will post.

patyrn

Dewey Duane Catlin, retired Master Trooper for the Kansas Highway Patrol, passed away May 20, 2011.  He was born August 2, 1947 in Hardtner, Kansas to Bruce and Betty Catlin.

He graduated from Buffalo, Missouri High School in 1965 before joining the Marine Corps where he achieved the rank of Sergeant before leaving in 1969.  During his time in the Marine Corps, he served in Vietnam and received the following campaign ribbons and medals:  National Defense Service medal, Vietnam Service Medal with two stars, Vietnam Campaign medal, good conduct medal, and combat action ribbon.  Prior to joining the Kansas Highway Patrol, Catlin was an officer with the Hutchinson Police Department. 

He joined the Kansas Highway Patrol in 1973 and served at the following duty stations:  Goodland, Kansas 1973-1981, Sedan, Kansas 1981-1997, where he retired as a Master Trooper.  He moved to Manhattan, Kansas in 2001 to be near his grandkids and then moved again to Augusta in 2008 to be near his newest grandkids.

He is survived by his wife of forty-two years, Cheryl; daughter, Melissa Cook and her husband, Rod of Manhattan, Kansas; son, Adam Catlin and his wife, Sarah of Augusta, Kansas; and grandsons, Kyle Cook, Braden Cook, and Aiden Catlin; and one granddaughter, Shaylee.  Dewey was preceded in death by his daughter, Victoria; his brother, Phillip, and his father, Bruce Catlin.

A memorial service will be held Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 1:00 p.m. at the First Christian Church in Sedan, Kansas with Reverend John Warring officiating. Inurnment will follow at the Greenwood Cemetery in Sedan.  In lieu of flowers, please donate to your local hospice, VFW, or American Legion, and those remembrances can be left in care of the David W. Barnes Funeral Home, 209 N. Douglas, Sedan, Kansas 67361.

(taken from the David W. Barnes Funeral Home website)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk