Way to screw things up Brownback

Started by unruhj, May 15, 2011, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Waldo's map comprises the Flint Hills physiographic region of Kansas.  It conforms with this map:

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Physio/physio.html

which shows all of the physiographic regions of Kansas.

The Governor's Tallgrass Heartland includes parts of other physiographic regions:  Osage Cuestas, Chautauqua Hills, and the Glaciated Region.  I am trying to find a link to an even more detailed map that I believe I have posted on here before.

Let us not get into an argument over the definition of the 'Tallgrass' on here, please.  Exactly what is meant by Tallgrass Heartland is open to interpretation, since many different organizations have created many different maps, some based purely on surface geography, some taking into account geology, some utilizing satelite and aerial photography to delineate based on land use, and others using flora and fauna to make the determination.

In my opinion, the area of consternation should be the way in which the Governors office held meetings with the wind energy company's trade organization, utility companies (read Westar) and landowners (probably the likes of Tom Devlin, the Bass Brothers, the Koch Brothers, and other large land owners, most of whom have direct or indirect connections to the fossil fuels energy industry), etc.; yet caught the elected commissioners and state legislators from the region completely off guard with this announcement.

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Mom70x7

flintauqua

Here's the link to the map I was talking about.  It was developed in 2001 by many Federal and state agencies in Kansas and Nebraska:  Okay, something was wrong with the format of that link - try going to this page and then clicking on the first image.

http://www.epa.gov/wed/pages/ecoregions/ksne_eco.htm#Please

"This poster is the product of a collaborative effort primarily between the US EPA Region VII, the US EPA National
Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory (Corvallis, Oregon), the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (NDEQ), the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission (NGPC), the Kansas Biological Survey (KBS), the Kansas Geological Survey (KGS), the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Division of Environment (KDHE), Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP), the United States Department of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) (formerly the Soil Conservation Service), and the United States Department of the Interior - U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) - Earth Resources Observation Systems (EROS) Data Center."

"This project is associated with an interagency effort to develop a common framework of ecological regions. . . . Regional collaborative projects such as this one in Nebraska and Kansas, where agreement can be reached among multiple resource management agencies, is a step in the direction of attaining commonality and consistency in ecoregion frameworks for the entire nation."

You will notice a large chunk of what has been classified Osage Cuestas in the past, is now classified as part of the Flint Hills, including large sections of Elk and Chautauqua counties, and nearly all of Greenwood.

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Wilma

I couldn't get to this last link, but I got to the one before and it still shows only a tiny bit of the northwest corner of Elk County as being in the Flint Hills.  The rest of the county is Osage Cuestas and Chautauqua Hills.  Not that it makes any difference.  The governour has declared a ban on economic development in Elk County and he did it in the underhanded way of every good politician.  Pushing the benefit of it to his own country.

Please would someone explain to me how wind farms are detrimental to the eco system.

flintauqua

I edited the link to the newer map.  Please try again.  As for how windfarms affect the ecosystem . . .

To me the question is "How does a windfarm affect the ecosystem compared to the effects of oil and gas exploration and production on the same ecosystem?"  

The short answer - Urbanites from KC, Topeka, Wichita and elsewhere don't see the oil and gas wells (and lease roads) that cover vast expanses of the "pristine" Flint Hills/Tallgrass Prairie as they wizz through on I-70, I-35, the KTA, US 400, etc.  They also don't seem to mind all of the cell towers that dot the same area.  But, put up a windfarm and all of a sudden the "pristine" prairie has been sullied, simply because they have changed the 'viewshed'.

redcliffsw

Keep in mind the "Conservation Easements" that are becoming more common on land.
The Fed's are involved in many of these Conservation Easements.  They're gonna tie-up more
and more land.

flintauqua

http://cjonline.com/legislature/2011-05-06/brownback-widens-shield-flint-hills

QuoteSaving the ecological character and ranching culture of the tallgrass prairie from development will help preserve a state treasure for future Kansans, said Ron Klataske, executive director of the Audubon of Kansas.

"It is reflective of the interests of most residents within the Flint Hills," he said.

I'm glad that the Kansas Audubon director went around and polled every resident in Elk, Chautauqua, and Cowley counties - how else could he know that "It is relfective of the interests of most residents within the Flint Hills."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/may/06/brownback-expands-area-keep-out-commercial-wind-fa/

QuoteAllan Pollom, state director of The Nature Conservancy, commended Brownback for "his thoughtful and balanced approach. He has reminded us all, as Kansans, of the honor we share as stewards of the last great stand of tallgrass prairie."

Isn't it nice that the Nature Conservancy believes that "us all, as Kansans" are stewards of the tallgrass prairie - not the owners of the land, or even the residents of the counties in which it exists.

redcliffsw

Yeah, well the NC is controlling a lot of land and seeking more.  They're even buying up land, then selling a Conservation Easement to the Fed's. 

You all want more Federal Government control and involvement?  Looks like you're gonna get more of it.

The founding fathers never intended such by the Fed's including the "non-profits" such as NC.  Just another
consequence of the federal income tax system which was never meant to be.

Wilma

Red, what does all that have to do with this thread?

MarkHall

Yeah, this is not good for Elk county and surrounding areas... the first glimmer of hope for new economic activity and it looks like it's going to be ending before it even starts.

Anyone talked to Jeff King? Who's our state rep now since King is now in the senate?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk