Hummingbirds and others

Started by Judy Harder, May 11, 2011, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

We have local vultures that soar a route over our house and area every afternoon. Our Goldfinches are beginning to pick up color. Happy Easter.

frawin

Diane whenever we see Vultures Soaring around we each say they are looking for us, maybe they are, but since we are not Dead yet, we get a good laugh out of it. Hope this finds you and yours enjoying Easter and an Easter egg Hunt where you are.

Wilma

We have seen lots of vultures while on the last few trips we have made to Wichita.  Mostly in the old familiar places.  I think we can expect the hummingbirds in a couple more weeks now.

I haven't told you, but I think my little lost dove returned.  Perhaps it had been injured and disappeared only long enough to heal.  For about a week the pair was frequently at my feeder and their favorite perching place in the catalpa tree.  Now there is only one at a time again.  I believe that the nesting has begun and that one day the one will be too busy to spend much time just perching.  I haven't seen either of them today as the snow has been so heavy that most of the birds are still recovering from shock.  The cardinals are always brave, the first to show up in the morning and the last to say "good night".

Have a good Easter Day.

Diane Amberg

My Easter egg hunt was mainly finding the hard boiled eggs I cooked two days ago to use in this morning's annual Golden Rod eggs for breakfast.They were in the back of the refrigerator,hidden behind a big head of lettuce. I knew they had to be in there somewhere.There are lots of hunts for the local kids...almost too many. Happy Easter to all.

Wilma

Big treat this morning.  A white winged dove was feeding at my window feeder.  It took me several moments to figure out that this was not a ring necked dove or a turtle dove.  I was busy looking for the black ring or the spots on the wing and completely overlooked the white strip along the the wing until it flew.  This dove is slightly smaller than the ring necked and bigger than the turtle dove.  It was also a bit more curious as it kept looking in at us instead of just eating.

Diane Amberg

I wasn't familiar with that kind so I checked them out. Very pretty. We don't have that kind here, just the Mourning Doves, as far as I know.
Any birds around here today better be carrying a bag of rocks. 60 mph winds, with many power outages and tree and limb loss, but not right here, fortunately.

Catwoman

I had a male Ana's Hummingbird, finally, and my Collared Doves have begun feeding again in the back yard.  Hoping the weather tomorrow doesn't destroy all of my iris, as their blooms are particularly big this year. :-[

Diane Amberg

We only get Ruby Throated Hummers and he is due back this week. The feeders are up, so he can have a good meal when he arrives. Have a good sweet smelling day.
You must have a storm coming? We may have one this afternoon too. My Iris aren't out yet, but the Lilacs sure smell nice, as do the Lilies of the Valley.

Catwoman

Our after-school tutoring program was cancelled today due to the impending weather...Which has yet to materialize in the manner predicted.  uuuggghhhh  Actually, it's a blessing that the predictions didn't come to full fruition.  Just not happy with the loss of income.

Diane Amberg

I'm very glad your storm didn't happen. Ours was just a wee one. Lots of noise but not much rain. After talking about him, the hummer showed up yesterday afternoon. He went right to the feeder and took a big swig and went off into a bushy evergreen, probably for a long nap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk