Of Elk Konnected, wind farms & gorillas... Friends, Romans, countrymen...

Started by Patriot, May 04, 2011, 08:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 05, 2011, 02:34:42 PM
Interesting. I guess there is just a difference in attitudes between your small towns and here. I did just get off the City of Newark web site as I was checking the summer camp schedules since I'll be involved in them again.The site has all the city doings coming up plus the UD Alumni weekend, the downtown Food and Brew Festival, run by local merchants ,Newark Night, hosted by the city in conjunction with local merchants and the "UDon't Need It"program which UD holds to get the college kids to bring their castoffs of furniture etc. to a central location rather than leave them dumped all over town. I don't think anybody cares that some things on the city website benefit so called "private" companies, see merchants and business people here in town.They all pay taxes  here one way or another.  Might I ask why it matters so much that EK activities not be listed on your website? Isn't it used as a sort of community bulletin board for the benefit of any interested people? No?

That is a city web site and most cities web sites I have visited do the same thing.
However your little city has 10 times the population of our whole county. There really is no comparison between where you live to where we live.  Sorry.

flintauqua

Ross,

The question she asked was:
"Might I ask why it matters so much that EK activities not be listed on your website? Isn't it used as a sort of community bulletin board for the benefit of any interested people? No?"

How does the size of the community have anything to do with the appropriateness of having community organizations and their activities on a municipal or county website?

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Roma Jean Turner

Jane

Because not only has she not been to Elk County in Years. She has to have a comment on everything that goes on in Elk County.

sixdogsmom

This thread is getting off subject, I don't think it was intended to give a drubbing to any one person.  :P
Edie

Diane Amberg

That's ok Six, it does mention gorillas in the title. Besides I'm wearing my fireproof clothes.  ;D  That just made my point. 2008 wasn't so very long ago. No, I don't comment on everything. I have spurts of comment when you talk about something I am interested in and then I go away when it has run itself out. Actually, we had hoped to come out again for a couple of weeks at the end of May, but now I'm too busy, the gas prices are prohibitive and I don't think I would be welcome. No point in coming out just to be shot at.  :-\ By the way, up until just a few years ago we still owned 240 acres in Elk County and paid taxes, yet we never made any comments on how they should be spent. In fact my family owned quite a lot of land out there for more than 100 years. Why wouldn't I be interested? I had the opportunity to buy the land from my father and continue to rent it out, but I finally decided against it.

Ross

Quote from: sixdogsmom on May 05, 2011, 06:05:02 PM
This thread is getting off subject, I don't think it was intended to give a drubbing to any one person.  :P

Right on.

Ross

Quote from: flintauqua on May 05, 2011, 02:58:12 PM
Ross,

The question she asked was:
"Might I ask why it matters so much that EK activities not be listed on your website? Isn't it used as a sort of community bulletin board for the benefit of any interested people? No?"

How does the size of the community have anything to do with the appropriateness of having community organizations and their activities on a municipal or county website?

It is not my web site. It is the County Government web site.
No the web site is not used as a community bulletin board.
Just as the crisis notification system is not a community notification system for Elk Konnected, LLC
or any other company. But Elk Konnected, LLC thought that because they have a member on the County Commissioners they thought the systems are there for their unauthorized use.

How do they do it in Arkansas? Do they compare apples and oranges?
She was comparing apples and oranges. A city web site and a county web site.
Comparing our community to her community. Her town something like 28,000 people and our county 3,000 maybe.
Elk Konnected, LLC is no different than any other company in Elk County. The rest of the companies can have a button under links to take a person to their web site as provided by the county government.
What is so special about Elk Konnected, LLC over the other companies.
It was the County Commissioners that broached the subject to the County Commissioners and she was doing her civic duty. Good lady.

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 05, 2011, 06:16:35 PM
That's ok Six, it does mention gorillas in the title. Besides I'm wearing my fireproof clothes.  ;D  That just made my point. 2008 wasn't so very long ago. No, I don't comment on everything. I have spurts of comment when you talk about something I am interested in and then I go away when it has run itself out. Actually, we had hoped to come out again for a couple of weeks at the end of May, but now I'm too busy, the gas prices are prohibitive and I don't think I would be welcome. No point in coming out just to be shot at.  :-\ By the way, up until just a few years ago we still owned 240 acres in Elk County and paid taxes, yet we never made any comments on how they should be spent. In fact my family owned quite a lot of land out there for more than 100 years. Why wouldn't I be interested? I had the opportunity to buy the land from my father and continue to rent it out, but I finally decided against it.

You're funny. Keep the sense of humor.

Wilma

I agree with Diana on owning land that you can't take care of yourself.  We have enough absentee landowners in Elk County as it is.  I know they pay their share of taxes and they take care of their properties, but their main interest is somewhere else.  If everyone that owns land in Elk County actually lived on it, our population would be higher. and more money would be spent in Elk County.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk